Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Track Day This Weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 08:40 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what was the other magazine that had the Boxster beat the Carrera (and probably chose the Carrera too...) - was it the Road and Track that rated the Boxster the best sports car?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Not to take anything away from our 987, but I kinda feel the same way as the authors. I think Delesh said it best: the "magic" of the 911 wins out. The 987 definitely is easier to drive fast than my C4S. But I think once you learn how, the 911 will go faster . The "once you learn how" also gives one a higher sense of achievement, rewarded for something worked hard for. It's almost as if the 987 is too easy. The feel, the solidity, the plantednes or riding on rails sensation, the "this is a serious performance car" ambiance is also upped a few degrees in the 911 compared to the Boxster.

I like my 987S. I picked it over the Elise I had on order. It's a fun car. It's a track car that's also a roadster. I bought it to introduce my wife to driving fast on a racetrack and for me to learn some more on at the same time. I agree that the Boxster is very underated by Porschephiles. If it comes down to choosing between the C4S or the 987S as to which car to modify into a track dedicated car, I would pick the 987S. But, if it comes down to trading in which car for the next Porsche (Cayman or GT3?), I would keep the C4S. The "magic" wins.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:28 AM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

Interesting....many of the arguments that Palting gives for the 996 over the 987S are the same arguments that many Porschephiles (including myself) give relative to the earlier 911s over the 996.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Wasatch GT3
Track Day

My hang up with the comparison is that its not really a 20k difference if you want an open car. The Carrerra Cabrio is much more than that. If you then factor in the weight of the Carr Cab and slight chasis flex I think the comps between the two would lean even more towards the 987S. That would be a better apple to apple comparison. Of course that is only applicable if one wants an open car. Love to hear others thoughts on this...

I will say that the 987S is more impressive than I ever thought it would be. I have a pretty nicely set up GT3 and love it...but its more a track car at this point. We got the 987S as a daily driver that both my wife and I could enjoy. She loves it....and the harder I push the car the more I am simply blown away by it. I am completly ready to say goodbye to the rear engine car if Porsche will produce a GT3 quality Cayman/Boxster or whatever! I love 911's, but with more horse power and suspension.....that mid engine would be too much to resist. I also had a Turbo..and just hated the 4 wheel drive they use to try and make the car drive well with the rear engine hangin out there with all that power. Feels a bit like betrayl to diss the 911, but that damn Boxster is too good to ignore at least for me.....
Old 07-07-2005, 05:37 AM
Delesh
Instructor

I just find it interesting that people can even start to compare the two. It just goes to show how far the boxster has come (and its potential). They are both (911/boxster) great cars and I would never take anything away from either. Palting has the best of both worlds Everyone I think has that little something that lights their fire everytime they get in a specific car, whether it be a porsche, honda, or trabant. I chose the 987S over my 996 C2. The power was a little better on the 996 but not as much as you would expect and I feel I am much more of a handling junkie than a full on power freak (not that I dislike power, its just a close second). The balance and feel of a great mid-engine chassis will get me every time (drool). I am like Wasatch in that I was just blown away by the new 987S something about it just got me (also over an elise on deposit). It was that little something that I never fully got in my 996 and something I never expected. So I guess the "magic" can go both ways.

Palting, I definitely understand the sense of accomplishment in piloting a seemingly "wrong" design. Its along the same lines of making perfect manual shifts over hitting a paddle on an SMG style system. With the 987 I really never thought it was "too easy" though. It felt more along the lines of being able to interpret my actions more clearly. To go along with the shifting theme; it feels like a nice short and smooth gear lever with buttery and confident inspiring shifts over a lever with a little bit longer travel and gates where you never quite new if you hit the right gear until you let the clutch out. Once you got use to the balky shifter you would have a sense of accomplishment because you knew that when you let your friend try to drive they would never be able to drive as smoothly but it still will never shift as well as the good lever. I simply seem to enjoy being able to focus my attention on carving a perfect line while the car around me seems to completely merge with my senses. The 987 is the finest car in this regard that I could afford right now. And I need all the help I can get to make me a good driver anyway I guess Its just that "magic" thing in a different direction.

Wasatch, yes, the cabrio for a lot of people is a better comparison and definitely leans in the 987S favor. I also think the 997 vs Cayman S is a better comparison for hardtops and will favor the Cayman as well. You really cant beat the fundamental advantage of the mid-engine layout with all other things equal and most time simply close to equal. Also join the club waiting for the lightweight cayman. I (and others here) am really hoping porsche pulls through for us on this one. Its awesome that you have a GT3 also. I would like to hear some more of your comparisons on the differences of the two as I would love to be able to afford one. Hopefully, like you said, a Cayman CS will bring the GT3 experience to people like myself who love the 987 feel but would like more of the raw experience of a GT3 (plus a little less $$$).
Old 07-07-2005, 09:00 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread. With all of the prejudices out there it's good to hear comparisons from dual-owner junkies. Would like to hear comments on how the new active steering compares with the old steering. There's lots of bitching over BMW's active steering but to my delight it has gone virtually unnoticed with 987 and 997. Anyone find it good, bad or indifferent? And what are your observations with it on road vs track?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Delesh
Instructor

kcrpca, awsome, cant wait to read your experiences. And yes, you cannot forget that the GT is mid-engined and from what I hear simply spectacular and spectacularly expensive. One day I must drive one! It is one of my favorite hypercars. Maybe I can get one and just live in it also. Then it would be my house and my car. What a bargain! (at least as far as housing prices go here in the SF bay area)

designman,
The active steering is fine. While I am not exactly sure how much the driving dynamics on the 987 are improved by it vs. what has been done with the chassis and suspension changes, the overall handling and feel of the 987 is at least as precise and communicative as the previous generation cars. Too be sure it does not detract. Very natural and not really noticable until you realize that you are not having to shuffle your hands as much in tight bends. Some have complained of a tiny bit of deadend overall feeling and especially on-center, but personally I have no complaints. It still has that "you can feel how many legs the insect has when you run it over with the front wheels" porsche steering. Like kcrpca, I also think its an improvement over the 996/986.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally Posted by Delesh
mooty, yes I felt the 987 could go much faster through the sweeper but I was a little scared to carry much speed through the left hand kink right before the sweeper as there is a nasty curb there which I was told would definitely bend a rim. So I got a little wimpy there and only noticed I was getting up to high 90s.

Palting, exactly. Thats what I was trying to explain. The 987 just allows you to get on the throttle so early. Its great. And yes, the slippery slope of mods is calling. Need to decide exactly what I want to do first. What are you planning?

kcrpca, I have seen spring sets offered for pasm cars 997 & 987. I have also heard of the H&R springs coming soon like you said. Not sure about what is actually possible. I am going to run my car more to see exactly how I want it altered and to just get better as a driver first.
Sorry to bring up a really old thread, but as I searched to find something on what amount of negative camber can be acheived with stock 987S (mine's at .5 negative up front, but its just not enough - the techs said that is all we could get, and I'm not sure), I noticed this post.

Having just returned from Buttonwillow (last Thursday) I was set aback by this thread and the speeds being thrown around - high 90's, 100-110 on Riverside? On street tires? Are you kidding me? This must be counterclockwise without bus stop, and even that is stretching it! I was pounding butt on Riverside (config. 13, CW) on R compounds and couldn't get any faster than 97 all day because the car literally lifted around the bend and was ready to slide right off the track if I put any more speed into it - sliding sideways with two wheels in mid-air from the speed! I ran the same track some months ago with PS2's and the squawked and squealed at every high speed corner, so I have no clue how you guys are getting speeds like this if you are running CW. I chewed up PS2's doing 1:17's and corded relatively new Sport Cups running 1:10's. High 90's or 100-110 on Riverside going clockwise would have surely ended my car, if not my life...I'm at a loss here...please explain

Quick Reply: First Track Day This Weekend!