Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman RS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 12:00 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys,
Sadly I beleive the ONLY reason they still have a dry sump motor is for racing. They want to race the 911 and to do that effectively they need the dry sump motor. To homologate the dry sump motor they offer the GT3 RS. As side benefit they can take the GT3 cup and put an interior and sell that on street. So IMHO the only reason they still make the dry sump motor is for racing. They have no reason to put that motor in the Cayman as it will never be raced. So why go through the design effort for a car they will never race. General public will be fine with 3.6L wet sump motor in a Cayman if they need more hp.

Or so they think.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
I think the reality is that Porsche will not let a Cayman be faster than a 911 in similar trim and exclusivity levels. In other words...

Base Cayman < 911 Base
Cayman S = 911 Base < 911S (obviously approximately)
Cayman RS = 911S < 911GT3

I still think it's a possibility to see a dry-sump, detuned version of the 3.8 in a Cayman RS. Or a revved up, dry-sump version of the 3.6. HP numbers could be 320-330 and built in limited numbers. The interior could be quite spartan as to not cannibalize regular 911 sales. It would be in an entirely different market segment than the 911 Carerra and 911 Carerra S and also be limited in production. I really don't see anything from Porsche that makes me think they outright WOULDN'T do it. But I don't know that they will either.
The way to keep the Cayman RS from eating into 911 sales is to strip away the luxury items. No sat-nav, 10 speaker stereo, no heated seats, no self-dimming mirrors...maybe they will race it one day. They are, after all, a business and a business will do whatever it has to do to make money. If there ever comes a time when they think they can sell more Caymans than 911s they won't hesitate to make the Cayman faster.

c
Old 10-28-2006, 04:58 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not a Cayman RS with the 2.7? A lot of us just crave the light weight and return to simplicity. A 2.7 trimmed down to equal the lap times of a 3.4 would be one heck of a fun car, and easier on the wallet, particularly if the car came with some trick bits that racers would typically buy, e.g., GT3-style seats, better oiling system or more robust internals, fixed wing and small splitter, etc. Porsche could then make a bundle selling RS aero, seats, wheels to owners of other Caymans. Win-win?

The 2.7 RS wouldn't threaten anything, since street users would still want the 3.4 and the only the hardcore would want a stripped down car with the mere 2.7 (which would make a paltry 10 extra hp to justify the fact it would be priced between a base and an S despite the lack of content). I'd sure as heck be interested in that car. Dealers would like it b/c they'd make a better margin on it, at least initially. How 'bout the rest of you?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^ I like that idea. ^
Old 10-28-2006, 05:53 PM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea too, and I'll bet that various engineers and petrol heads within Porsche would like it too, but sadly we all know it's never gonna happen.

Why? Because the accountants and the product planners would never ever go with it, as there is no way it would make LOTS of money, Porsche's only reason for doing anything these days. The only reason for making an RS or a Club Sport version is so that is is a premium product, at a premium price, with a huge profit margin, and also positioned in the overall range so as not to impact on sales of any other model.

Sorry ... Cayman 2.7 RS ... never gonna happen (more's the pity!)

McJohn

(Mind you, just think ... 30mm lowered sports suspension without PASM, 18" lightweight wheels, GT3 seats, less sound deadening, sports exhaust, greatly reduced options list, lsd, no metallic colours, just bright flat tones like the old 968 CS ... MMMM!)
Old 10-28-2006, 06:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,739 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by McJohn

(Mind you, just think ... 30mm lowered sports suspension without PASM, 18" lightweight wheels, GT3 seats, less sound deadening, sports exhaust, greatly reduced options list, lsd, no metallic colours, just bright flat tones like the old 968 CS ... MMMM!)
i have been wishywashy on this issue.
but i have thought about buying a black cayman with zero option and do just what you said.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:56 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i have been wishywashy on this issue.
but i have thought about buying a black cayman with zero option and do just what you said.
That's it and then bring it to Farnbacher Loles for 3.8 X51 package

Come on, Do it, Do it!!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,739 Likes on 2,348 Posts

i'll do everything except the engine bits.
i am too chicken to touch that as if anything goes wrong i have no hope.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:19 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i'll do everything except the engine bits.
i am too chicken to touch that as if anything goes wrong i have no hope.
I'm just teasing you but it seems that Farnbacher, is a very reputable company that will back their products, if anything goes wrong.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:22 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

I live about 5 mins from the Farnbacher shop and it is amazing. It is nicer than my house. They can even park their entire race rig indoors.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:50 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Car
Why not a Cayman RS with the 2.7? A lot of us just crave the light weight and return to simplicity. A 2.7 trimmed down to equal the lap times of a 3.4 would be one heck of a fun car, and easier on the wallet, particularly if the car came with some trick bits that racers would typically buy, e.g., GT3-style seats, better oiling system or more robust internals, fixed wing and small splitter, etc. Porsche could then make a bundle selling RS aero, seats, wheels to owners of other Caymans. Win-win?

The 2.7 RS wouldn't threaten anything, since street users would still want the 3.4 and the only the hardcore would want a stripped down car with the mere 2.7 (which would make a paltry 10 extra hp to justify the fact it would be priced between a base and an S despite the lack of content). I'd sure as heck be interested in that car. Dealers would like it b/c they'd make a better margin on it, at least initially. How 'bout the rest of you?
This is such a great idea I used the "quoted" reply just to re-iterate it
Old 10-29-2006, 03:31 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cavlino
This is such a great idea I used the "quoted" reply just to re-iterate it
Yeah and why not make it an affordable series just like in the old days with the Rothmans 944 cup series. This is the idea I had in the back of my mind when I posted earlier about the Cayman "RS". Make a lightweight car to homoligate the series........
Old 10-29-2006, 03:47 PM
kd4yor
Advanced

C7RS Cup car, complete with cage, extinguisher and a decent contingency package. Kind of like an entry series for the "real" cup cars.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:00 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the low end engine'd RS is a great idea. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:44 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

I've been waiting for a sharper Cayman as well, and really the only thing the car needs is bit less power assist in the steering, a somewhat more aggressive suspension, less weight with really grippy cloth seats, and a LSD. The 2.7 is a great idea, if it will satisfy their current marketing schemes. I don't expect Porsche to drop in a dry-sump engine. I just want them to make the car they sort of implied they would make -- a sharper, more visceral Boxster coupe -- and while the CS is really nice, I just don't feel the difference like I'd hoped. Now, I've got the itch for the Exige S, but I'd honestly only drive such an iron-maiden on track days and that would be a waste. A Porsche is for everyday and that's why they've got to give us a better Cayman. Actually, I just got an email form Farnbacher-Loles that they will sell their LSD (60-40) for the 987 Boxster and Cayman for $2995 (old news for many on this board, I'm sure). Considering the deals some dealers are offering on the Cayman, it could be rationalized as an aftermarket "option." However, there is something more special, somehow, in a factory car with the right equipment.

Quick Reply: Cayman RS?