Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softronic Tune for Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 05:54 PM
Andy Ordonez
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Softronic Tune for Cayman R

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering the Softronic tune for my mostly stock Cayman R (suspension, braking and exhaust upgrades only, so far). I've seen the posts regarding power gains (however minimal they may be), but does anyone know the impact on gas mileage? Any additional comments or guidance on power gains or alternative tunes would also be welcome!

Thanks much,
Andy
Old 01-06-2023, 06:55 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Why not ask Softronic? I don't know the answer for your car and their tune. However, power gains with stand-alone tunes (non-turbocharged) usually are found by decreasing fuel in the mix, pushing it closer to predetonation. Factory tunes typically run slightly rich as an insurance policy against pinging, sometime due to small differences, for example, in injector fuel flow rates.
The following users liked this post:
harveyf (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 07:44 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 235 Posts

Ok. First off, don’t recall anyone seriously asking about MPG impact on modifying a Porsche! Your car is rare. And beautifully balanced, power/handling-wise. If it were mine I’d have left it completely standard. However, what you’ve done so far is almost enough. It’s n/a so you’ll never get a substantial power increase by ECU remap, regardless of what the tuners tell you. If you do go the tune route, add a sports exhaust to your headers first. If nothing else you’ll have a free-flowing system that will pull harder/faster through the rev range under load. It can then be mapped accordingly. Even then it won’t produce a lot more hp, and will likely lose a bit of low end torque, but it will be a tad quicker when driven hard.
clib (01-11-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 07:45 PM
CNClester
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I loose mileage with performance tunes and mods. Primarily due to right foot indulgence. For me, mileage is not a concern on a sports car. It's all about smiles per gallon, and these cars deliver in spades.
MrsJames (01-14-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 11:18 PM
Gatornapper
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

I've had the Softronics tune for about 3 years now and specifically remember Scott telling me if I drove the same as before, my mileage should actually improve. I never tried to document that, but can say I've seen no change in my gas mileage with the tune. My Cayman is an '11 S, PDK, Sport Chrono, more.......

I cannot rave enough about the tune - it improved EVERYTHING. For the better. As most of my rural country daily driving is in regular mode, the engine & tranny are both much more responsive, quicker & better shift points, I think its improvements are actually most noticeable in regular driving mode. I don't need to go to Sport Mode or Manual to get what I want - it's like now the car reads my mind. More power in Sport & Sport Plus? Of cource - noticeable as well.

No idea what it will do on an R, but I would never go back. Headers and exhaust are stock and I'm happy with them. Car is far more than I can use in every performance aspect.

GN
Last_935 (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 01:06 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 178 Posts

(copy of a post I made in another thread). I've had Softronic tunes on number of cars including my wife's current Spyder and my GT4. We've both been very please with the performance and driavability improvements. In fact, when my wife was looking for a Spyder, the first one she drove had a Softronic tune. She didn't have an opportunity to drive the one we ended up purchasing before buying it. The first time she did drive it, she stated that she thought there was an issue as it was way down on power compared to the first one. I told her that it was most likely due to the lack of a tune. We immediately purchased and installed a Softronic tune on the car. I took it out for a 30 mile drive to get the tune fully imbedded and then told her to go drive it. When she came back, she said that the power was restored to the level of the first Spyder she had driven and that she was surprised how much of difference the tune had made. Happy wife, happy life.
Van Larson (01-14-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 01:07 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Being in Temecula you may want to consider the new emissions testing of looking at software changes. Fwiw COBB has the CA EO.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:44 PM
jazztrip
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 40 Posts

@Andy Ordonez My track car is a 987.2 S/PDK/Sport Chrono. The previous owners did a great job with the performance upgrades which, for the engine, include GT3TB, IPD Plenum, Cargraphic catless headers/exhaust and Softronic tune. They dyno'ed the car and got 293whp / 254tq on a Mustang 4wd dyno (needed for proper dyno with pdk in sport+ mode). NASA adds 10% for an equivalent Dynojet number, so 322 whp/279tq.

I don't know what the gas mileage was prior to those mods, but I get 26-27mpg on the highway
driving to the track. FWIW, I get 6mpg driving in anger on the track. Also FWIW, I am very pleased with the support from Scott at Softronic on the couple occasions I've needed his help.

Cheers!

Last edited by jazztrip; 01-14-2023 at 08:52 PM.
Last_935 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 09:03 PM
Gatornapper
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Boy would I love to drive that car on the track! My own 987.2 S/PDK/Sport Chrono & Softronic tune is so incredible, I cannot imagine even more......

GN

Originally Posted by jazztrip
@Andy Ordonez My track car is a 987.2 S/PDK/Sport Chrono. The previous owners did a great job with the performance upgrades which, for the engine, include GT3TB, IPD Plenum, Cargraphic catless headers/exhaust and Softronic tune. They dyno'ed the car and got 293whp / 254tq on a Mustang 4wd dyno (needed for proper dyno with pdk in sport+ mode). NASA adds 10% for an equivalent Dynojet number, so 322 whp/279tq.

I don't know what the gas mileage was prior to those mods, but I get 26-27mpg on the highway
driving to the track. FWIW, I get 6mpg driving in anger on the track. Also FWIW, I am very pleased with the support from Scott at Softronic on the couple occasions I've needed his help.

Cheers!
jazztrip (01-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Softronic Tune for Cayman R