Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster vs 350Z vs SLK

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:55 PM
raman
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boxster vs 350Z vs SLK

Hello,

I made arrangements during 3 consecutive days to do some test drives, so that I could do a direct comparison.

On paper, 3 cars matched my requirements.
Nissan 350Z
Mercedes SLK
Porsche Boxster
I was completely unbiased brand wise, but I preferred the looks of the SLK.

I put all the financial data in a spreadsheet (price, maintenance cost, taxes, resale value, etc.). In the Belgian tax climate, over a 7 year period, driving 15.000 km a year, I found to my surprise that the total ownership cost for a 350Z, SLK280 or Boxster 2.7 was about the same, around 65.000 Euro !

First I did try the SLK200, as a manual and as an automatic. On my first start, I thought that I had put the gearbox in 3rd gear, it was that slow to get going. Felt a bit like a diesel taxi, really that bad ! I now understand why most magazine reviews were with the automatic. It performs slightly better than the manual, as it keeps the RPM at maximum torque. All in all, I was very disappointed, finding it really underpowered.

The SLK280 was a real improvement and would be my recommended minimum motor for this car. But even then, the SLK felt like a heavy car, missing punch. Although it is the shortest of the three, it handles like a larger car. I do not particulary like this, being more inclined towards the Mini drive style. I somehow still had the impression that I was driving the C-class break of one of my friends.
Another put-off was the seats, which seem to be designed with the seriously overweight in mind, offering almost no lateral support.
On a positive note, the SLK is the quietest of the three and probably best suited for long highway travels at high speed, but not convincing in city driving or on smaller roads.
I did not try the SLK350. Due to local tax policies, this was out off my budget.

The Nissan 350Z handled in a very similar way to the SLK. But the extra horsepower and torque made quite a difference. Throttle response is immediate and fierce, almost offering too much power for city driving. Possibly this is more like a SLK350 ? It is more a brute force muscle car, to my taste missing some refinement. It is certainly more exiting than the SLK280. It also has more comfortable seats, which are completely adjustable, and it is better equipped.

I went to the Porsche garage more out of curiosity than with the real intention of buying a Porsche. I felt that if you are in the market for a two-seater, you should at least try a Porsche for kicks. After driving the Boxster for a couple of minutes, I became more and more enthousiastic. The handling was extraordinary. It was much more agile than both the SLK and the 350Z. This gave me back the go-cart feeling is missed in these two. Power was always available from the lowest RPM. This was a fantastic combination of driving refinement and power.
Of course it is not perfect. The roof is prone to vandalism (but it opens twice as fast as the SLK one, while driving). The motor sounds great, but is really loud. Options are expensive. The Porsche name tends to attract jealousy (and thieves) more than the others. But this car was so much more fun to drive, there was just no comparison. I ordered it.

These findings are of course personal and totally subjective. They do show that it is worthwile to do some testing and compare the cars yourself, instead of only trusting reviews (which were mostly positive for these cars). You may be in for a surprise…
Old 11-02-2005, 06:26 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up on your test drives. I haven't driven the new SLK myself but I pretty much knew what it would be like and I agree on the 350Z. So....are you getting the Boxster?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:29 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

he said that he ordered it in his post, so I'm assuming yes.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:14 PM
equ
Racer

Base boxster will be a fantastic car for EU/RoW (from our American perspective). We get cheap gas, huge engines and cars for cheap here... You guys get smaller, slower cars (on paper) but get to enjoy them more. I think you will love it.

Congrats!

Expat
Old 11-04-2005, 10:42 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I had a similar reaction, but drove a different set of vehicles (I had no interest in the MB due to their horrible reliability and the Nissan styling is ugly).

Drove a BMW Z4 3.0i and almost bought it. The steering is a little less precise and the run flats make the car dance over hard bumps, but otherwise this is an impressive little car.

Tried an S2000 and, yuck, just no torque. Yes I know it's weirdly not supposed to have any and you should view it as a superbike, etc, etc. BS, it's a track car maybe but not an autocross nor daily driver car. Also seemed like everyone I've seen driving one was 20-something.

I was coming from an M3 convertible and another option was to stay with it. So some comments: power galore, but just feels heavy and lethargic in the turns. The convertible is a different animal from the coupe, and the M3 coupe could give a 911 a run for its money (only at a lot less money). But I wanted a drop top scooter that planted a smile on my face.

Drove a 986 S that the dealer had. OK, I guess. Seemed a little "squishy" in the suspension compared to the Z4 (which in turn seemed like it was hewn out of a solid block of steel). The interior was cheap, cheap. It was an 03, so at least it had a glass rear window. The shifter throw was longer than my Toyota Tacoma (what was Porsche thinking?).

At this point, I told my wife that maybe I'd get the Z4, but I'd feel like I was settling. I wouldn't be happy turning over the keys to the M3 for the Z4.

Took her to drive the 986S for a second opinion, and on a lark, asked the dealer about the eftover 05 987S's and what kind of deal he could do. Nice deal. Drove one. Wow this car is much more fun than the Z4. Very tight, about as tight in a turn as anything I've ever driven! Badness was the ride hight and the "sedan-like" high seating position (maybe I'm overdoing it, but the Z4's seating position, and S2000's, etc, all had your legs outstretched).

Went to drive home in my M3 and I didn't want to. That was it, I had found my next car.

tmc
987S grey partial leather on black paint, grey top, lightly optioned.

Last edited by tmc; 11-06-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:18 AM
tmc
Racer

Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

My goodness TMC,....that is one hell of a shot...it brought a big smile when I first saw it...now I am down, as it's not sitting in my garage damn it...thanks a lot, lol. Got to convince wife.....
Old 11-04-2005, 10:11 PM
rushSC
Advanced

That's a gorgeous 987!!! Everything about it looks right.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:50 PM
tmc
Racer

thanks, guys
yeah it's a stunner
Old 11-07-2005, 10:08 PM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

tmc,
Beautiful rocket! Enjoy (and looking forward to additional comparisons with other cars as you drive the 987 more).

Regards
Old 11-25-2005, 11:28 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by raman

The motor sounds great, but is really loud.
Either you test drove the only loud 987 on the planet, or you have the most sensitive ears on the planet.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:16 PM
raman
AutoX

Well, I am a professional sound recording engineer. And yes, the Boxster is noticable louder than both the SLK and the 350Z. I would say around 4 to 6 dB, which is quite noticable and annoying as well.

Just image a Boxster which makes exactly the same sort of sound, but 20 dB lower, so that you can listen to you music while enjoying the same driving pleasure. That would be real luxury.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:22 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

I like the noise
Old 12-15-2005, 10:45 PM
tmc
Racer

me too
Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by raman
Well, I am a professional sound recording engineer. And yes, the Boxster is noticable louder than both the SLK and the 350Z. I would say around 4 to 6 dB, which is quite noticable and annoying as well.

Just image a Boxster which makes exactly the same sort of sound, but 20 dB lower, so that you can listen to you music while enjoying the same driving pleasure. That would be real luxury.
You want a QUIETER boxster? sheesh

Last edited by pcar964; 12-16-2005 at 01:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Boxster vs 350Z vs SLK