Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 02:29 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
Default turbo kits

I know there is plenty of criticism about putting turbo on these cars but humor me.. I'm just looking into it.

does anyone other then TPC do turbo kit in USA

just asking.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:37 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

My son just bought a Cayman Turbo. It has been built very well. Uses a Garret GT3582R with a 50mm waste gate. Also has meth injection. At the moment we are getting the turbo rebuilt, adding a BOV and a few other things. On a good day, around 400Hp atw on 5.5psi. Car has run the turbo for around 20,000kms. Just had a compression and leak down, and all good. If everyone believed what was said on the internet, we'd all throw our m96 / M97's away.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:53 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DeWolf
My son just bought a Cayman Turbo. It has been built very well. Uses a Garret GT3582R with a 50mm waste gate. Also has meth injection. At the moment we are getting the turbo rebuilt, adding a BOV and a few other things. On a good day, around 400Hp atw on 5.5psi. Car has run the turbo for around 20,000kms. Just had a compression and leak down, and all good. If everyone believed what was said on the internet, we'd all throw our m96 / M97's away.
i have a couple friends with them as well and none of them have the horror stories I read about online. I understand some of them do grenade but I think those are the exceptions and they get most of the attention.

i’m thinking about purchasing the TPC turbo set up but was curious if there was any other options that I’m maybe not finding I would love to do twins instead of a single.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:34 PM
diverdog
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
i have a couple friends with them as well and none of them have the horror stories I read about online. I understand some of them do grenade but I think those are the exceptions and they get most of the attention.

i’m thinking about purchasing the TPC turbo set up but was curious if there was any other options that I’m maybe not finding I would love to do twins instead of a single.
There's no advantage to doing twins at such a low boost pressure. I had a TPC setup on my 07 S and it worked very well on the street, not so well on the track. Then a built 4.0L with a larger single Garrett that made around 550 at the wheels. Next step was twin turbos but track only ~700 HP. Car now has a 3.8 996 era Mezger making 836 HP at the wheels.

I do recall seeing a TT street car at the California Festival of speed a couple of years ago that some company was providing. Can't recall the name though.
The following users liked this post:
ttt123 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 07:52 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by diverdog
There's no advantage to doing twins at such a low boost pressure. I had a TPC setup on my 07 S and it worked very well on the street, not so well on the track. Then a built 4.0L with a larger single Garrett that made around 550 at the wheels. Next step was twin turbos but track only ~700 HP. Car now has a 3.8 996 era Mezger making 836 HP at the wheels.

I do recall seeing a TT street car at the California Festival of speed a couple of years ago that some company was providing. Can't recall the name though.
that's some cool set ups you have. Where do you find places who can do some of the work like that. I'd love to have a 4.0 built for it but who does it? what was the price tag on that set up.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:07 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 321 Posts

OK, I'll try and not be discouraging but:
Generally speaking, all engines designed from scratch to run with a turbo use a lower compression ratio, achieved by changing the piston design or combustion chamber design. Both are expensive to do in the aftermarket. It is also best to go with a standalone engine management system, another costly item.
Turbos are generally heat limited. When you hear that an engine gernaded, what usually happened was the tops of the pistons melted. Heat can be managed in several ways but one key way to is to only employ the full boost of the turbo in short bursts. This is perfect for drag racing, not so much for track or street use.
Surprisingly, the force on the connecting rods of most turbo applicatons is not the critical design parameter. The centrifugal force of the piston passing through top dead center remains the limiting design condition.
You can have a lot of fun with this. Just keep in mind that replacement engines are hard to come by, as many have been snatched up from those recovering from IMS issues and/or bore scoring. Or aftermarket turbo mods!

Last edited by harveyf; 11-03-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:43 AM
diverdog
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
that's some cool set ups you have. Where do you find places who can do some of the work like that. I'd love to have a 4.0 built for it but who does it? what was the price tag on that set up.

Thanks for sharing.
There are several companies that can build you a 3.8 or 4.0L 987 era engine. Vision Motorsports in Laguna Hills CA built mine. If I had to do it over again I would have done a NA 4.0L for a street car. When I decided to go to the Mezger Vision provided the new core engine and took the 4.0L in trade. It is a 9.5:1 turbo build with low mileage. Give them a call .

BTW my car with a single turbo was featured in Excellence magazine Dec 2013
ttt123 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 11:48 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harveyf
OK, I'll try and not be discouraging but:
Generally speaking, all engines designed from scratch to run with a turbo use a lower compression ratio, achieved by changing the piston design or combustion chamber design. Both are expensive to do in the aftermarket. It is also best to go with a standalone engine management system, another costly item.
Turbos are generally heat limited. When you hear that an engine gernaded, what usually happened was the tops of the pistons melted. Heat can be managed in several ways but one key way to is to only employ the full boost of the turbo in short bursts. This is perfect for drag racing, not so much for track or street use.
Surprisingly, the force on the connecting rods of most turbo applicatons is not the critical design parameter. The centrifugal force of the piston passing through top dead center remains the limiting design condition.
You can have a lot of fun with this. Just keep in mind that replacement engines are hard to come by, as many have been snatched up from those recovering from IMS issues and/or bore scoring. Or aftermarket turbo mods!
fair points and i wouldn't argue them. i have built a ton of motors myself. in this instance, we do have quite a few of these setups that have been running for a while with success .. and some that have went boom. i'm just looking into it as of right now.

thanks for the awesome post
Old 11-03-2021, 12:03 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

There are several companies that can build you a 3.8 or 4.0L 987 era engine. Vision Motorsports in Laguna Hills CA built mine. If I had to do it over again I would have done a NA 4.0L for a street car. When I decided to go to the Mezger Vision provided the new core engine and took the 4.0L in trade. It is a 9.5:1 turbo build with low mileage. Give them a call .

So i called Vision, they are going to call me back when someone other then the secretary gets in... she ... kinda cranky, not exactly the person to sell there business lol
Old 11-03-2021, 02:55 PM
PushingTin007
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just looked up that article in Excellence magazine, wow what an impressive build! I was wondering if there are any videos of your car floating around YouTube? I would definitely like to watch them
Old 11-03-2021, 07:40 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

If you're looking for other options to increase engine displacement, you could try calling BGB (located in Florida and does the 987) or Deman (Located in New York and does many 981 cars not sure about 987). I have no affiliation but was doing some research to see how many companies do this.
ttt123 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 08:15 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Awesome info, thanks.

I did hear back from vision. Nice guy, informative. About $25 for an added 40hp
Old 11-04-2021, 04:41 AM
Smudo
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts

25k for 40hp?
Old 11-04-2021, 07:09 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Smudo
25k for 40hp?
yup 😬
Old 11-04-2021, 01:02 PM
Smudo
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts

Not worth it. For 25k or less you can install 3.8l NA with similar power and sell the existing engine, or bore out and build the current engine or maybe even build 4.0l based on 3.8 and sell the current one.

Quick Reply: turbo kits