Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fabspeed Cayman Exhaust - Group Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:10 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fabspeed Cayman Exhaust - Group Buy!

Guys we are doing a big buy on the new Fabspeed Cayman/987 exhaust system.

Full stainless steel exhaust system that saves over 10lbs on the rear end. High polished system guaranteed not to cause any check engine lights. Better throttle response, improved sound, and dyno horsepower increase by 19.4 on a Dyno Jet. No resonance while driving at highway speeds.

Available with optional chrome tips. Dual tip adds style to the rear end of all Caymans. Look more aggressive and stand out.

Price without tips is $1295 SHIPPED.
Price with tips is $1695 SHIPPED.

CLICK HERE FOR DYNO SHEET

CLICK HERE FOR SOUND AND VIDEO
Old 05-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Helo Driver
Advanced

I notice that this says: Flywheel Power Graph at the top? The dyno's that I'm familiar with calculate Wheel Horse Power? Is that what you've done here?

Also: Is that a heat sheild underneath it? Is that on our stock Cayman S' or is that something you put on?

Shane
Old 05-01-2006, 11:03 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

That heat shield is already there.

They corrected the WHEEL horsepower to crank horsepower. 2wd is about a 20% drive train loss to get wheel horsepower.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Cayman has about a 20% hp loss through the drive train? Why so high compared to other Porsche models? The hp gains should be reported as rwhp gains from baseline rwhp measures because that's how hp is estimated once the engine is in the car. Even fifteen hp would be a very impressive gain from just an exhaust system.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That picture on the right does not look like a stock Cayman exhaust tip (it looks like the stock exhaust for the non-S Boxster). All the stock Cayman exhaust I have seen look like this....
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2006, 01:45 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

See here for a nice independent write up on the Fabspeed exhaust:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...postid=2962266
Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

The exhaust fits both 987 and Cayman. That is why we have that picture.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

The Cayman actually picked up a total of +19.4HP as measured at the rear hubs on a Dyna pack Dyno. Therefore the actually power at the engine flywheel is even great by a multiplier.

The Cayman had our Fabspeed Motosrport Stage 3 system consisting of equal length headers with high velocity merge collectors and race cats, maxflo performance exhaust (same height as factory Porsche BUT ours is mirror show polished), a BMC F1 airfilter and Cup airbox mod. We can find another 10 to perhaps 20 more HP with severla more products that we are developing. Farnbacher Lolles already has a +11HP chip and we will get ther soon. The 987 and Cayman are great cars. They ROCK!

best regards
Joe Fabiani
fabspeed motorsport
www.fabspeed.com
info@fabspeed.com
215-646-4945 (9882fax)
Old 05-11-2006, 08:46 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm interested, but the information at the site conflicts with what you posted. The website says up to 19.4 HP WITH the Stage 3 kit (which includes headers, intake, etc.). Are you saying just the exhaust gives 19.4 HP? Can you clarify please?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:20 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron
IMO, you should buy an aftermarket exhaust for better sound, not for any advertised HP gains, unless you get a written, full money back guarantee from the seller that you will actually achieve the advertised gain. Then dyno before and after. I don't know if Fabspeed (or any other manufacturer) would provide such a guarantee.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:56 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Oh, I know... I got my AFE / Shark / Borla for a variety of reasons and none of them was for "gobs" of promised HP. Light weight and easier breathing always interests me. What got me curious was the promise of this post that you got 19.4 HP from the exhaust alone, when the Fabspeed site clearly says you get up to 19.4 when you buy the whole State 3 kit... Was looking for clarification ;-)
Old 05-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Ron: Being a bimmerhead, you may remember the cat back sport exhaust dyno test that one of the BMW mags (can't remember if it was Roundel or Bimmer) did a few years ago. They tested all the ones I'd heard of, as well as a few I hadn't heard of. They showed the figures and graphs for them all, including data on sound characteristics. If I recall correctly, the winner showed about a 4 hp gain, several showed hp losses, but most were very close to baseline hp. Their concluding advice was to buy an aftermarket exhaust for the sound you prefer.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

No doubt Jim. I got the Borla for two reasons. One is it represented a HUGE weight savings over OEM (20 lbs). Sound isn't what I'm after, but rather performance and losing 20 lbs is nice. The combination of intake / software / exhaust provides real gains not only in HP / Torque (which aren't really needed), but response is improved.

I'm trying to learn more about P-cars in preparation for my joining the group ;-) I know there are some airboxes for cars like mine that do nothing, while others (like my AFE) that provide some real gains. Same with exhaust and software. I'm not looking for miracles.

My original point in posting was to ask Dan at Vividracing (original poster) which is it - does the Fabspeed give 19.4 HP for just the exhaust as he wrote, or is it 19.4 for the entire Stage 3 kit (headers, intake, exhaust, etc.) as is listed on the Fabspeed web site. One of them must be a typo, so I'm just trying to get clarification. Certainly 19.4 HP for just an exhaust is not feasible in my opinion. Even if you went straight pipes I don't think you would see that. To get 19.4 would call for at least a less restrictive intake, a less restrictive exhaust, and software to optimize everything.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Joe said the 19.4 hp gain was with their Stage 3 system. As you say, that much gain from just an exhaust change would fall in the miracle category.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

That exhaust pictured is not a Cayman exhuast, it's a boxster's. And $400 for chromed exhaust tips??? come on man...that's a little over kill IMO. $250 sure, but 4 bills?

Quick Reply: New Fabspeed Cayman Exhaust - Group Buy!