Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Priced BETWEEN 911 and 911S????

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The interesting thing is that the production cost has little to do with the pricing strategy at Porsche. The price point is in the buyers mind.
I also agree! For many, a Porsche is a status/prestige purchase, a big Louis Vitton handbag on wheels. Gotta hand it to Wiedieking.

Porsche hasn't always been so savvy when it comes to pricing strategy. The 964 RS America, for example, was a decontented 911. Same engine, but some lightweight treatment (door pulls, optional radio & a/c delete, etc.) It was the cheapest 911 available. Porsche charged $10,000 LESS for an RS America than a fully equipped 911 C2 coupe. I can't see them doing the same today.

Think a Cayman Club Sport will cost less than a Cayman S? It's more likely they'll increase the price. The 996 GT2 was arguably a decontented Turbo--and yet Porsche charged $60k MORE for reducing that content.

As one moves up the model line, Porsche's profit per unit increases dramatically. I read that Porsche's profit margin on a new Turbo is around 50%.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:41 PM
orcfromthesouth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right. Pricing is a value issue and not so much a cost plus equation. But you can charge so much for your brand. Even though you may frown on the mark up PAG enjoys, there is a balance between unit margin and total sales x margin. And Wiederking also know this. Or else why bring out a Boxster or a V6 Cayenne?
Just ask Toyota. Or the Nissan Z350 group for that matter. At least volume will give you more windfall benefits down the line/lifetime o fthe cars in terms of spares, service etc..

PAG is one of the most successful motor companies around. Together with HD. Their growth and margins are the envy of all.

Having said that, I believe PAG needs an entry level coupe again. The 924 was a commercial success, despite its truck VW sourced engine. And I believe that is what the Cayman should be. A junior 911. And a great track car in S form.

I guess we will know shortly. But I believe pricing above a base 997 would be a strategic mistake, even in Cayman S form. If they are consistent with the 911 positioning and its importance to PAG.

Then again, I also thought the Cayenne was a silly idea.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

According to Forbes the margin on a 911 Turbo is 45%, I figure this means the margin on a GT2 must be around 100%.....the more sports oriented the car the more the customer gets screwed.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonboy
...and decent ride quaility over rough surfaces...
There is only ONE Porsche that meets that requirement: The Cayenne.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:51 PM
orcfromthesouth
Instructor

Cupcar,

Well. Someone has to pay for the racing and the research. I guess that the GT3 is OK, but the GT2 went overboard. You have to give it to them that they have done a good job managing to build up those margins. I hope it keeps them from selling to Ford or Toyota.

There is another way of looking at it...a sort of reverse demand pricing. I once talked to the local Honda dealer when he decided to charge $60M for the S2000. Even with our silly luxury tax, the price should have been about $40M. He said 'If I price at $40M, I won't sell one more car, as the customers that buy a S2000 are few and far between. At $60M I still attract them. Uhmmm....talk about screwing the customer. He didn't sell many. They still insist on $60M. But Nissan is offering the Z350 for $45M.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:41 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

the new PCNA Cayman site says that the base is $58,900. I would expect a decent one in the mid 60s. Still a value compared to the 911. As soon as the tuners like RUF are done with it, it'll dust a 911.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:08 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Anyone have any idea what this car will weigh.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

May 30 Autoweek claims 2948 pounds, "11 more than a Boxster". However, a side bar in the article states the curb weight of the Boxster S is 2965 pounds indicating a weight for the Cayman of 17 pounds less than a Boxster S.

Other Autoweek specifications are:

3.4 liter Variocam Plus engine with 295 Hp at 6250 rpm. 255 ft-lb of torque at 4200 rpm.
0-62 in 5.4 seconds, 171 mph top speed.
With Walter Rohrl at wheel it turns an 8 min 11 second time at Nurburgring North loop, 7 seconds faster than a Boxster S and 4 seconds faster than a 911 Carrera.

Same track and wheelbase as Boxster. Slightly longer and higher than a Boxster but the same width.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:42 AM
RMA
Advanced

my car is now for sale in the member area.

I want one
Old 06-07-2005, 10:10 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

7.0L V-8 LS7 11:1
3130 lbs
500hp / @ 6200
475ftlbs / @ 4800

front: 14 x 1.3 / 355 x 32
rear: 13.4 x 1 / 340 x 26

front: 18 inch x 9.5 inch
rear: 19 inch x 12 inch

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Extended Mobility
front: P275/35ZR18
rear: P325/30ZR19

The new Z06 achieves 500 horsepower in an approximately 3130-pound (1419.7 kg) package and is expected to deliver 0-60 performance of less than 4 seconds, eclipse the quarter-mile in less than 12 seconds and deliver a top speed of more than 190 mph on a race track.

All for the price of a Cayman S..... Who is Porsche trying to sell this two, this is where Porsche looses me. What makes the Cayman S worth so much when cars like the Z06 exist?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Rick Longano
Advanced

Porsche - There is no substitute....

That should say it all
Old 06-08-2005, 01:32 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rick Longano
Porsche - There is no substitute....

That should say it all
but there sure are a helluva lot of alternatives!
Old 06-08-2005, 07:20 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

LOL ^^^^ what he said.

I'm not trying to start anything, just pointing out the overpricing of Porsche vs its performance when compared to other offerings.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

There are lots of substitutes

And I'm so fed up with Porsche that the vette might be the best alternative. Either that or a used NSX maybe.

Porsche has mad it clear (to me) that their cars are not track cars, and they will use every possible excuse not to fix things under warranty.

The bottom line is:

1. If the Cayman has a wet sump, then its useless -- Porsche snobbery aside. It might sound cool to buy one, but if its a street car, then it doesn't make a lot of sense.

2. If the Cayman has the same RMS design (which you know it will) then I'd never buy one.

I'm now on my 2nd 996 motor, first replaced after 10,000 miles because of RMS issues. Now with 20,000 miles, the new motor's RMS is leaking as well. And of course they say its somehow my fault, and its not a manufacturing defect. Complete nonsense!!

So don't assume that everything they make is good or even resonably good. They aren't the same company that they were 10 years ago. And the Vette is certainly a lot of bang for the buck. Anyone catch the SCCA Touring 1 runoffs last year?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:27 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Darren
There are lots of substitutes

And I'm so fed up with Porsche that the vette might be the best alternative. Either that or a used NSX maybe.

Porsche has mad it clear (to me) that their cars are not track cars, and they will use every possible excuse not to fix things under warranty.

The bottom line is:

1. If the Cayman has a wet sump, then its useless -- Porsche snobbery aside. It might sound cool to buy one, but if its a street car, then it doesn't make a lot of sense.

2. If the Cayman has the same RMS design (which you know it will) then I'd never buy one.

I'm now on my 2nd 996 motor, first replaced after 10,000 miles because of RMS issues. Now with 20,000 miles, the new motor's RMS is leaking as well. And of course they say its somehow my fault, and its not a manufacturing defect. Complete nonsense!!

So don't assume that everything they make is good or even resonably good. They aren't the same company that they were 10 years ago. And the Vette is certainly a lot of bang for the buck. Anyone catch the SCCA Touring 1 runoffs last year?

How true in a lot of areas. No relatively current Porsche is really made for the track except for the GT3......most if not all the rest are simply street cars.

Those who expect to drive out of the dealership and onto the track with one of them will probably be disappointed.......people just need to accept it and either get over it or not. The Cayman will not be any different and I don't think Porsche was even making an attempt for it to be a track car as many thought.
Maybe with a CS version IF it ever exists.

There's been much debate concerning the Z06 vs. Cayman.......and frankly its starting to get old. The Cayman is what it is, and the Z06 the same. The Z06 is a sledgehammer, the Cayman most likely a scalpel. Now you just need to pick which one you like if these are the only two cars you have in mind.

The Cayman will never be a Z06 and the Z06 will never be a Cayman. All will be decided by sales and profitability of each. If your pissed off at Porsche for not giving the Cayman a lot more HP and can't get over it.......buy the Z06. If max performance doesn't mean that much to you, and place a greater emphasis on style, quality, balance and prestige.......the Cayman might be it, but please don't try and make one into the other. The biggest thing they both have in common is the price.......that's about it. Neither manufacture is going to go back to the drawing board to make one more like the other.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one as long as you know what each one has to offer.

Quick Reply: Priced BETWEEN 911 and 911S????