Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Porsche Cayman Door Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 04:59 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
... have to admire the guy that came up with the realistic pile of dog poop that has a space for your house key built into it.
that's a feature of my "deluxe" model. ...he'll be hearing from my patent attorney...
Old 09-20-2021, 08:35 PM
Hokie987.1
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
Don't tell anyone but I currently have my spare metal key taped to the back side of my license plate. I figure having to bend the edge of the license plate into a V is less of a deal than calling a locksmith.
Looks like I'll be making a covert trip to New Hill NC!
Old 09-21-2021, 10:57 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 321 Posts

If I were going to steal a Cayman, I would make sure it was one that had the IMS bearing fixed. That rules mine out! Getting back to the OP, my keyed door lock does work, so that is a plus. All my cars are "theft ready" with the doors unlocked and the keys on the console. Of course you have to find New Hill (unincorporated but we do have a post office and a convenience store) and avoid our viscious French Bulldog. If you wear tall boots your ankles will be well protected.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:52 PM
Hokie987.1
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Back in high school we used to leave our cars with windows rolled down and keys in the ignition overnight where I grew up!

To keep this thread on track, was there an option for the passenger side door lock? Or was it not even offered?
Old 09-21-2021, 06:20 PM
SubVet
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TMc993
I have a 981 Cayman. Cabin, frunk, and rear compartment access are all fully electronic, even from the switches inside the car. If the car battery fails so completely that the fob won't unlock the cabin door, you're in for an experience. To get to the battery, you must jack up the left front wheel (Keep in mind that the car's jack is locked in the frunk so you'll need another jack to do this) , remove the wheel, loosen the wheel well liner, reach under the liner and pull a small cable that activates the frunk latch.

As for fob batteries, my "solution" is to change all of our fob batteries once a year. I used to put the date on a calendar but now I've got it programmed into the calendar on my phone as a annual event.

]Might want to make sure the wheel lock is not in the Frunk...

Last edited by SubVet; 09-21-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:56 PM
mrod63
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Key problem solved; I must have called what felt about every single locksmith locally to me, to be told we don't work on Porsche, or our machine is being serviced. But one single guy suggested i reach out to the shop listed below. They told me, come on down we will be able to get it resolved one way or the other. I arrived at their shop and was told to give them my ignition key and the door tumbler and they would make a copy of the ignition key and use it to RE-KEY the cylinder for the door. Well to my surprise next day got a call and now I have everything working with the same key cut. My FOB key will start the car and open the door, and the copy they made I will tuck in a special spot on the car. In case of emergency if my battery dies and I have to get in without having to go under the wheel well and be tugging at lines to pop the frunk. Oh, BTW cost 1 bill in total for everything. The dealer wanted 575.00 for a new key and new tumbler and the gray metal holder as it is sold as one piece. It would have to be ordered from Germany ETA unknow from day of order maybe two months wait.
(And yes, the ignition key and the door tumbler were not original one must have been replaced at some point in the life of the car.)
I hope this will save someone cash in NEW JERSEY.

Shop that was able to do the work in New Jersey listed below

Essex Security Locksmiths

562 Main St, City of Orange, NJ 07050

Last edited by mrod63; 08-25-2022 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (08-25-2022)

Quick Reply: 2008 Porsche Cayman Door Lock Issues