Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wavering on the Cayman, your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:49 PM
EBMCS03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Guys,

I'm just buying time. Please give me a break.

As for colors, my finalist are Meteor, Cobalt, and Artic Silver. Still must see Meteor in person first.

CP

Atric Silver Artic Silver!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:59 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Eric,

How much did she pay you to ask this?

No, it means Margaret is getting the RX330. I will use the Cayman as my daily driver, and keep the Ruf BTR for ultimate fun runs.

CP
Our agreement is that I'd get to ride in it once in a while.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:04 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Hi,

The local Mazda dealer got their first MX-5 PRHT (Power Operated Hard Top), so I went over for a look-see and test-drive.

Visual: Starting from the rear, there is the trunk , then the boot area where the HT folds into, then the bubble of the roof starts. As such, the proportion is really weird. The top looks really small compared to the rest of the car, and seems to sit way forward in the car. I believe they have to do that so the HT does not fold into the truck and wipe out the trunk space. Definitely a case of form following function.

The passenger head rest, the roll bar behind it, and the C-pillar of the hard top created a HUGE blind spot on the driver side. I would be leary backing out, as I cannot see anything coming from the passenger side. The Cayman has a similar issue, but nowhere close to this magnitude. But then if one drives with the top down, that's no issue whatsoever.

Driving experience: Even with the HT on, the car was still bouncy and noisy. The Cayman definitely delivers a class-A ride compared to the PRHT Miata. So the decision stands. Cayman it is.

CP

Last edited by CP; 09-21-2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:07 AM
EBMCS03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phew!! Gald to hear you're sticking with the Cayman!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:33 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atomic80
I thought you were going to go with Cobalt blue. I was at the dealership the other day and took some pictures comparing color samples.

This is especially for you, Pong.

Seal vs Meteor grey

Same

Cobalt vs Zenith blue

The interesting thing is that when I put both samples of grey outside on a seal grey Cayman, it was VERY hard to tell the difference between the two shades of grey. IMHO, my favorite colors on the Cayman S is either Cobalt blue or Meteor/Seal grey.

saw a white one with Red interior and the 20 spoke 19" wheels at the Mall. Very very very nice looking under the street lamps. I cursed that guy for being cooler than me.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:09 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was at the Lowe's Auto Fair this weekend in Charlotte - hanging with a few PCA buds - no car, obviously. Anyway, Hendrick has a CS there and I finally get a good look at the car. From what I see - I like it alot. I have no idea how it runs.

I'm curious about the whole "engine in the cabin" thing. The engine isn't "outside" of the car now - separated by a firewall. I gues that cover in the hatch comes off to reveal the top of the engine. is this correct?

I'm curious about the noise level in the car, heat, and how the engine sounds?
Is CS engine more accessible than 987?

(i need to know these things, i'm a 944 guy - i'm expected to fix it if it breaks )

Last edited by fezz; 09-19-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

engine noise is not louder than 911, 993. a tad louder than 996 997

yes, the cover under the hatch comes out to reveal top of motor.
the engine is just as accessable or just as inaccessable as that of the boxster motor.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:13 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
the engine is just as accessable or just as inaccessable as that of the boxster motor.
too bad, it looked like more of the engine could be exposed. still curious if you can feel the engine heat on extended trips?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by fezz
too bad, it looked like more of the engine could be exposed. still curious if you can feel the engine heat on extended trips?
some did mention that they can feel the engine heat.
i can't, even at 100+ temp, i feel fine in the car. not any warmer than my 996 or boxster with top up.

Quick Reply: Wavering on the Cayman, your opinion?