Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono not so great at the track...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:22 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport Chrono not so great at the track...

The Sport Chrono package in Sport mode is fun around town, but on the track the throttle looses quite a bit of finesse; slight throttle modulations become way too abrupt.

Seems these agressive throttle maps are only meant for the street. I had the same issue with the Sport mode in the E46 M3.

I definitely wouldn't buy it again.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

great feedback

one less item to check off
Old 03-31-2006, 08:43 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

The oddity is that in sport mode it puts the PSM into a less aggressive mode, which is nice for the first few times out on the track when getting to know the car. But then you hit the overly touchy throttle. Fortunately about the time the throttle starts to bug you, you are ready to go with the PSM completely off. So, for an experieced track junkie, it is of value for about one track day

The chronograph is totally useless unless you also have the PCM (Nav); with the latter you can get lap times which would be nice. But then I use a Race Tech DL1 for that

Anyway, if you are a track junkie, the Sport Chrono Package is basically useless at best.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:46 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm thats good information. If i were to buy the cayman S I would have put the sports chrono on it. I will pass that info to a friend looking to a buy a cayman
Old 03-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche needs to let us order the car with nothng

all I want is a shell, motor + drivetrain..

I wont even mind delivery of it with steel wheels + hubcaps...
Old 03-31-2006, 08:58 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe that if you can wait a little bit, there will be a race version available reasonably soon; think Cayman Cup racecar This is based on some rumors and a few bits of info that Porsche plans to either race the Cayman or provide race versions for other teams to race. No info on the timing.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:53 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good info. However, even when turned "off" PSM lurks in the shadows ready to intervene if preset parameters are met. The SC sport mode raises the bar before PSM "off" intervention allowing the driver more control. That would seem to be desireable for track use. SC seems like a Catch 22 - if you want a less intrusive PSM, you get reduced throttle control. Is that correct?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:06 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is indeed the Catch-22.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,794 Likes on 2,373 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
I believe that if you can wait a little bit, there will be a race version available reasonably soon; think Cayman Cup racecar This is based on some rumors and a few bits of info that Porsche plans to either race the Cayman or provide race versions for other teams to race. No info on the timing.
pete, i hope you are right.
if they release it, i will get one, divorce or not!
i wonder if i can reg a race car in washington or oregon, LOL.

i think cayman will be raced in grand am cup, my guess really. but i am not sure it will be a factory supplied race car like cup car. but if they do, it's gonna be HOT. of course i am expecting it be cheaper than GT3 cup cars.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never driven a hair-trigger throttle before, but I'm learning how to use it. I was somewhat disappointed after my first day a VIR, and part of that was not knowing how to use the quick throttle. A friend rode with me the first session the next day and it was a whole different, and positive, experience. Now I'm starting to like it, except on the road, where I prefer the standard throttle response. I still need to learn more about how to use the strange (to me anyway) gear ratios.

PSM may still be lurking when turned off, but I've read that it will only be activated when ABS is activated. Thus, it won't intervene to keep the car from spinning, or crashing for that matter.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:35 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"A friend rode with me the first session the next day and it was a whole different, and positive, experience."

So your friend gave you some tips on how to use the sensitive throttle?

tino
Old 04-02-2006, 03:13 AM
wushuhsu
Intermediate

Doesn't Sports Chrono also up the rev limiter? That might be useful for the track.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:39 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wushuhsu
Doesn't Sports Chrono also up the rev limiter? That might be useful for the track.
No it does not do that.

I am on the complete opposite ned of the specturn from you, pstoppani. I find the SC throttle response as a must at the track and I loved it with the Bimmer as well

It becomes so easy to modulate the throttle application mid corner, the response comes without any delay. I am not sure how one can drive with the regular throttle response as the reaction is significantly delayed and you have to think of timing the throttle application sometime before you actually need it. Granted it is just a fraction of a second, but the delay is there and as I squueze the throttle, because of the delay, I tend to give more gas than I actually need. It just ruins the whole experience IMHO.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

tino: No, he gave no tips on using the quick throttle. I must have learned something on my own.

I think in Sport mode there is what Porsche called a "harder", rather than a raised, rev limiter. I'm not sure what that means. The quicker throttle response means that the revs increase quicker with pedal pressure, but they also decrease quicker when one lifts. It seemed to me that the quicker decrease in revs requires more precise timing for heel/toe downshifts; something I still have to work on, as mine were not as smooth as they were on my RSA because the revs stayed up a bit longer, thus giving me a somewhat wider window of opportunity to complete the shift while the revs are still up.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would be interested to hear your comments after a while using the PSM and Sport Chrono package - perhaps your not used to said configuration but with use and some driving style differences you might like it better over time?

Just playing devils advocate

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono not so great at the track...