Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche for Commute

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Murat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche for Commute

So I test drove a Cayman S, and a Boxster S today. Fantastic cars! I decided to get myself a nice car , something i'd love for my 30th b-day which is very soon. There is no doubt I like both Porsches.
I live in San Francisco and commute 20 miles to work each way every day. Does anyone drive a Porsche to work? Is it too noisy, and too expensive to be putting 40 miles on it every day?
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Old 04-22-2006, 10:17 PM
himichael
Instructor

For me it's a joy to commute in a Porsche. I commuted in a 2000 C2 and in a 2005 GT3. I had the same distance but not much traffic. Southern California.

I think the Cayman S would be the perfect commuter sports car. Better than the ragtop.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

either car will commute well.
here in SF, if you like the breezing coolness in the city, i got will convertable.
i hope you have a garage in SF, else your bumper will be history in no time.
i put 30k miles on my porsche every year. the more you drive them, the more you love them. why park it?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Murat
Advanced

I test drove other convertibles, as well. Z4 and the SLK. I would rank them as boxster, z4 and SLK being last.
I like the idea of having a convertible, especially when the weather is suitable, but
1. There is something about he Cayman S's design I like better. The top makes it look like a Carrera I guess.
2. While I was test driving the Z4, someone yelled at me "Sissy!" , you should have seen the salesman's face
3. When I asked about his opinion, the Porsche dealer told me that he thinks boxster is a "girly car" in his own words
4. I don't how often I would really be opening the top in San Francisco. It rained like hell this winter.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:09 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I commute about 1800 mi. per month with the Cayman and there isn't a single thing I can complain about it. When windows are closed, it is quite, I have PASM and the ride is quite nice, even on the softer side for me. I don't think I can stand the commute if it was not for the Cayman.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Murat
how often I would really be opening the top in San Francisco. It rained like hell this winter.
dont remind me.
i hate this weahter, and it's april we are not in winter anymore, though it does feel like it.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Hunt589
2nd Gear

Default Cayman S Commuter Car

Just logged 2700 miles on my new Cayman S, used as a daily driver on rough MA roads. My commute is a 50 mile round trip per day affair. Car has 19's, PASM and sport chrono plus.
I test drove a C2, C2S and Boxster S before making my decision...... Despite "sport" set up on the Cayman S, I found it was the most quiet, well balanced and plenty fast. I found it to be the most forgiving ride and could not be happier with my decision so far.

Last edited by Hunt589; 04-28-2006 at 10:42 PM. Reason: unknown Font error
Old 04-24-2006, 05:33 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

2. While I was test driving the Z4, someone yelled at me "Sissy!" , you should have seen the salesman's face
Harsh! I've got a Z4 and the only thing anyone's ever yelled is "Nice car."
Old 04-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Murat
Advanced

Originally Posted by epbrown01
Harsh! I've got a Z4 and the only thing anyone's ever yelled is "Nice car."
How do you compare it to the Cayman S or the Boxster / Boxster S ?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

I had a 2003 Z4 3.0 with sport package. The Z had the worst tramlining of any car I have ever driven and I put on 17" wheels to help reduce the problem. It also had a very stiff ride. Between the tramlining, sensitive steering and stiff suspension the car could get squirrelly when pushed. The Cayman S is faster, more comfortable, more stable and more confidence inspiring. It is a far superior driver's car.

The Z4 was a real head turner and got lots of attention. At a laid back cruising speed with the top down it was great. As a sports car, it left a lot to be desired.

Alan
Old 04-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Murat
Advanced

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
I had a 2003 Z4 3.0 with sport package. The Z had the worst tramlining of any car I have ever driven and I put on 17" wheels to help reduce the problem. It also had a very stiff ride. Between the tramlining, sensitive steering and stiff suspension the car could get squirrelly when pushed. The Cayman S is faster, more comfortable, more stable and more confidence inspiring. It is a far superior driver's car.

The Z4 was a real head turner and got lots of attention. At a laid back cruising speed with the top down it was great. As a sports car, it left a lot to be desired.

Alan
Thanx for the reply, I assume you must be getting much more attention with that yellow Cayman S. Am I right?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:40 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Thanx for the reply, I assume you must be getting much more attention with that yellow Cayman S. Am I right?
It has stopped traffic. I was at a stop sign when the guy proceeding on the cross street noticed the car and literally stopped in the middle of the intersection while he and his passenger stared at the car.

Alan
Old 04-25-2006, 04:53 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

The Z4 has a better chassis and better acceleration due to more low-end torque. The Boxster has better steering (due to the Z4's electric-assisted steering, rather than hydraulic) and a better suspension.

There's nothing to be done about the steering (which isn't bad, just not as good as the Boxster), but the Z4 can be dramatically improved by dropping the RFTs (run-flat tires) and going with Goodyear Eagle F1s or Pirelli P-zero Neros. I switched my 16" RFTs for 18" rims with the Pirellis and the improvement in ride and handling is phenomenal (an observation shared by every Z4 owner that's made the switch, even those with the sport suspension).

My suspicion is that BMW pretty much used the E46 3-series suspension unchanged for the Z4 instead of adjusting it for run-flats - and since I've got an E46 3-series from the same year as my Z, I speak with a dollop of experience. The new facelifted models do better with RFTs, but since 2003 BMW has developed and released the new E90 3-series, which comes with RFTs - they've learned a lot in that time. I think the new Z4s benefited from trickle-down from the E90.

On other fronts: I think the Z4 has a roomier cabin (especially head-room) but not quite as much storage space (slightly less trunk space, the glovebox is strictly for gloves). I like the exterior looks of the Z4 more than the Boxster (I think the car has to be seen in the metal to really appreciate it though - I didn't like it until I started seeing one on my commute almost daily; it looks especially wicked with the optional hardtop), and I like the interior looks of the Z4 a bit more as well. That said, I like the Cayman more than the Z4 Coupe.

So, by changing the tires, you get a car that's darn close to the Boxster in terms of performance, for less money, with a longer warranty, with included maintenance, and without risk of RMS troubles down the road. How close? Closer than most people give it credit for. For an idea, stop by video.google and watch the 5th Gear comparison. This is a stock Z4, on the track, with two pretty decent drivers - not going all out, but pushing on a bit.

In summary, the Boxster is a better car out of the box, and a slightly better car even after the tires are changed on the Z4, but for me the difference wasn't big enough to warrant the price premium of the Boxster. The Porsche is the better car, the Z4 the better value.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:58 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by epbrown01
I switched my 16" RFTs for 18" rims
In summary, the Boxster is a better car...but for me the difference wasn't big enough to warrant the price premium of the Boxster.
I take it you didn’t get the 3.0 since you got 16" wheels. I drove a Z4 2.5 with sport package for a weekend and loved it. The lowered and stiffer suspension with larger tires on the 3.0 wasn't nearly as nice a car. In 2003 I felt just like you did and didn't want to spend the extra money for my second car. After 1,000 mile in my Cayman S I have come to appreciate the overall driving experience of a Porsche and it is now worth the premium price to me.

Alan
Old 04-25-2006, 10:51 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I test drove a Cayman S, and a Boxster S today. Fantastic cars! I decided to get myself a nice car , something i'd love for my 30th b-day which is very soon. There is no doubt I like both Porsches.
I live in San Francisco and commute 20 miles to work each way every day. Does anyone drive a Porsche to work? Is it too noisy, and too expensive to be putting 40 miles on it every day?
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
there's nothing noisy or uncomfortable about a newer Porsche. they're made for commuting!

Quick Reply: Porsche for Commute