Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear Stigg Times- Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear Stigg Times- Cayman S

Folks,

The Porsche Cayman S got a time of 1.26.70 sec last night on Top Gear.

Here is the current leader board :-

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/

Only half a sec slower than 510 bhp M5 - The 295 bhp Cayman S is not bad then.

Regards

Michael (ex 993 owner)
Old 11-21-2005, 11:22 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

and 1/2 a second faster than a GT3. Not bad.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

I think the GT3 time was actually completed on a wet track - but it does not say that on the list.

Maybe someone can quote me on that.

Regards
Michael
Old 11-21-2005, 12:10 PM
rknebel
Advanced

Default Cayman Top Gear

The GT3 time was definetly in the rain. It was a very wet track

Rick
Old 11-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael,
You are absolutely right,it was lashing out of the heavens.
Shane
Old 11-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Well what ever regarding the GT3 - i would expect it to be alot faster than a Cayman S.

Still the Cayman was faster than a lot of other more expensive and more power cars.

Thats what I find interesting.

The 510 BHP M5 time was recorded in the dry and the Carman S time was only .5 sec slower, I would have expected a 200mph BMW M5 to destroy the Porsche time.

Looks like this is not the case.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:48 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was the 997 Carrera S that was done on the wet track...I have a copy of the video. So was the GT3 done in the wet also?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:32 PM
ixlr82
Instructor

Man I wish someone had that video. I would love to see that!!
Old 11-21-2005, 09:28 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

top gear used to be seen in the US on Wed evening on the Discovery Ch, but no more. Anybody know why?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:22 AM
erics
7th Gear

It's too bad Clarkson didn't like it. He reffered to it as the 'coxster'.

es

Last edited by erics; 11-22-2005 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:30 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Jeremys main problem with it was that he felt Porsche had held back so that the Cayman would not out do the 911.
Shane
Old 11-22-2005, 06:40 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Guys,

Dont Worry!

You can download all the Top Gear and 5th Gear episode's from this website.

You will also find the review of the new Porsche Cayman and Porsche 997 S.

http://www.mininova.org

For example here is last weeks 5th gear episode which features a porsche 944 S2 Cab:-

http://www.mininova.org/tor/138606

You will find all the current series of Top Gear on this site :- i.e. just click.

http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=top+gear

Happy Viewing.

Regards

Michael
Old 11-23-2005, 09:56 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Lets be honest, every tester says it needs more power and it should have for 65-70k. For kicks I built one on the Porsche web site with brakes, seats, PSM and chrono to a total of 74K for a Jr. porsche! In the stop light grand prix, it will get waxed by about everything. No hand built engine just a modular non race proven lump. A pro driver on Top Gear gets into the 1:26. News flash, AMG CLS 55 did a 1:26. I was hoping for a light weight giant killer in the Cayman S. That new ZO6 is looking better and better.
I'd be interested in who is buying this car and why?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:10 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by JJayB
Lets be honest, every tester says it needs more power...74K for a Jr. porsche! In the stop light grand prix, it will get waxed by about everything...I'd be interested in who is buying this car and why?
First, every test I have read says the Cayman is fast and has sufficient power. The fact that it could easily handle more power but is being held back by Porsche so it doesn't embarrass the 911 doesn't mean it needs more power. Second, if you want to win the stop light Grand Prix, buy a motorcycle. Third, the fact that you can compare a large and heavy Mercedes to a Cayman, and call it a Jr. Porsche, indicates that you will never understand the car but I will tell you why I am buying one anyway. I find handling, feel and "character" more important than going from 0-60 in 4 seconds. I have a C6 Corvette and it isn't nearly as much fun to drive as a Boxster S. I like the Carrera 4 but on balance didn't find it any more fun to drive than a Boxster S. Then again, I don't buy into the whole 911 "aspirational car" marketing hype and I was just judging the cars on how they felt on some twisty back roads. I don't think a Carrera 4 will be $20,000 more fun than a Cayman. The Z06 will be plenty fast but the reviews indicate it has the same dead feeling steering as the C6. My Corvette is great fun when pushed hard but there are limited opportunities to drive like that without losing your license or your life. At more moderate speeds the Corvette isn't all that much fun to drive. Porsches, on the other hand, feel good at all speeds and a car that goes 0-60 in 5 seconds is fast enough for me on public roads. If you are looking for speed, the new Z06 is probably a better choice for you. If you are looking for an extraordinarily well balanced car that is engaging to drive, the Cayman S is playing to rave reviews.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:02 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=BiggerTwin]First, every test I have read says the Cayman is fast and has sufficient power.

Nov. 05 EVO "The one aspect of the Cayman that delievers less than you might expect is the engine..... the engine feels curiously flat." the Cayman doesn't feel thrillingly potent."

Dec 05 Excellance "As it is, the 3.4's power is adaquate"... 'That's not to say the Cayman S is slow"

Well I guess it isn't slow but it sure isn't fast. 0-60 in 5.4 is ok but the car isn't about straight line speed right. So what is it about? I believe it should be handling (steering, turning) braking and acceleration.

BTW. I do understand what the car is about, as I've been in dozens of Boxters
in both the left seat and the right seat as an instructor. What I don't get is the notion that a car with such a briliant chassis is hampered by a less than steller engine. The Boxter was a clean sheet design and clearly improved with the Cayman S. My comparison with a two ton Mercedes was more of a point to emphasize something is lacking in a sports car that can't compete with a four door no matter how nice it feels doing 5/10th.

I'm quite sure that there will be hundreds of supercharged Caymans running around in the next few years.

Quick Reply: Top Gear Stigg Times- Cayman S