Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 S Black Edition Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 08:05 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by McSwine
Not sure where "locally" is but it's a shame you don't have an indy shop to do what I consider a fairly basic job (R&R manifolds/replace almost certain broken bolts). Sounds like you need to go the catback route, given the circumstances.

With regard to Carnewal, my experience was great. I would and probably will do business with them in the future.
Thank you for the reply. I'm located in Austin, TX. There are some who do it, but have warned against it, and say these Porsche manifolds aren't that restrictive.

Carnewal is still an option, it just seems like with all those fees and messing around with so much it may not turn out to be worth my expectations?

Last edited by blackharp; 03-24-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:12 AM
Dana R
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 27 Posts

The Cayman R exhaust is an upgrade to the PSE on your car (larger pipes), and Carnewall sells new ones with his mod already done. The shipping isn't unreasonable, and the tax was about $50. Then you could sells your PSE for a fairly good chunk of change.
The following users liked this post:
blackharp (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 11:04 AM
JayL
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blackharp
Thank you for the reply. I'm located in Austin, TX.
If you'd like to hear what a full catless setup with a free flowing valved exhaust sounds like I'm local.

For a street car I highly recommend going the Carnewal route.
blackharp (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 03:05 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Originally Posted by JayL
If you'd like to hear what a full catless setup with a free flowing valved exhaust sounds like I'm local.

For a street car I highly recommend going the Carnewal route.
I may have to take you up on that. Do you mean carnewal headers or exhaust? I'm heavily leaning back towards the carnewal sport cats based on the comments.

Does anyone know now if the carnewall cats will be as loud/ unrestrictive as similar products mentioned (soul, fabspeed, etc.)? What I like about Soul is the warranty.

Last edited by blackharp; 03-25-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:46 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Van Larson
Stock manifolds and cats are quite restrictive. 200 cell cats w/02 bunges have not once ever never caused a CEL in 3 years…
How would the carnewal sport cats compare with soul or others?
Old 03-24-2023, 07:33 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

How would the carnewal sport cats compare with soul or others?
From a parallel thread, in which the concerns that I expressed were similar, https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...l#post18704476
Old 03-25-2023, 04:20 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Originally Posted by McSwine
Not sure where "locally" is but it's a shame you don't have an indy shop to do what I consider a fairly basic job (R&R manifolds/replace almost certain broken bolts). Sounds like you need to go the catback route, given the circumstances.

With regard to Carnewal, my experience was great. I would and probably will do business with them in the future.
With further research, I found a shop that will do the install of the high flow cats. Now, thinking about Carnewal again. Do you think the carnewall manifolds with PSE will be loud enough?
Old 03-25-2023, 04:23 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zach L
Best option for you will be a valved aftermarket exhaust. You can hook up the factory vacuum lines for your PSE to the aftermarket valves and control it as if it's stock but get the additional volume you're looking for.

That said, I've got catless and the smell is really overblown IMO. The exhaust definitely is more apparent, but it's a subtle increase and only experienced if/when the wind is blowing just the right way while to car is stationary. Running high-flow "Sport" catted headers will provide the increase in sound, volume and tone you're looking for, just not cheap at all. Additionally, 200-cell cats are often not going to avoid the CEL on the 987.2 models, as the emissions system is much more sensitive than the 987.1 models.
I did reach out to Gert and he assured me there will be no CEL. Thoughts?
Old 03-25-2023, 04:32 PM
Ed Dino
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the miltek catback resonated and love it . Plus you can opt for the black tips..

Last edited by Ed Dino; 03-25-2023 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Adding pic
blackharp (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 04:41 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 317 Posts

I did reach out to Gert and he assured me there will be no CEL. Thoughts?
If a company is going to guarantee no CEL, I'd go for it. I install everything myself though. If you're paying someone to install the headers, I'm guessing you'd still be on the hook paying them to install the aftermarket then again to put the factory headers back on. Fabspeed also mentioned they will guarantee their 200-cell cats against throwing a CEL, but I'm not sure if that's with factory tune or not.

BTW I'm in Austin area as well if you'd like to hear catless headers in conjunction with the factory PSE.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:24 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zach L
If a company is going to guarantee no CEL, I'd go for it. I install everything myself though. If you're paying someone to install the headers, I'm guessing you'd still be on the hook paying them to install the aftermarket then again to put the factory headers back on. Fabspeed also mentioned they will guarantee their 200-cell cats against throwing a CEL, but I'm not sure if that's with factory tune or not.

BTW I'm in Austin area as well if you'd like to hear catless headers in conjunction with the factory PSE.
I usually do all my work as well, but don't have a lift so was considering having a shop deal with it. I was told these look like stock headers visually and do not throw CELs, so I shouldn't need to switch them again theoretically.

What area of town are you in?
Old 03-25-2023, 05:25 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Dino

I have the miltek catback resonated and love it . Plus you can opt for the black tips..
How do they compare to PSE?
Old 03-25-2023, 05:40 PM
Ed Dino
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't heard the PSE but some say its more subdued. Like u I was looking for more sound without drone or harshness..
Check out this miltek vid..

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...-boxster-987-1

love that sound at takeoff...
Old 03-25-2023, 05:44 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Dino
Haven't heard the PSE but some say its more subdued. Like u I was looking for more sound without drone or harshness..
Check out this miltek vid..

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...-boxster-987-1

love that sound at takeoff...
Sounds great!
Old 03-27-2023, 04:47 PM
blackharp
Advanced

Heavily leaning towards 200 cell cats. Anyone have the PSE, added these, thought you needed more sound, and added a different exhaust?

Quick Reply: 987.2 S Black Edition Exhaust