Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how is cayman selling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:17 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

My dealer sold 3 Caymans the first month and has a few in stock. I don't think Chevy dropped off 5 or 6 Z06s at every dealer.

LOL I agree since there's probably 20 Chevy Dealers for every Porsche Dealer. Although I don't know the exact number of Z06s that GM will make, I believe it's around 5K for model year '06, and an unknown number of these will be sold abroad. I would imagine that the average Chevy Dealer will be fortunate to get one, so it's unlikely that you will see one at your local Chevy Dealer. Rumor is that Vette king, Kerbeck, is getting at least a dozen in '06.

It will be interesting to see how well the Cayman sells. The fact that there are so many in Dealer inventories is not a good sign for a new model, but maybe sales will pick up in the Spring.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:35 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

People who pay over sticker for any car are just in a rush and want one NOW. Time after time again, all the hot cars come out and after a while the prices cool off and you can get them for MSRP or less. You would think people would learn patience. On top of it, you end up getting a more refined car with more kinks worked out of it.

I ususally find that with hot model cars, especially in the spring time, dealers will give a much better deal on a ordered car. They want to keep the ones they have in stock to draw people into the dealership and also to hopefully sell it to someone that needs it now and is willing to pay over sticker. If you can do it, the best time to order a sports car is usually in the dead of winter on a really snowy weeknight like a monday after one of those snowy dead weekends in mid January where no one left the house for anything that saturday.

As far as the ZO6, one local dealer I went to claims he can order one with a small deposit, for december of 06' delivery as a 2007 at MSRP or a little better. And they will provide a VIN and production date to ensure that your car doesent get sold by the dealer and your prod date doesent get "pushed back"

As great as the ZO6 is, even if they were sitting on dealer lots availible right now at MSRP, there is only so many people that want one given it is the same price as a porsche or M3 and it is still a chevy. Put it this way, I think that whoever has the money for one and wants one will get his/her car before they cease production.

I still think any dealer selling any car at MSRP is just greedy. I mean OK, it is a hot car, you are not going to sell it for cheap, but you have to take at least 500-1000 off msrp on an ordered car to show that you want a customers buisiness, after all that is not alot off of a 70K dollar car.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:33 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well id have to say thats the beauty of selling a sportscar in So Cal. we have no "good times" to buy a car, its all the same for us. However I dont forsee it as long before the cayman is like the boxter in terms that we will soon have a descent inventory allowing us to provide discounts upwards of $1500. but Porsche didnt intend for the cayman to be anything more than a boxter from a dealer's standpoint.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

if anyone paid over msrp or even at msrp, they didn't shop hard enough or have any rapport with dealers. i got more than 1500 off with just ONE phone call.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:43 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid MSRP. There is no stock in the Northwest so there was exactly one car available. I did talk them into $1000 more on my trade. You Californians have a lot more choices
Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if anyone paid over msrp or even at msrp, they didn't shop hard enough or have any rapport with dealers. i got more than 1500 off with just ONE phone call.
Imaginen if you made TWO phone calls!

Old 02-26-2006, 08:26 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Imaginen if you made TWO phone calls!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:01 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, i have two of them.

what's in the total garage tally? (if you don't mind me asking)
Those are pics I'd love to see.
A client of my best friend has 18 cars including CGT,996TT(daily driver), A few of those Italian things with the horse and a slew of ducatis. (He's 65 and just had his license suspended for the 3rd time!)
Old 02-26-2006, 09:14 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i am not 65 yet, but i was close to have my lic suspended. then i found track driving, so i dont speed much anymore.

i sold the GT3 as i planned to race my M3 in BMWCCA. but the f'k bimmer blew up six days after i sold my beloved GT3 ugh. as of now, garage has A6 avant, S4 avant, two caymen. that's it. but if you can convince your friend to let me borrow his CGT, i will move all my cars and parked his CGT inside ;-)
Old 02-27-2006, 01:21 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

So what is the plan for 2 Caymans? One for daily driver, the other for track? Ha ha, and you called me *INSANE*

Enjoy!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:24 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

yes, pete. one for daily use one for track and with moton and heim joints it will be very noisy. you are "insane" i am "stupid".....

thought this 997GT3 is tickling me....
Old 02-27-2006, 02:20 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

"stupid" vs. "insane" : tough to differentiate those two

--
stu·pid ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

--
in·san·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-sn-t)
n. pl. in·san·i·ties
Persistent mental disorder or derangement. No longer in scientific use.
Law.
Unsoundness of mind sufficient in the judgment of a civil court to render a person unfit to maintain a contractual or other legal relationship or to warrant commitment to a mental health facility.
In most criminal jurisdictions, a degree of mental malfunctioning sufficient to relieve the accused of legal responsibility for the act committed.

Extreme foolishness; folly.
Something that is extremely foolish.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

yes, pete. one for daily use one for track and with moton and heim joints it will be very noisy. you are "insane" i am "stupid".....

thought this 997GT3 is tickling me....
Wow, insanity....

Lol, by the time the dealer sells your old GT3, you will have gone through 6-pcars at this pace.

I need to park near your house and wait for you to start disposing of your leftover cars.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:34 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

though this 997GT3 is tickling me....
Oh, forget that GT3... find a 996 GT3 motor and stuff it in the back of your track Cayman.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:13 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Lol, by the time the dealer sells your old GT3, you will have gone through 6-pcars at this pace.
________
they sold it.
i only gone through 3 p cars in that time.
i will try harder next round.

Quick Reply: how is cayman selling?