Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987S is CRAP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I am 6'1, 200 lbs. My initial impression was that the 987 would be too tight a fit. After a test run, I figured I could "make-do" since I liked the car so much in many other ways. The surprisng thing is, I can now get very comfortable, and in fact think there is room to spare. The imprssion of a tight fit was a wrong first impression for me. Of course, certain body types with too long legs and arms like King Kong ( heh-heh , just kidding Stacy) may find it tight I suppose. I don't believe the 996 offers more room. DMAC, if you can fit in the 996 cab, you should fit in the 987.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:56 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I don't have a 987, my first complaint is the car needs to loose 300-500lbs to really be fun. That of course would mean more aluminium and an even higher price, so I'm not really complaining. Guess I'll have to find a 986 instead and start stripping out the "crap"
Old 01-12-2006, 05:00 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about the 4-5 shift problem, try shifting this way...
turn your hand around so that your knuckles are facing the drivers door, and push in a diagonal motion and see if that makes in any easier
Old 01-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks. That's what I have learned to do. Maybe I need an old Hurst T handle bent a little to the left...
Old 01-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

I actually like the fact that there is a strong tendency for the gear shift lever to stay midline, along the 3-4 gear axis, and you have to make an equally strong deliberate movement to go to the 5-6 or 1-2 axis. It helps in DE, where you're doing almost everything by feel and instinct.

OTOH, I think it's too easy to go to reverse. There is very little additional force needed to go from the 1-2 axis to the reverse gear. I wish there was an additional movement, such as pushing the stick down, before you can shift into reverse. In autocross, I lose a few fractions of time downshifting from 2nd to 1st to make sure I don't inadvertently throw the car in reverse. Now THAT would be a spectacular mistake.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I am 6'1, 200 lbs. My initial impression was that the 987 would be too tight a fit. After a test run, I figured I could "make-do" since I liked the car so much in many other ways. The surprisng thing is, I can now get very comfortable, and in fact think there is room to spare. The imprssion of a tight fit was a wrong first impression for me. Of course, certain body types with too long legs and arms like King Kong ( heh-heh , just kidding Stacy) may find it tight I suppose. I don't believe the 996 offers more room. DMAC, if you can fit in the 996 cab, you should fit in the 987.
If I had pictures of me sitting in both, you would see. I couldn't work the clutch in the 987 without putting in a smaller diameter steering wheel. It may be because of my longer legs, but there is no way I fit comfortably as a driver in the 987. I did sit in it for about 10 minutes trying to make it work. Just wouldn't work for me as a daily driver.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

Racer--it's as fun as it gets for a street car. It would be fun to strip down a 986 S for the track, but I learned my lesson about doing that with street cars--not worth the tradeoffs.

As for the 4-5 shift--I don't have an issue at all. That shift effort out of the center plane is really no different than any German car I've driven in the last 10 years. 5th is always a deliberate "over and up." Either your shifter needs to be adjusted, or perhaps you need more practice? Try a short shifter car and see if that helps ya. I love mine
Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Heddok
Intermediate

PALTING--- I did exactly that!!! Was doing an AX in another province--( I'll show these guys how to drive!!!) I just was so slow doing the 2-1 downshift trying to get it just right. So the 3rd run- came up to the hairpin, 20 guys watching me at the corner, A PERFECT shift into REVERSE, the engine promptly quit the instant I started to let the clutch out and I slowly drifted to a stop. Had to turn the ignition off then on to get the engine refired, I'd forgotten in the heat of battle. I provided all the comic relief for all these Porsche guys I'd just met.

Bottom line there is a safety interlock of some kind that just kills the engine. Fortunately the clutch only ljust started to grab and I got it back in right away.

Brad ( I did that on purpose) Edmonton Canada
Old 01-13-2006, 03:41 PM
type987s
Instructor

1. Switchable Sport Exhaust
2. Much better stereo system (Bose = no highs, no lows) I replaced the Bose speakers in a Miata one time. I was amazed how light and crappy they were. The entire system came to life with .5 ohm speakers from Clearwater. Does anybody know whether the Porsche Bose system is .5 ohm?
3. Trim made from real aluminum
Old 01-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Happy to hear there is a safety mechanism when going to reverse accidently.

I second the motion for sports exhaust, The 987 exhaust sound is VASTLY improved from the 986, but I would like an exhausyt that approximates the 996 sport exhaust. More robust through all ranges and pedal pressure.

Having said that, I find the exhasut note of the 987S as it goes from 3k rpm to redline on WOT totally intoxicating!

How about an RS version? Stripped down to the bare essentials, chassis tuned to the naked weight....It may not be commercially viable, but boy, it would be a blast. Maybe the Cayman will come out with an RS version. The American buying public what it is, though, we may never see it this side of the Atlantic even if they came out with one.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

I'm 6'1 but with long legs of 36" inseam like someone who would be 6'4 if my upper body was proportional. I just barely fit the 987 with the seat pressed ALL the way back. No steering wheel rub but I need to put my knees out to the side a bit more than I would like. Still a bit tight but worth it for the car. Considered the 997 for this reason but not quite necessary after all.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:47 AM
cja
Intermediate

When I did the test drive... I couldn't recall... I didn't adjust the steering wheel but I thought the 987 is different from the 986 with electrical steering wheel adjustments (vertically) capability?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:15 PM
05Boxster
AutoX

The buttons on the radio are too small

Heated seats should be standard

I don't like having only ONE button on the key fob for lock/unlock, plus no audible warning. If you don't catch the blinking of the lights, you end up hitting the button three times to get it to lock, assuming it's already locked. If you have a separate button for lock, you just hit it again to make sure. I know, I know splitting hairs.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:21 AM
webnuts4u2
Track Day

No spare
No iPod connectivity
Gets dirty when driven
Old 02-05-2006, 02:17 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
OTOH, I think it's too easy to go to reverse. There is very little additional force needed to go from the 1-2 axis to the reverse gear. I wish there was an additional movement, such as pushing the stick down, before you can shift into reverse. In autocross, I lose a few fractions of time downshifting from 2nd to 1st to make sure I don't inadvertently throw the car in reverse. Now THAT would be a spectacular mistake.
Hmm, that's interesting. I cant comment on a 987, but I'm curious how you would compare it to your 996? My 996 has no such issues, it's very distinct when you are going all the way over to reverse, I would go so far as there's 99.9% no way to do it by accident unless you're REALLY asleep at the wheel.

Quick Reply: 987S is CRAP!!!!