Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Bolts Back Out 987.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 04:37 PM
Super 987
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question CV Bolts Back Out 987.1

Hey all,

So after much turmoil and delay, I'd like to update everyone. So it turns out it wasn't the clutch at all which would have been a simple and less catastrophic issue, what actually happened was that the bolts in the axel were backing out causing the rest to sheer by the transfer case causing it to break the suspension carrier and of course all related components to the CV.

I only had the car for two weeks and here we are 2 months later waiting on a part to make it overseas. My local Porsche is handling the job under its classic department luckily. We have received all of the parts but one. This leaves me with a bit of a dilemma, they have offered to attempt to drill out the sheered bolts and put the car back together, or continue to wait. My concern is, that I'm not too familiar with drilling out bolts and issues with threads and the potential for the same issue to happen again. Does anyone have experience with this type of procedure?

Thank you

Old 06-05-2022, 09:58 AM
scootr
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 127 Posts

Can they drill and tap the old holes to get the car back on the road and continue to wait for the new part to be installed whenever it arrives?
I did a PPI on a 2008 that I was ready to buy but the Porsche dealer reported the same bolts backed out and some missing. Glad I let the forum talk me out of proceeding with the purchase.

Last edited by scootr; 06-05-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:19 AM
Super 987
Track Day

Well, that's my question. I know they could for the same price as the new part or I could wait. I'm getting to my breaking point on the wait.
I wanted to know if that is viable and what are the chances that it wouldn't just happen again costing me another astronomical sum? Anyone with experience? If you don't mind my asking why did they talk you out of not purchasing for something as simple to fix as new bolts and such?
Old 06-05-2022, 11:34 AM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Drilling out can mean a couple of things...

In this case it sounds like they just need to drill a little hole in the bolt to get an extractor in. If that is the case, my only worry would be the flange being warped from being beaten around with loose/missing bolts.

If the bolts are siezed and they are talking about drilling oversize and putting in an insert, i would pass and wait for the new part.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:46 AM
Super 987
Track Day

@jscott82 Hey,
So it sounds like both are not really great options and the best thing to do would be to wait. I do believe they are looking to do the first option you mentioned. (drill/extract). I wouldn't know how warped or how problematic it would be honestly. I have to speak to them again.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:27 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 127 Posts

Personally I would do the repair and wait for the new part to install when it arrives.
The man is at the breaking point of waiting. Who knows when parts will arrive in these troubled supply line times?
Summer is upon us. Fix it as best they can and drive. I'm sure the dealer is not going to do something terrible - ask them to explain the process. Ask if there will be any irreversible damage done so when the new part comes it can be installed.
Also ask if they or you could possibly locate a used part.
Then when the new parts arrive install them. That's my take on it.

And to answer the question about my PPI with loose/missing CV bolts. They said a car with this condition was not well maintained. And dealer selling a car with this condition was not properly preparing the car for sale.

Last edited by scootr; 06-05-2022 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:36 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Super 987
@jscott82 Hey,
So it sounds like both are not really great options and the best thing to do would be to wait. I do believe they are looking to do the first option you mentioned. (drill/extract). I wouldn't know how warped or how problematic it would be honestly. I have to speak to them again.
I doubt it was warped given your description, just something to pay attention to.

Actually I'm surprised the dealer didnt just do it and get the car back to you.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:04 PM
Super 987
Track Day

Well they wanted my permission. They said "it wasn't their usual way of doing things" given that and I prefer everything in my cars to be as close to stock and in verifiable perfect order as possible.

I think I'll reach out and have them perform it given no one has any real concerns.

​​​​​​
Old 06-05-2022, 04:34 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Replace the output flange.
The following users liked this post:
Super 987 (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 04:56 PM
Super 987
Track Day

@KevinGross So I shouldn't just have them do it in the meantime and wait for the part to come in?

Just replace it. That makes sense because I don't need a chain effect situation. I literally just bought the car

Last edited by Super 987; 06-05-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:35 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree with others - longer term, replace it... but for now the repair seems like a good temporary fix to get you rolling. Just don't go racing with the temp-fix

Quick Reply: CV Bolts Back Out 987.1