Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to update suspension, no Idea what to order

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 06:15 PM
EMG943
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to update suspension, no Idea what to order

Hi Everyone,

I am a total idiot when it comes to this stuff. Last summer I had my 2006 Cayman S inspected at my local indy shop. I was told that the noise coming from my rear was the struts and mounts needing to be replaced. I am also in need of lowering the car an inch or so due to the 19" spyder wheels that are on it. I have think that coilovers might be the best way to accomplish both goals. I have been looking at the Bilstein PSS9s on ecstuning, however I have no idea what other parts I would need to order as they only come with the coilovers themselves. Any help would be greatly appreciated, the last thing i want is to get everything disassembled and I find out I am missing something
Old 02-18-2023, 07:34 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 512 Likes on 326 Posts

Suspension is slippery slope as you can literally replace everything and it will cost close to the price of your vehicle.

Find out from your mechanic exactly which parts are worn and replace them.
The following 2 users liked this post by ekam:
harveyf (02-18-2023), TMc993 (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 11:15 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Questions for yourself are whether you intend to track the car, what is your experience level, and how far do you plan to go if you track it.
If you do not intend to track the car, may regular Bilstein (assuming available for your car) with lowering springs probably get you to where you need to be.
for a reference, that set up cost about $1800 installed on my BMW.
Let us know your plans and we’ll be happy to help you spend $$$
The following users liked this post:
CaymanR99 (02-24-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 02:13 AM
vrhooptie
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got delivered some Bilstein B8s and Cayman R springs. Should be 20mm lower. Already have new F+R strut mounts and will order new spring pads & front strut bearings. Will likely install late spring.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:26 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by vrhooptie
Just got delivered some Bilstein B8s and Cayman R springs. Should be 20mm lower. Already have new F+R strut mounts and will order new spring pads & front strut bearings. Will likely install late spring.
mice been considering going this route myself. Where did you get the R springs?
Old 02-19-2023, 09:58 AM
vrhooptie
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I got them from Delaware Porsche Parts. Cheapest I found and no sales tax.
Old 02-19-2023, 11:31 AM
Sir Ducer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Given its age, and your choice of suspensions, do a full refresh including arms.

Don’t neglect the top mounts as your ride height and a good amount of comfort comes from that
Old 02-20-2023, 11:04 AM
EMG943
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Questions for yourself are whether you intend to track the car, what is your experience level, and how far do you plan to go if you track it.
If you do not intend to track the car, may regular Bilstein (assuming available for your car) with lowering springs probably get you to where you need to be.
for a reference, that set up cost about $1800 installed on my BMW.
Let us know your plans and we’ll be happy to help you spend $$$
Planning on doing 3-4 track days this summer, but most of the driving will be on the road. I will most likely be doing the swap myself as I am fairly mechanically savy (I have a daily driven 944 that I do all the maintenece on), however I am fairly new to modding, as my 944 is pretty much stock. I know I need to replace the top mounts as well, but I have no idea which ones I need, or what other additional parts I would need to buy. The shop that did my inspection did not mention that any of the control arms, bushings, etc needed replaced, and from what I can see I believe them to be correct
Old 02-21-2023, 12:36 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts

We can get you a set of coilovers and the parts needed but it gets a little tricky if you're not sure what is needed or wanted. Lot of people change a lot of components like control arms, bushings, end links, etc.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 02-22-2023, 12:07 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EMG943
Planning on doing 3-4 track days this summer, but most of the driving will be on the road. I will most likely be doing the swap myself as I am fairly mechanically savy (I have a daily driven 944 that I do all the maintenece on), however I am fairly new to modding, as my 944 is pretty much stock. I know I need to replace the top mounts as well, but I have no idea which ones I need, or what other additional parts I would need to buy. The shop that did my inspection did not mention that any of the control arms, bushings, etc needed replaced, and from what I can see I believe them to be correct
As someone who has a tendency to go overboard, I think Bilstein B8 and lowering springs would achieve what you want. You should order new top mounts and other rubber pieces instead of reusing your old ones.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:33 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm trying to find out the the stock or factory-option swaybar diameters are for my car. I don't think they are both stock now,

2011 Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK Sport Chrono
Old 02-23-2023, 12:37 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FlipE
I'm trying to find out the the stock or factory-option swaybar diameters are for my car. I don't think they are both stock now,

2011 Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK Sport Chrono
This is from the must read Porsche "Service Information 2009 Technik Introduction" for Boxster/Cayman models

Old 02-23-2023, 01:20 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
This is from the must read Porsche "Service Information 2009 Technik Introduction" for Boxster/Cayman models

Thanks for your efforts.

No real help there, though. I have 2011 Cayman. I don't have PASM. These appear to be only for the front bar.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:52 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FlipE
Thanks for your efforts.

No real help there, though. I have 2011 Cayman. I don't have PASM. These appear to be only for the front bar.
That's my bad. I was multi-tasking x4, and I didn't see what I would have otherwise!

Here's the data on the rear anti roll bars.

Last edited by The Duke; 02-23-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

EMG- I have had Ohlins on my car for over 5 years without any fluid leakage. I'm using their normal spring rate of 400 lb/in F and 458 lb/in r. The reason I bring up the spring rate is that when lowering your car, you will actually need higher spring rate and the accomping valving to match to keep your car from bottoming out. That's one of the primary function of the springs. Mine is lowered about 34 mm over stock or 14 over PASM. I still have the full amount of suspension travel as Ohlins have a method of changing the ride height without reducing suspension travel and a LN/BRS skid plate. Go to Ohlins setup and see how to install these coilovers. You will have a single golden control **** for both compression and rebound.

I have used my car for many different events including HPDE, Porsche Touring, autocross, bike hauler, and just plain canyon driving. These coilovers are an excellent investment if you keep your car over 3-4 years. You will lose money in a short term sell off though. Now, all the money i put into the suspension over the years is paid off in performance return. I do not expect to get any additional enumeration with all the mod I have installed, rather I use them all.

The lower control arms need to be upgraded when you install any springs or shocks. The rubber bushing are probably shot. If you do change the LCA's, the adjustable camber LCA products will allow you to get more camber than OEM -1.5f and -2.1r. I have found that the Ohlins can control a lot of camber to help keep the tire footprint fully engaged in cornering. No tire roll with over -2.5 f and -2.4 r. Many owners are reluctant to get this type of camber due to the inside tire shoulder wear. I've got a good local speed shop who setup my alignment, which allows for well over 14k miles on tire wear. I do flip my tires though.

The suspension is the key to this car. So with Ohlin's and adjustable LCA's you will have the foundation to grow with your car. Then you can think about long tube headers, wide wheels, wheel spacers, short shifter kits and cables,

Last edited by Apex1; 02-26-2023 at 03:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Need to update suspension, no Idea what to order