Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft top faliure, any ideas,

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 12:43 AM
Olivershand27
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top faliure, any ideas,

Hello everyone, recently I had my 2005 boxster in for a transmission swap as the old one failed. It was completed today, and right as I go to test drive it, I attempt to put the top up and it does nothing. The top had been in service mode (basically just half way up so you can get to the engine) and it is now stuck like that. The battery was disconnected for days at a time before, not sure if that has to do with it. I’ve checked the fuses and they’ve all fine. I then checked the switch above the rear view mirror and it seems to be fine. When I pull the parking brake up the “brake” light comes on the dash so it’s not that. Honestly not sure what it is. I manually put the top up and latched it, but the windows now wont go up, just 2/3 the way. Any ideas anyone?
Old 08-13-2021, 02:50 PM
wail junkie
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

There are pushrods connecting the motor to both the top and the cover. The connection has a plastic ball joint that is designed to break before something more serious does. It also fails over time. have you checked if all 4 pushrods are still in place?
Old 08-13-2021, 04:44 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by wail junkie
There are pushrods connecting the motor to both the top and the cover. The connection has a plastic ball joint that is designed to break before something more serious does. It also fails over time. have you checked if all 4 pushrods are still in place?
This is exactly what I experienced shortly after acquiring my 2005 Boxster. Passenger side plastic ball actually broke. Ironically the motor was still strong enough that the driver side gearbox and pushrods could raise and lower the top, but when lowered, the passenger side would not fold down as compactly so the cover would sit higher and not line up nicely with the trunk lid.
It looks like it was just plastic fatigue rather than any kind of obstruction or resistance because I only had to replace the plastic ball end and make a minor adjustment to length until everything lined up nicely. I also had to repair the tension on the stretchy material that lines the fabric top up with the weather channel along the curvature of the rear window. All is well now with a 15 year old softtop. Simply amazing quality.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:03 PM
Olivershand27
6th Gear

My pushrods and hardware all work. The motor turns if i hardwire it to 12v. The issue is that the switch does nothing to move the top, the motor does not move at all. I looked at the relays and they look good, but i’m not sure which one is for the top. Also, I cannot put the windows all the way up. They stop 2/3 the way down and not even pushing the micro-sensor above the rear view mirror will work. Any ideas?
Old 08-13-2021, 07:08 PM
Olivershand27
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Snakebit
This is exactly what I experienced shortly after acquiring my 2005 Boxster. Passenger side plastic ball actually broke. Ironically the motor was still strong enough that the driver side gearbox and pushrods could raise and lower the top, but when lowered, the passenger side would not fold down as compactly so the cover would sit higher and not line up nicely with the trunk lid.
It looks like it was just plastic fatigue rather than any kind of obstruction or resistance because I only had to replace the plastic ball end and make a minor adjustment to length until everything lined up nicely. I also had to repair the tension on the stretchy material that lines the fabric top up with the weather channel along the curvature of the rear window. All is well now with a 15 year old softtop. Simply amazing quality.

Something is stopping the motor from turning. It gets no power. Nothing wrong with my pushrods or anything. The fuses are still good. The relays might be good, I honestly can’t tell. Any ideas?
Old 08-13-2021, 07:27 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

I'd put the battery on a battery charger/maintainer at least over night to make sure you have a fully charged battery. Porsche's are notorious for strange electrical gremlins with a low battery.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:12 PM
Olivershand27
6th Gear

My pushrods and hardware all work. The motor turns if i hardwire it to 12v. The issue is that the switch does nothing to move the top, the motor does not move at all. I looked at the relays and they look good, but i’m not sure which one is for the top. Also, I cannot put the windows all the way up. They stop 2/3 the way down and not even pushing the micro-sensor above the rear view mirror will work. Any ideas?
Old 08-13-2021, 08:14 PM
Olivershand27
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
I'd put the battery on a battery charger/maintainer at least over night to make sure you have a fully charged battery. Porsche's are notorious for strange electrical gremlins with a low battery.
I’ve tried that and drove it around quite a but. No issues with the battery.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:14 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't give up easy, but I have read enough of these power top threads that if I find myself not being able to drive the car because the tops not either all the way up or all the way down, I'm converting it to manual top. At least until I get back in the mood for going another round with it. Lol

I'm probably influenced by the dead simple and trouble free manual top of my ND Mazdarati, and although I admit the Boxster in manual mode will never be as effortless, it's still more appealing than being frustrated with a car that otherwise is FANTASTIC!

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Soft top faliure, any ideas,