Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few comments on the Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:44 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KBS911,
Excellence the Porsche experts if there are any in the world, said that with the exclusion of the Carrera GT and the RS GT3, the CaymanS might be the best handling Porsche EVER.

Considering the source and the many many P-cars they have driven, it makes me wonder as a BoxsterS owner if I would notice that huge a difference between the CaymanS and my car in the handling department.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

you would in the stiffness dpeartment. Remember the Cayman is SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer torsionally than the Boxster.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:44 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not huge but significant would be my guess.

tino
Old 12-30-2005, 03:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

While the Cayman S chassis and suspension are based on the Boxster’s, the coupe is slightly larger and gains rigidity from its fixed roof architecture. This stiffer structure allows Porsche engineers to optimize the coupe’s suspension for exceptional dynamic capabilities.

Compared to Porsche’s own outstanding roadster, the body of the Cayman S offers 100 percent more resistance to flex and its torsional stiffness nearly matches that of the heralded Porsche 911 Carrera.

I would say that 100% is seriously significant.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:48 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
Considering the source and the many many P-cars they have driven, it makes me wonder as a BoxsterS owner if I would notice that huge a difference between the CaymanS and my car in the handling department.
Likely not. Especially if not on a race track.

I think the cayman is an awesome little car. I just think a lot of people expected an inexpensive version of the GT3 with a dry sump. Not sure where they got that notion from. Am I disappointed. A little. But, in a few years if they overproduce these things you can pick them up cheap and stuff whatever motor you want in.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:54 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

perfectlap, I really don't think that you would notice a huge difference. The Boxster S is an awesome handling car. You may notice the stiffness difference "feel" however. I think that the difference would be objectively realized on the track or autoX course though by marginally better times (same driver) given the increase in hp.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:47 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I presume the the tin top will always be stiffer but say you drove an open top LMP (Le Mans Prototype) and then drove a similar chasis with a tin top would you think one would be significantly stiffer than the other?
I only ask because open top Prototypes from Audi obliterated all competitors for years. If the adding a top and pillars would have made the car stiffer why didn't they ever do it?
second question: Would a convertible CaymanS (less weight more power than a 986S and CaymanS) be quicker than a tin top CaymanS? Is extra rigidity betterif t comes with more weight?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
say you drove an open top LMP (Le Mans Prototype) and then drove a similar chasis with a tin top would you think one would be significantly stiffer than the other? I only ask because open top Prototypes from Audi obliterated all competitors for years. If the adding a top and pillars would have made the car stiffer why didn't they ever do it?
I am only guessing here but after getting up close to the R8 at Lime Rock I think if the Boxster was made out of as much carbon fiber the Cayman wouldn't be that much stiffer. There are also advantages to open cars in terms of heat and windshield fogging in the rain. If I can get into the paddock again this year I will ask.

Alan
Old 01-03-2006, 01:03 AM
jt993ttchicago
Advanced

You would really need to lay off the options to make the price savings worth it.

But I dont think that what Porsche did with this car, i.e. make a "cheaper entry level porsche" Automobile dynamics and physics show that a mid engine layout is more nuetral than rear. Not that they havent enginered the 911 to perfection,we know they did, but physics is physics.

The 911's character and driving expereince hinder on its rear engine layout in fact. It didnt matter if the engine was on the roof, Porsche is Porsche and they would have made it perfect! Drive a Cayenne Turbo if you dont believe me.

Anyway what Porsche wanted to do was offer another truely great automobile. I bet those enginers at weissach were dying inside b/c they new because of marketing reasons the 3.8 just wont make it into the caymen. Everyone knows what an amazing vehicle that would be and yearns for it. Take a Caymen with a 3.8 vs. A Carrera S onto the ring and measure the perfromance numbers AND driving impressions, my bet is the Caymen would win.

Anyway the caymen S is not a step down from the 911, just and alternative. ANd I love 911's (have a 993tt), but I bet I would love a caymen S 3.8 too! We all would. and I would buy a caymen because i want to feel what that particular platform has to offer me in terms of a driving experience.

The 911 does things for me in terms of character, history, look, etc the caymen just can"t. The Caymen will do things b/c of its mid engine layout a 911 can't. They're both great and Porsche should let us make the decision on what platform we want a 3.8 or even the 3.6 325 hp motor in Dammit b/c they're both great cars and I have a 2 car garage!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,791 Likes on 2,373 Posts

many seems to feel that cayman is a "baby" 911 or it's supposed to be inferior...
i think not. it's a different car, no better no worse, just different.
i talked to RUF, for $40k they will stuff a new crate 3.8L in cayman (you get your 3.4L back). so that's about $100k, similar to 997S.

it's your money, take your pick.
i think there will be a cayman in my garage by 1/15/05 (first day they can sell them).
Old 01-03-2006, 03:07 AM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jt993ttchicago
The 911 does things for me in terms of character, history, look, etc the caymen just can"t. The Caymen will do things b/c of its mid engine layout a 911 can't. They're both great and Porsche should let us make the decision on what platform we want a 3.8 or even the 3.6 325 hp motor in Dammit b/c they're both great cars and I have a 2 car garage!
Can I get an Amen? It's still fun to read the passionate views on which model is better, worse, conveys a what level of status, etc. I'd expect this level debate on Ford vs. Chevy.

Too bad my 2 car garage is full -- I need a bigger house and that won't happen anytime soon. Oh well, I'll just have to suck it up and enjoy the 997S for a few years.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Mooty brings up an excellent point. Base Cayman + a few options + Ruf 3.8L installation = slightly over $100k. 997S well-optioned = slightly over $100k. Hmmmm.....
Old 01-03-2006, 12:06 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
Mooty brings up an excellent point. Base Cayman + a few options + Ruf 3.8L installation = slightly over $100k. 997S well-optioned = slightly over $100k. Hmmmm.....
I think this will separate the real driving enthusiasts from the status seekers. My only problem with this scenario is that you usually don't get your money out of mods and most dealers prefer taking a stock car in trade when it is time for your next car. Will a Ruf conversion hold its value as well as a stock Porsche or is this a $40,000 option that the original owner will eat?

Alan
Old 01-03-2006, 12:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,791 Likes on 2,373 Posts

ruf will hold value very well, i think.

i think every p car is great. i had a 2002 box S. i drove the wheels right off it... I MEAN IT. it was fun, a different type of fun than my 996's and GT3.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
Base Cayman + a few options + Ruf 3.8L installation = slightly over $100k
Base Cayman + a few options + Ruf 3.8L installation = slightly over $100k minus the resale value of a new 295hp 3.4L Cayman S engine = ???

Quick Reply: A few comments on the Cayman S