Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear Stigg Times- Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 04:58 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
What I don't get is the notion that a car with such a briliant chassis is hampered by a less than steller engine.
I agree with you and think Porsche made a mistake in this regard but I can understand their misguided desire to "protect" their icon car. I would have rather seen them put the Carrera S motor in the Cayman and let the cars both be all they can be. After driving all the new Carreras except the C4S, and the Aston Martin DB9 and a Ferrari 550 Maranello, I actually preferred the total package in the Boxster S but wanted a coupe. If Porsche charged Carrera prices for the Cayman S with a Carrera engine I would have bought it. Only time, and consumer demand, will tell if Porsche's decision to limit the Cayman's power was a wise move or not. While it will cost a little more than if the factory did it, RUF will have an engine swap available for the Cayman S.

Last edited by BiggerTwin; 11-24-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:21 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

What I don't get is the notion that a car with such a briliant chassis is hampered by a less than steller engine.
The more I think about it the less sense it makes. GM puts the Corvette engine in the GTO and while a few Corvette owners complain, how many people buy a GTO instead of a Corvette because it has the same motor for less money? If a 911 owner or potential 911 owner prefers the Cayman S, I don't think a few tenths of a second on a 0-60 test will sway their purchasing decision. Likewise, if some potential owner wants a 911 will they get a Cayman instead because it is a few bucks cheaper or few seconds faster around Nürburgring? I think Porsche is leaving money on the table by artificially restricting the performance and price of the Cayman. I don’t think they are losing any sales since there really is no substitute.

For those looking for status and exclusivity instead of pure driving pleasure the Aston Martin V8 Vantage is a very compelling alternative. While I don’t know other people’s financial condition, the enthusiasts who post on the Porsche boards seem to have enough money that a $10,000 or $20,000 difference in price between the cars won’t be the deciding factor in a purchase decision. If the Aston had a little more steering feel and that elusive X-Factor I might have cut back a bit on my daily driver to buy it. As it is, I preferred driving the Porsches even if the Aston might make better garage art and a better chick magnet to those of us who are single. With Aston Martin challenging in the image department, I think Porsche would be wise to focus on the enthusiast drivers and offer the best they have whether it be rear engine with jump seats or mid engine without.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:50 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

The problem is that by refusing to compete with it's own car (the 911), Porsche makes the Cayman less effective against every other manufacturer's car as well.

I think that's a bad move. I love the Cayman styling and mid-engine concept. I would pay a Carrera price to get the car I want--a Cayman with the 3.8 liter engine.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:20 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by caf
The problem is that by refusing to compete with it's own car (the 911), Porsche makes the Cayman less effective against every other manufacturer's car as well.

I think that's a bad move. I love the Cayman styling and mid-engine concept. I would pay a Carrera price to get the car I want--a Cayman with the 3.8 liter engine.
Or a GT3 motor
I've heard that the modularmotors are about 10k and there isn't a lot of cost difference between a 3.4 and 3.8.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:30 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Still not good enough to beat the new Audi RS4, which did it in 1.25.something
A full second faster then the Cayman

Also the website says 126.2 but on the show it has it as 1.26.7

Last edited by jumper5836; 11-24-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:17 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

RS4 Baby! Was on fence, but this little show put me over.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:07 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

5 second difference in a short track is like Carrera S would be 45-50 car lengths away. Also compared to plain jane vanilla '99 996 3.4 lump why the cayman s is heavier?Regards. Mike
Old 11-24-2005, 02:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Delete my post I musta drank too much yesterday. Regards. Mike
Old 11-24-2005, 02:25 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Cain
The 510 BHP M5 time was recorded in the dry and the Carman S time was only .5 sec slower, I would have expected a 200mph BMW M5 to destroy the Porsche time.

Looks like this is not the case.

Well if you see the episode when they compared the M6,AMV8 and the carrera S, killed both of them by 6 seconds and 84mph ave speed on wet. So I doubt that the M5 would be faster than the cayman especially on the track. btw thanks for the links
Old 11-24-2005, 07:30 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This debate occurs in some form or another whenever Porsche brings out a new model. I recall the '65 911 being panned because it exhibited less dynamic handling (than the 356) & the 2.0 motor was "flat" compared to the 1600cc SC.

Did anyone expect Porsche to introduce the CayS w/ a drivetrain that overpowered the chassis?
I've observed that almost all new cars w/ very high perf. produce nearly equivilant perf metrics (0-60 or -100, top speed, Gs, slalom speed, lap times, braking), or can be tuned to produce any target #s you want (just insert $s). A glance at the posted laptimes confirms - they're spread over 3%. To me, unless you are racing (or racing for bragging rights), it is quibbling (maybe I'm just getting old?), & even then, racing ain't what it used to be because of the business's demand for balanced competition.

Anyway, the distinctions among cars for the cogniscenti has moved beyond metrics. To rephrase biggertwin's cogent points...
"I find handling, feel and "character" more important than going from 0-60 in 4 seconds. I was just judging the cars on how they felt on some twisty back roads. Porsches feel good at all speeds... If you are looking for an extraordinarily well balanced car that is engaging to drive, the Cayman S"

Those of us who have driven many Porsches over many years can all add to his sentiments, and it is those aspects that time reinforces rather than diminishes. The buyers that demand a hotter CayS will be getting them from tuners. As the years unfold the base CayS perf will improve. When the surge of initial buyers has passed, & if there is demand adequate for the factory to make a good business case of it, we will see higher perf levels - a CS version - maybe even a factory track program. Meanwhile, you can count on them to turn out some kinda NA 911 that "outperforms" it...

I think Porsche wants to sell every sports car enthusiast in the world at least one car in their life. However, they make absolutely sure that every new model manifests the non-quantifiable character that makes Porsche enthusiasts want to ALWAYS own one (or 2 or 3...). That keeps 'em in business over the long haul. I like their values (if not the prices!).
cheers!
Old 11-25-2005, 12:27 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=ked]
I think Porsche wants to sell every sports car enthusiast in the world at least one car in their life. However, they make absolutely sure that every new model manifests the non-quantifiable character that makes Porsche enthusiasts want to ALWAYS own one (or 2 or 3...). That keeps 'em in business over the long haul. I like their values (if not the prices!).
cheers![/QUOTE

Porsche decided to capture sales from outside of their traditional markets with the advent of the Boxster and 996. They are NOW trying to regain that important enthusist market they blew off for more sales. The CayS is a step in that direction. They found that the new buyers attracted from other makes are fickle and want good value for their dollar. Right now that is going to be a tough sell for Porsche. The neuvo Porshe owners want cup holders and stereos and buy a tip becaure they can't shift. I don't think you can compare these new owners to the past because most will be out of their cars when the lease expires. Sorry for the off topic.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:28 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Clarkson implied that the Cay wasn't available with a LSD. This can't be true and it sure looked like that stig lap really suffered because of it.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:00 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
Clarkson implied that the Cay wasn't available with a LSD. This can't be true ... .
Unfortunately, it is true.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm afraid this is just another example of the Cayman being dumbed down to the benefit of the 911.
Shane
Old 11-25-2005, 06:50 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 1,053 Posts

The neuvo Porshe owners want cup holders and stereos and buy a tip becaure they can't shift.
You ain't kindin'!!

The other night I picked up my TT from service at my Audi/Porsche dealer and got to see their PCNA Cayman sitting outside fresh off the truck and still wrapped in white. Right behind it, also fresh off the truck, was a 997 with a factory aerokit and ... wait for it... a Triptronic.

The Cayman was looking good. The 997 looked good too. The aerokit works nicely visually except for the huge wing. Too much.

To ramble on: I too would pay a 997 price for a C7S with a bigger motor. And I don't want no stinkin' NAV. I don't want PCM. I will not have TV(-like) screens in my car. At least you can order a Cayman without PCM. Give me switches I operate with my hands only. Not switches that require eyes off the road.

Quick Reply: Top Gear Stigg Times- Cayman S