Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Cayman S, PSM Failure, Brake service indicator, engine stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 10:57 PM
P_Cayman
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2007 Cayman S, PSM Failure, Brake service indicator, engine stalling

I 2 weeks ago when I was driving I had an engine stall on a hill just leaving my home (the car was still warm since I just had to stop and grab a few things), I put in park and drive again but nothing happened so I turned off the car and it worked just fine. Fast forward 1 week later and my brake service light comes on even though my mechanic said brakes are fine one month ago when it was in for oil change and pre-trip service. I have an appointment to get the brakes checked on Thursday again but this issue is now taking priority.

Now, this weekend the car spits off a brake service indicator as it has for the past week, plus now a PSM failure. The indicator comes on sometimes quickly after a start or sometimes 30 seconds to a minute after driving. Any idea what this could be?

Sounds extremely similar to this issue here: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/200...ailure.175306/

I have only had one stall not the several this guy is mentioning here.
Old 08-13-2024, 12:55 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

Do you have a code reader? If so, what’s it reporting?
Old 08-13-2024, 08:29 AM
tonythetarga
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

An ABS sensor can give you the PSM light. Plus it is brake related.
The stalling isn’t connected, AFAIK, unless it’s something specific to the tip/pdk transmission.
Old 08-13-2024, 10:28 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 325 Posts

A little bit of an out of the box suggestion but the power portion of your brakes is fed by vacuum from the pump integrated with the oil scavage pump on the forward end of Bank 2 (i.e drivers side). If there was a vacuum leak in this system it might activate the light. Saying that, I have no idea if the system diagnostics monitor that system but it would make sense, being a critical safety system. This "might" be related to the stalling. If your mechanic is up for checking this, this is a small nipple on the fitting at the vacuum pump. That nipple connects to vacuum lines that feed the intake tract flaps but it could be commandeered (with a tee) as a port to feed a manual vacuum gauge where you could monitor system vacuum as you drive. It is pretty easy to access from under the car when on a lift.

There was a post a while ago where the OP found that this fitting was cracked or even broken off.

Last edited by harveyf; 08-13-2024 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Cayman S, PSM Failure, Brake service indicator, engine stalling