Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Argggh! Broken plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 09:54 PM
Gota996
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Argggh! Broken plug

Changing plugs on my 2010 Cayman, they are original. P.O. did all the required maintenance except for plug change at 40K miles or 4 years. Don’t know why he didn’t. Anyway, got two out on the drivers side, they were a bi**h to get out and of course I broke the plug on the one closest to the front of the car. Plug snapped off and threaded portion is still in the head. Engine was dead cold when I started and I wonder if I should warm the engine up some so the aluminum expands a bit. I sprayed PB Blaster in the hole, letting it soak for a day or two until I figure out what to do next. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Last thing I want to do is drop the engine!

Old 03-31-2022, 11:25 PM
zuch
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

How low did it break? Is there any of the surface left that you would normally get the socket on? Maybe post a picture.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:10 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

oh my! i'm going to have nightmares tonight....i know i am.

i've changed my sparkplugs (first time) recently, and there's practically no room to work on that one up front! in fact.

... i'm wondering how you managed to get enough leverage on that thing to break it off. i could barely get the crush washer to crush (and maybe didn't) with the small amount of force i was able to apply when tightening the new one.

might be one for a pro. and i mean like a very old and cantankerous one. one that's done it a few times. and, you know, one that blames you for breaking it off in the first place, and then purses his lips and shakes his head back and forth while he berates you for it, before reluctantly telling you he'll "take a look at it".

i really do wish you luck.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 04-01-2022 at 01:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Duke (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 10:09 AM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Would be interesting to see the remainders of the plug, but meanwhile - tape the plug hole with a good tape almost till the top and put some penetrating oil in the plug hole. The tape will keep it there as "in the bathtub". It will give it time to penetrate to the treads. Then you'll drill the very center of the plug and insert the extractor and remove the remainders.
The following 3 users liked this post by HETPE3B:
Gota996 (04-02-2022), RennHarry (04-03-2022), scootr (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 10:41 AM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have nothing to grab anymore on it, I agree with HETPE3B about drilling the center and using an extractor. If you can get a right angle drill in there. Tough job with engine still in car.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:38 AM
Gota996
Advanced

Thanks guys, will try soaking per hetpe3b’s reply. Plug broke at the hex, entire center of the plug came out cleanly. Threaded section is stuck in the head. Hole already through the center of the threaded section, no need to drill. Purchasing Knipex bolt extractors, pretty substantial German steel, not chinesium crap. If I’m not successful, flatbed car and off to Indy shop. Keep you posted.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:36 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Don't know if you have room to do this, but I've had luck twice getting a cold chisel to "bite" the top of the remainder of threaded portion and backing it out by tapping it with a ball peen hammer. It comes out pretty easily once it breaks loose. If you try this, be sure to block the center of the threaded section so that nothing goes into the cylinder.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:34 PM
Gota996
Advanced

Thanks for the reply Terry. No room to get a chisel in the hole and tap it around to remove the threaded portion of the plug. An easy out is about the only tool that will fit in the hole with an extension on it. God damn Porsche engineers for making plug install/removal so difficult. In all the years working on cars and a few Porsches, I’ve never had issues removing plugs. Damn Cayman!
Old 04-01-2022, 02:15 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Gota996
God damn Porsche engineers for making plug install/removal so difficult. Damn Cayman
Save a little of that cussin' for the PO who never changed the plugs! Hope it goes better for you.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:29 PM
Gota996
Advanced

Yeah Terry, he was cussed out as well…..I don’t understand as the P.O. was meticulous about taking care of the car and following the maintenance schedule. I have all the service records on the car, work was done by a Porsche dealer in Vt. One of the orders recommended plug change within the maintenance schedule but the P.O. opted out at that time. Can’t understand his reasoning for not doing it. Oh well, I ordered the Knipex screw extractors today, hopefully they will do the job. Will keep you all posted.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:43 PM
ga 951
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If they are the reverse fluted sockets, they should work great. They have saved my bacon more than once.
+1 on the penetrating oil bathtub. Never heard of that one, but def worth remembering.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:59 PM
Gota996
Advanced

Default Update

Been soaking plug for a few days in hopes penetrant will wick between threads and aluminum head. Stuffed a rag soaked with PB blaster in the plug hole, will see what happens. Knipex extractors will be here this week. Dam won’t work as there is a hole through the center of the threaded portion. See no way to heat up aluminum around the plug with an open flame. Electrical connectors too close to use a torch. Any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Bob
Old 04-04-2022, 10:46 PM
RennHarry
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 143 Posts

If he HAD to drill and extract, what about any debris from the drilling? Would you rig up surgical tubing or something to the old shop vac? I feel like you'd want every little bit out of the hole and (God forbid) the combustion chamber. Lucky on a flat six stuff doesn't "fall" into the hole.
Just curious what the big brains think... me, I'd have the car over to the indy shop.
Cheers
Old 04-06-2022, 12:31 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Gota996
Changing plugs on my 2010 Cayman, they are original. P.O. did all the required maintenance except for plug change at 40K miles or 4 years. Don’t know why he didn’t. Anyway, got two out on the drivers side, they were a bi**h to get out and of course I broke the plug on the one closest to the front of the car. Plug snapped off and threaded portion is still in the head. Engine was dead cold when I started and I wonder if I should warm the engine up some so the aluminum expands a bit. I sprayed PB Blaster in the hole, letting it soak for a day or two until I figure out what to do next. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Last thing I want to do is drop the engine!
Just curious... are you absolutely sure these are the original factory plugs? How many owners does the car have? It's super rare that the factory original plugs break on the 9A1. Wonder if one of the previous owners mistakenly purchased what they thought were genuine Bosch, but were actually knock offs from China. The Chinese Bosch knock off plugs will break! They are horrible copies and should be avoided. Bosch even has a new process to verify that their purchased plugs are genuine. It's been talked about a lot on the other subforums.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:27 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RennHarry
If he HAD to drill and extract, what about any debris from the drilling? Would you rig up surgical tubing or something to the old shop vac? I feel like you'd want every little bit out of the hole and (God forbid) the combustion chamber. Lucky on a flat six stuff doesn't "fall" into the hole.
Just curious what the big brains think... me, I'd have the car over to the indy shop.
Cheers
Looks like the OP stated above, that all internals came out completely, therefore there is nothing to be drilled. Only extractor is needed. But it won't hurt to blow the cylinders with the compressed air, making sure the tip of the air gun is inside the cylinder and not the outside.
The following users liked this post:
RennHarry (04-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Argggh! Broken plug