Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It totally changed my way of thinking today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 01:49 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow I started this thread just to say that my opinion on the Boxster has changed in a positive sense since I saw one up close. I never thought it would start a 7+ page thread with mostly flaming and disagreement. Should I be happy that it's the most active thread in 987 forum and that it went on this long? I don't know...but it is an interesting read though
The following users liked this post:
dave_987 (05-11-2024)
Old 09-09-2005, 12:03 PM
gst
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have asked the same question in the 993 forum, ie, if i shuld reply my 993 with the 05 boxster. I test drove it, and placed a deposit right away. the new boxster is 80% differnet from the previous boxster,
i never liked the outgoing boxster in terms of handling, power etc. But gosh, after just driving it around the blocks, i placed a deposit on it right away, you must drive it to believe it, it rides, handles perfect. The exhaust note is unbeatable, i dare to say, it sounds more arousing than the 993s
Old 09-09-2005, 12:18 PM
gst
Instructor

also the new boxsters all have dry sump engine, not sure about the outgoing boxsters though
Old 09-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by gst
also the new boxsters all have dry sump engine, not sure about the outgoing boxsters though
errr... nope

Porsche has been very creative in what they call a wetsump... search the archives... Boxsters and 996/997 do not have a dry sump oil system. That was left only for the GT3, GT2, TT, C-GT

But I agree with you, the new Boxster is a great improvement on a car that was very good to start with (only lacking a bit of power in the base car and now they have fixed that...). A classic from the start. A design that imho will/has aged well.

As to replace a 993 with a Boxster... hummm I would have not done that. In addition to the 993, absolutely
Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 PM
gst
Instructor

thanks for the advice, i am taking delivery of the boxster in a few days. i am not tradingin my 993, and will as you said, keep both,

the power of the boxster manual is not that bad in terms of daily use, though with less torque than th 993 manual,
i guess its fair to say the two cars are different, and boxster is not supposed to replace the aircooled as least for a pcar fanatic
Old 09-09-2005, 03:50 PM
FormulaRX
Pro

the aircooled aound of the 993 alone is worth keeping it. Nothing sounds like an aircooled Porsche
Old 09-09-2005, 10:43 PM
mbodo
Racer

kcrpca -

Come on now, don't confuse the issue with facts. ;-)

I mean if you wanted to get technical, I do believe someone posted a while back (page 2 or something) that these new fangled P-Cars suffered from coolant leaks. Pardon me for not being a P-Car super-enthusiast, but weren't the older P-Cars air cooled, ergo, no coolant, ergo, NO COOLANT LEAKS? Oh brudder.

.. "Well, YOURS LEAKS COOLANT" ... :-P
Old 09-09-2005, 10:54 PM
gst
Instructor

whilst it is a fact tht some older boxsters have coolant leaks, that fact alone would not make boxster inferior cars. aircooled porsches are known to have steering fluid leaks, engine oil leaks, premature valve guards wear, etc etc

i doubt that the currrent porsches with latest technology put in would be inferior to their predecessors. If comfort is not a factor whatsoever, i suppose everyone would be driving a caterham 7 or lotus on the road,
but these latest porsches are capable machines, both for daily use and track and porsche has struck a fine balance betweeen comfort/ride and performance/handling in my view
Old 09-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaRX
well if that's how it is, then I think I will get more driving fun out of a Honda S2000. I'm not looking for a cruiser...I'm looking for a well balanced car that can be a daily driver and kick butt on the track when I feel like it. I'll have to test drive it to see for myself.
I did a DE in my Boxster S at Watkins Glen in August. I couldn't believe how many Boxsters there were. All I can say is that the Boxster is even more fun and more in its element on the track than on the street.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:48 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

ok that's interesting...I'll have to find a Boxster to track because when I was on the street, the car felt pretty mellow. nothing too exciting.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaRX
ok that's interesting...I'll have to find a Boxster to track because when I was on the street, the car felt pretty mellow. nothing too exciting.
Let's face it, if a car is a great handling car, it would have to feel mellow on the street. I mean, what can the street offer in the way of challenging the car unless you're driving like you're racing. I still enjoy driving on the street, especially country back roads with lots of twisties. It's nice knowing your car will handle whatever the road may dish out.

That would have to be true for any great handling car, Porsche or not.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:54 PM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

pcar964: come anywhere in the NE.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schnell987
pcar964: come anywhere in the NE.
Wish I could, unfortunately that's a long drive from south Fla, and I don't have a truck and trailer. You have some nice tracks up there, but Sebring imho is one of the best.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:41 AM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

Have not driven Sebring yet, so my favorite tracks are Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio. If you get up this way, those are the tracks to hit. Limerock is also a fun track, and a great equalizer for those of us with momentum cars.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:12 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schnell987
Have not driven Sebring yet, so my favorite tracks are Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio. If you get up this way, those are the tracks to hit. Limerock is also a fun track, and a great equalizer for those of us with momentum cars.
You really need to try Shenandoah . . . I would say it is even more than an equalizer for momentum cars.

Quick Reply: It totally changed my way of thinking today...