Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Argggh! Broken plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 07:29 PM
Gota996
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

B3freak: original Bosch FGR5NQE04 Super Bosch R5W plugs. P.O. was advised at 4 year mark to have plugs changed, he declined. Again at 37.5k miles, declined. I have his original work orders for all the work done at the Porsche dealer. Trust me, they were not changed. I got my Knipex extractors yesterday, no joy. The plug hole is in a tough position to remove the plug. Need universal joint and extensions, so you end up side loading the plug trying to remove it, and it snapped the plug at the hex. I really need to get a straight shot at the plug so I can tap the extractor solidly in the threads. I tried to “bathtub” the plug per HETPE3B’s advise ,we’ll see. Had to plug the hole in the busted plug with a wooden dowel to keep the penetrant in the plug access area. Wife said to give it a rest for awhile. Agreed, don’t need the grief. So yesterday, I changed the rear drop links, another p.i.a. project. Pinch bolt solidly stuck in the aluminum hub. I am a glutton for punishment….map gas is your friend, heated the hub near the pinch bolt, impact wrench on the 17mm hex heads, finally spun the pinch bolt out after a few heat-impact cycles. Another 3-4 hour job. Will attack this project again tomorrow. Keep you all posted, and once again appreciate everyone’s advice.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:04 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Gota996
B3freak: original Bosch FGR5NQE04 Super Bosch R5W plugs. P.O. was advised at 4 year mark to have plugs changed, he declined. Again at 37.5k miles, declined. I have his original work orders for all the work done at the Porsche dealer. Trust me, they were not changed. I got my Knipex extractors yesterday, no joy. The plug hole is in a tough position to remove the plug. Need universal joint and extensions, so you end up side loading the plug trying to remove it, and it snapped the plug at the hex. I really need to get a straight shot at the plug so I can tap the extractor solidly in the threads. I tried to “bathtub” the plug per HETPE3B’s advise ,we’ll see. Had to plug the hole in the busted plug with a wooden dowel to keep the penetrant in the plug access area. Wife said to give it a rest for awhile. Agreed, don’t need the grief. So yesterday, I changed the rear drop links, another p.i.a. project. Pinch bolt solidly stuck in the aluminum hub. I am a glutton for punishment….map gas is your friend, heated the hub near the pinch bolt, impact wrench on the 17mm hex heads, finally spun the pinch bolt out after a few heat-impact cycles. Another 3-4 hour job. Will attack this project again tomorrow. Keep you all posted, and once again appreciate everyone’s advice.
That's cool. I don't doubt the records from the dealership. Just curious if the PO attempted to replace them himself because he declined the dealership's quote. If the car was still under warranty, then he would have said "Yes" to the warranty service, but since he declined, apparently it was a super high charge. Like most that own these cars, I've personally declined stuff that was ridiculously overpriced by Porsche dealerships. For example, Porsche of Atlanta noticed my tag light was out. They wanted $170 to virtually change a light bulb! ha! Crazy!

Anyway, good luck trying to extract the broken plugs. If the procedure doesn't work, I'm afraid the heads will have to come off to remove the threaded section.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:07 PM
Gota996
Advanced

P.O. was not a car guy, paid dealer or Indy to do any work. Plugs are not warranty item, suggested maintenance per Porsche maintenance booklet. He didn’t have an issue paying for maintenance or general repairs, so cost to change plugs from an Indy or dealer wouldn’t have been an issue for him.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Hoping you can get the plug out, Gota996.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:13 PM
ga 951
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Gota996
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-f408...=2&imbypass=on

This is the type extractor I was referring too. I bought a set at my FLAPS many years ago. They are effective. Sometimes you may need to find a way to tap them on tight.
Take a look and see it they will fit in the plug well. Once you get them seated, they dig in harder with more torque
The following users liked this post:
Chris MI 987 (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 05:27 PM
Chris MI 987
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ga 951
Gota996
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-f408...=2&imbypass=on

This is the type extractor I was referring too. I bought a set at my FLAPS many years ago. They are effective. Sometimes you may need to find a way to tap them on tight.
Take a look and see it they will fit in the plug well. Once you get them seated, they dig in harder with more torque
I've used these too and they work well. Never tried on a plug, but don't see why they wouldn't work.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:53 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks like the TS needs the extractors for “inside”, not “outside” grab.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:56 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

i don't think those extractors shown in the link are deep well sockets and may not fit on a spark plug. unless, of course, the end of the plug has, conveniently, been snapped off or something....
Old 04-10-2022, 01:34 PM
Gota996
Advanced

These won’t work, need internal not external extractors. Will attempt removal next week after I’ve had a few days to think this over.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:26 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Gota996
P.O. was not a car guy, paid dealer or Indy to do any work. Plugs are not warranty item, suggested maintenance per Porsche maintenance booklet. He didn’t have an issue paying for maintenance or general repairs, so cost to change plugs from an Indy or dealer wouldn’t have been an issue for him.
Aaaahhh... I forgot about Porsche "limited" warranties. All of my Porsches have been used outside of any remaining warranty. Makes me feel better about my Volvos. We've owned many under warranty and they cover everything including wear and tear parts... yep, brakes, rotors, batteries... and yes, spark plugs. Just bought a 2015 XC60 T6 R Polestar. Crazy to think it's got 80 more HP than my Cayman. But... still nothing like driving the Cayman.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 04-11-2022 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:49 PM
Gota996
Advanced

Oh Lord, foiled again. Stuck a wooden dowel in the threaded portion of the stuck plug to make a ‘dam’ to soak the threads with penetrant. Now can’t get the wooden dowel out! Must have expanded in the plug. Now I’ve got to try to pick at the dowel to remove it. This is not going well at all….
Old 04-11-2022, 11:52 PM
Gota996
Advanced

Good news, got the wooden dowel out of the threaded section of the plug tonight. Used a pick to break up wood and vacuumed it out of the insert. Attached pic is what I need to remove from the head. This was one of the plugs I took out, cut it up to see what size extractor I would need. Heat and cold tomorrow to see if the remains of the plug will thread out of the head. Wish me luck!

The following 3 users liked this post by Gota996:
Anthonyr105 (04-15-2022), Chris MI 987 (04-12-2022), Schwinn (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:22 AM
zuch
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, if you can get a dowel stuck in there, I think your odds of getting the extractor in there are pretty high, but I have been known to be a "half full" kind of guy. Best of luck.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:22 AM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

This is a good extractor set I have used in the past. Looks like it may be useful in this situation.
Giftprod 5 Pcs Damaged Bolt Screw Extractor, TIAMAT Extractor Remove Set Hardness Broken Screw Bolts Extractors Easy Stripped (Style 1) - - Amazon.com Giftprod 5 Pcs Damaged Bolt Screw Extractor, TIAMAT Extractor Remove Set Hardness Broken Screw Bolts Extractors Easy Stripped (Style 1) - - Amazon.com
Old 04-12-2022, 11:27 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

Great work, and excellent patience! Too often we go off and get impatient and cause more problems... glad to see you're doing it "right" and carefully! Awesome work, and hoping for your final solution soon!

Quick Reply: Argggh! Broken plug