Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just traded my cayman S for a 997 C2S...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 130 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
In the hand of two equal drivers, the 997S will be significantly faster. There is a reason that the 997S is in C class and the Cayman S in D. I suspect that there was a skill difference in the two cars you instructor friend saw. I've schooled some poorly driven fast cars (Cam Am Lola, Ferrari GTP Spice, Indy Lights, etc...) at the track in my D class 964 turbo, but that doesn't mean my car is equal to them.
Try to find a copy of the March 2005 Road & Track where a Boxster S (with 280hp) and a 355hp 997S C2 coupe were tested in a 9 car camparison with 7 other sports cars. The 997S was quicker than the Boxster in a straight line, as you would expect, but on a 1.6 mile road course, with the same skilled driver (Steve Millen) the Boxster's handling held the 997 to a mere half second advantage. Factor in the additional hp and torque of the latest Boxster S or the stiffer Cayman S chassis, and the difference would have been even smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Carrera, and if you were going to give me a car to replace my recently sold '99 996 it would have been a 997 (well, actually, make that a GT3). But honestly, the most significant difference between the 997 and the Boxster S/Cayman S isn't performance, it's price. Which is partly why, (plus wanting a roadster this time), our soon-to-arrive new Porsche will be a 2007 Boxster S. Anyway, these intra-family arguments are fine as long as we keep perspective.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:18 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny you guys are arguing about which would be faster at what track CaymanS or 997S
but one thing is for certain, Porsche ain't ever going to allow both to appear in the same race!!
hmm....

"It's nothing more than tradition. Porsche owners have for decades rebelled at any attempt by Porsche to abandon the rear engine. So Porsche engineering did their best.."

Funny you say the Porsche owners are rebelling...I posted a couple of polls here on Rennlist: one in the 996 GT3/2 forum and another in the 996 forum asking if mid engine place were an "option" in your Carrera would you check that box? After several hundred votes in each,
70% of the GT2/GT3 forum respondents said they would opt for the middle engine.
while 70% of the Standard/S/4 owners said they would not opt for it.

I thought that was a very interesting dichotomy since most GT2/GT3 owners are not 1st time Porsche owners and are more likely to have partaken in at least one DE/Autocross or some other form of formal driving instruction during their Porsche ownership. So its hard to say what most 911 owners would prefer, I'd say its more of real world issue than performance based. The average and older 911 owner needs the almost back seat. I'm thinking 911 sales would tank if became a two seater.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perfectlap
The average and older 911 owner needs the almost back seat. I'm thinking 911 sales would tank if became a two seater.
Are those little cubby holes back there really that important? I look at the 911 as more of a 2 - 3 seater anyway. There's no way anyone could fit back there behind me, because whoever would try to sit back there has this problem: THEY HAVE LEGS. If the passenger puts the seat up then someone could sit behind them, but behind the driver, no way. Which is why I'm almost inclined to get the Cayman. I'd rather have the engine behind me then two pretend seats.

However I have this issue with the Cayman: Porsche intentionally made the car "not as fast" as a 911. I just don't see why Porsche doesn't make the Cayman all it can be an then charge more for it. I wouldn't mind paying more for a "real" Cayman. Or at least Porsche should make a "GT3" version of the Cayman and price it high so people who don't care about "having a 911" or having Barbie doll backseats could have another option.

I'm sorry but I really want to get either a 911 or a Cayman but I just can't decide. Rather then finding good reasons to buy one or the other, I seem to just do the opposite and find good reasons NOT to buy one or the other.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:05 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford a 911 C2 then purchase it - there is no substitute... Yes - you can purchase a Cayman S and bolt up more performance but why pay that kind of money when you can get a Boxster S and drop the top?

The Cayman should be priced below the Boxsters - but that's my opinion.

Boxster
Cayman

(and I own a 911 and Boxster)

oh - and if you want a C4S just purchase a damn Cayenne...

NOW you all know where I am coming from
Old 03-14-2007, 07:48 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Lots of peole feel the same way, but as long as Porsche keeps selling them at the higher price, they would be fools to charge less.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:31 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
If you can afford a 911 C2 then purchase it - there is no substitute... Yes - you can purchase a Cayman S and bolt up more performance but why pay that kind of money when you can get a Boxster S and drop the top?

Boxster
Cayman

(and I own a 911 and Boxster)

oh - and if you want a C4S just purchase a damn Cayenne...

NOW you all know where I am coming from
I almost disagree with this entire post

I think it really depends upon how you intend to use your Porsche.

If you intend to have a dual street/track car (which is what I will get if I get another Porsche in the near future), I would rank it like this:

997 GT3
997 GT3 RS
Cayman S
997 C2S
997 C2
Nothing else would be acceptable.

If I were getting a pure street car, I would rank them as follows:

997 Targa
997 TT
997 C2S
997 C2
Boxster S
Nothing else would be acceptable

But that's just me. I think the Cayman S is an outstanding track car. It offers incredible out of the box performance for a very, very reasonable price. Put me in a Cayman S, give me a little while to get used to it, and I bet I can keep most 911s, including 997 C2Ss, at bay despite the HP differences . . .
Old 03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is it something in our water that makes us think like this?

Old 03-14-2007, 11:15 AM
HHANS951
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We just finished our first Cayman S with RUF Kompressor and Coilover Suspension, i can assure that setup is capable of taking on any GT3, extremely impressive
Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 AM
HHANS951
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default RUF Cayman Kompressor

Pics
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2007, 11:25 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that's what I am talking about . . .
Old 03-14-2007, 12:50 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

when you say the Cayman should be priced below the Boxster are you referring to the 3.4 Cayman?
3.4 engines are a BoxsterS option, not yet standard.

as for the wishful thinking 911 back seats, they are not intended for adults. That's the whole point.
Bet you the average 911 owner is in his late 40's mid 50's and has 2.5 children under the age of 14
aka 'tweens". Wifey won't allow a toy in the garage that (in theory) can't be used to pick up the kids from school.
Wifey always has the final OK on ALL car purchases, well 97.5% of the time (based on an a VERY official study).

p.s.
I also find it interesting that Porsche is still trying to market the CaymanS as a stepping stone to the pricier 911S and many TV car shows and Magazines like to parrot this marketing scheme in their discussios of the CaymanS. Meanwhile, the average enthusiast doesn't see the CaymanS as a stepping stone to anything, more of stepping stone to a purer sports coupe.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HHANS951
We just finished our first Cayman S with RUF Kompressor and Coilover Suspension, i can assure that setup is capable of taking on any GT3, extremely impressive
At what cost?

Old 03-14-2007, 04:18 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

p.s. Mr. RUF,
Can I have a ride?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

OH - P.P.S - Mr. RUF - me too?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Moderato
Racer

Originally Posted by perfectlap
when you say the Cayman should be priced below the Boxster are you referring to the 3.4 Cayman?
3.4 engines are a BoxsterS option, not yet standard.

as for the wishful thinking 911 back seats, they are not intended for adults. That's the whole point.
Bet you the average 911 owner is in his late 40's mid 50's and has 2.5 children under the age of 14
aka 'tweens". Wifey won't allow a toy in the garage that (in theory) can't be used to pick up the kids from school.
Wifey always has the final OK on ALL car purchases, well 97.5% of the time (based on an a VERY official study).

p.s.
I also find it interesting that Porsche is still trying to market the CaymanS as a stepping stone to the pricier 911S and many TV car shows and Magazines like to parrot this marketing scheme in their discussios of the CaymanS. Meanwhile, the average enthusiast doesn't see the CaymanS as a stepping stone to anything, more of stepping stone to a purer sports coupe.
If all of that is true, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a CaymanS and a Subaru Outback for picking up the kids, then just buying one 997S?

Quick Reply: Just traded my cayman S for a 997 C2S...