Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few comments on the Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:29 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark34
Corvette... I think I would tire of it in a week if I had to drive it every day.
I think you underestimate the car. It took me two months to tire of driving my C6
Old 12-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

Maybe you'll get to roll your eyes in your mirrors as one passes you. That water cooled 6 cylinder just doens't excite the senses like a big bore V8.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:19 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Maybe you'll get to roll your eyes in your mirrors as one passes you. That water cooled 6 cylinder just doens't excite the senses like a big bore V8.
When pushed at 8 or 9/10ths my C6 was great fun. Unfortunately, you will lose your license if you drive like that too often on public roads. At 5/10ths the Corvette simply isn't that much fun to drive and the water cooled 6 and every other control in a Porsche are much more exciting to my senses. One review of the Z06 also commented that it isn't much fun to drive slow. As I have said before, if I were getting paid to win races I would buy a Corvette. Since I drive for personal pleasure I prefer a Porsche. The Corvette is a great car in many ways but it just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Last edited by BiggerTwin; 12-02-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

We are on opposite sides of the street. I don't drive my Porsche on the street more than a couple of times a year. I do have it on the track extensively in DE's and Club Races. Therefore my use for the tool is not the same. I see your point completely and agree that for your intended use the Caymen may well be the better choice.

When the 996 first came out I purchased a well optioned one with full leather, aero etc. It was a great touring car. One summer at the track and I traded it for a 94 3.6 Turbo with some nice mods. It was a whole lot more fun on the track.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:40 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

I don't drive my Porsche on the street more than a couple of times a year. I do have it on the track extensively in DE's and Club Races.
The Z06 should suit you well. Looking at your avatar, I assume you have the skill to use its awesome power. I found the C6 had more power than you can safely use on the street in all but limited circumstances. Even with stability control fully activated, you could still lose the rear end without much trouble if you weren't smooth with the controls. The track is a whole different game. When pushing the Vette you don't notice its lack of "feel" since all your attention is spent on keeping your *** out of the weeds. For your intended use, I would highly recommend the Z06. My C6 made the Carrera S feel a little anemic in roll-on acceleration and I can only imagine how the Z06 must feel.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:13 PM
mark34
Track Day

I think you misunderstood. No reason to roll my eyes, I think the Z06 and all Vette's for that matter are awesome, just not for me as a daily driver. I would wave and say, sweet ride.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Atlas_Croc
Advanced

Originally Posted by mark34
While the Z06 is the nuts in most performance measures, I sat in one at a car show recently. It's still a Corvette. While that is great for some people, it just doesn't do it for me. If I only drove it occasionally to rip and roar, then I could could see getting one. I think I would tire of it in a week if I had to drive it every day. Certainly the interior is better than the 1980's Vettes, it's still feels like a rental car.
Totally correct. I've got Vettes all over my neighborhood.......they seem to be the car husbands buy for their wives to keep them quiet while they're out cheating (next door neighbor) or for the NASCAR fanatic that never turned a wrench in his life and likes to burn a set of tires between stoplights (across the street).

There is no doubting the performance of the Vette in all forms......I'm just over
that type of car and prefer something of a little more quality, rarity, and refinement.....and it doesn't have to be the fastest thing on the block. I also need to move to a different part of town.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Well I've turned quite a few wrenches including my own 911 rebuilds and a 450 hp 944turbo GT3S and I still think the new Z06 is the best bang for the buck.

Why the comment about the wives? Did someone buy your wife a Vette?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I was in one this past weekend in Dallas and was not impressed, the C6 I rode in will inhale it !
Old 12-06-2005, 12:20 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a ride in one then compare.

tino
Old 12-06-2005, 01:29 AM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

No doubt the z06 is the best bang for the buck. Corvette used all the technology and made an insane car for cheap. Porsche just had the opportunity to do a similar act but didnt want to hurt their "poor baby" falling behind fast 911. Drop a 3.8 dry sump, with lsd into a Cayman with lightened body stiff suspension, and look out z06. But nope. Porsche continues to do this and it is going to lose its prestige as being the best sports car maker out there. (o wait it already is/has.)
Old 12-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Atlas_Croc
Advanced

Well I've turned quite a few wrenches including my own 911 rebuilds and a 450 hp 944turbo GT3S and I still think the new Z06 is the best bang for the buck.

Why the comment about the wives? Did someone buy your wife a Vette?
Also turned some wrenches myself on just about everything Porsche has made from water pumpers to air coolers.

Yes the Z06 IS the best bang for the buck if that's what your looking for......I'm not, been down that route......and as you know......there is always someone faster. There are some people who just can't understand when someone doesn't care about being the fastest kid on the block. It could run a 10 second 1/4 mile, cost $30K, and I still wouldn't buy one, it's that simple.

My wife drives an Audi.......she refers to Vettes as "those funny Star Wars Storm Trooper looking cars".......don't know where she got that from, but now that I think about it......the new Z06 with all the tacked on vents do have the same look. She loves the Cayman and is looking forward to driving it. She has great taste!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:05 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Atlas_Croc
She has great taste!
She picked you, didn't she?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

My wife drives an Audi.......she refers to Vettes as "those funny Star Wars Storm Trooper looking cars".......don't know where she got that from, but now that I think about it......the new Z06 with all the tacked on vents do have the same look. She loves the Cayman and is looking forward to driving it. She has great taste!
Come on, good taste? An Audi over a new Z06? Have you considered giving her Lasik for a Christmas present?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:39 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cayman over a Z06 <?>

tino

Quick Reply: A few comments on the Cayman S