Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post - looking for advice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 10:56 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 579 Posts

We do get calls on 2.7 engines, but only for IMS failures. Never with cylinder problems. The 03-04 2.7 engines had some camshaft and lifter issues, but that's isolated.

What we attribute it to is the engines that received cast pistons seem not to score. The clearances were obviously optimized in those engines and the iron coating applied to the pistons by KS is much more durable than the coating used by Mahle on the forged pistons. This also applies to 2.5 and 3.2 engines, however 2.5s did have some issues with slipped sleeves and we do see 3.2 engines come in with cracks. I have only ever seen one 3.2 engine with scored bores and it was from Russia.

I would believe we would still get calls like we do for Cayenne and Panamera for scoring, but rarely do those actually get rebuilt. Seems as though we only ever do those for the Canadians.
The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
Kattman (06-14-2021), ZuffenZeus (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 11:05 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 137 Posts

@Kattman You remind me very much of myself - I research the hell out of things like this and sometimes go a little too deep.

As others have said, certainly consider the non-S... in fact, drive both to see what you feel. Honestly, I drove both and while the S does feel a little faster, I found it didn't feel $10k faster, so I went for the non-S. Granted, I also got a 987.2 as well, so that helps a bit.

Bore-scoring is more of an issue on the S motor. That said, if you get a PPI and there is no scoring, as long as you continue to keep from idling cold, using the wrong oil, etc, I doubt you'd "create" the problem... as these seem to be the real causes for this problem. I doubt you'd let the car fall into disrepair in that sense, either. For the non-S, you don't need a bore-check, but a good PPI for the car is a good idea... particularly from a place that is familiar with these cars, so they can identify any other issues.

In the end, I see nothing wrong with your plan... as others have said, these aren't delicate little flowers... but like any car, they have quirks. In this case, fixing these costs more as well, but beyond that as long as you watch out for these issues, I see nothing that will be a major issue, overall. I applaud you for digging deep, but as I also know, we can dig a little too deep and scare ourselves!
The following users liked this post:
Kattman (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 12:46 PM
Kattman
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks Shwinn (and everyone else). I completely agree with you. And creating this Post has absolutely done its job, in reversing a lot of that built up perception.

I'll hope for an '09 (manual, of course). But I'm now back to feeling excited about the pre .2's.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:01 PM
cavediver32043
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kattman
Thanks Shwinn (and everyone else). I completely agree with you. And creating this Post has absolutely done its job, in reversing a lot of that built up perception.

I'll hope for an '09 (manual, of course). But I'm now back to feeling excited about the pre .2's.

I did my research and continue to research the 987.1. I got a 2007CS MT that now has 40K mi. I drive it min of 100 mi every trip. No warmup idle; bout 3 min to 175 deg op temp (keep under 3k rpm) then let it fly!
Use top shelf oil and change every 6 mo or 5k mi or less. I prefer Driven DT40 5w-40 oil. It is specifically designed for the flat six and its quirks (low Rod to Stroke Ratio; Locasil cyl liners). I also know what is happening inside my engine through UOA (used oil analysis) on every oil change. All my samples are below the norm metal wear average ppm. Water pump and AOS went out at 23K and changed both and main belt. Tranni fluid done at 25K...Car has never been tracked/DE. Clutch original and good to go. Florida based..I DIY all upkeep maint myself.

I am one Happy 987.1 Owner!!
The following 2 users liked this post by cavediver32043:
Kattman (06-14-2021), The Duke (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 10:48 PM
Racer Boy
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Where in western Canada are you located?
Old 06-14-2021, 11:23 PM
Kattman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racer Boy
Where in western Canada are you located?
Sylvan Lake, Alberta. It's about half way between Edmonton and Calgary. Just outside of Red Deer.
Racer Boy (06-16-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Kattman
Instructor

Somewhat excited today, to be going and looking at an '07 Base Cayman. Definitely not sure if this is the one, but I'll finally get started on setting a baseline for what I'm looking for.

Thanks to some of the responses here, I've expanded my mind a bit more. I had ruled out a Base Cayman before. But after reading some Posts on this Forum (and in this Thread), it seems silly not to include these cars in my search. And my wife said something - that actually took me by surprise.. She said it's not like I have to select a car....and be stuck with it - forever! Find a nice Base Cayman. Own it for a while. Enjoy it.. Learn what you like....and what you do not like. And either modify it....or upgrade to something, down the road. It's really that simple!

Anyway. Wish me luck in taking my first Cayman out today.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kattman:
BWJones (06-18-2021), deilenberger (06-18-2021), KrisA (06-18-2021), Snakebit (06-18-2021), tomhartzell (06-18-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 02:11 AM
Kattman
Instructor

The following message, is for anyone considering a Porsche Cayman. But has not driven a Porsche Cayman.....Base, or S....or whatever..

If you wrote off the idea of getting a Base, because it has that non-sexy title "Base"... and it doesn't have that purdy little "S" on the back... then you really need to re-think things.
After driving a Base '07 today, I'm totally hooked!! That was awesome!!

I have no idea if I'll pursue the actual car I drove today. As it was at a small 'corner Lot' Dealership. And the 'sales tactics' were quite unappealing. But I am grateful that they let me take it for a drive. It was very enjoyable. And it definitely evoked an emotional response in me!
The Base level had plenty of power (more than I'll ever need). And it handled very well! I fit the car absolutely perfectly.. And it was extremely comfortable.
Today was a great success. I've been researching this for a long time - and to finally get a chance to try one out.....is the icing on the cake!
I'll see if a deal can be reached. But if not, I'll simply bide my time until the right deal comes along. Base or "S" version....doesn't matter to me!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kattman:
Schwinn (06-19-2021), sectachrome (06-20-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 10:23 AM
KrisA
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Glad you loved the car!

I absolutely love my 987.2 6MT 2.9 Cayman, just a stunning car. So involving, and while a fast modern car like my Golf R is great to drive, it just will never give me the "feels" that the Cayman does. Also the 2.9, and I assume the 2.7 as well, has more than enough power for the street if you're willing to rev it out. The few local roads we have here in Regina, SK that I can have fun in my Cayman on I find myself at speeds that a normal person in a normal car would feel are insane, 30kph corners at 80+, curves into onramps where I have to break heavily when hitting the 100 or 110kph highway as I'm going way faster than the speed limit. I have no idea what I'd do with an extra 55 hp!

If I could change one thing that's basically impossible to change on my Cayman it would be the gearing. I wish the first 4 gears were slightly lower. 2nd tops out at just over 110kph at 7400rpm, I wish it was 100 and then 3rd and 4th were similarly shorter. I really like ripping through the gears in my Golf R and if the Cayman was closer to that it would be heaven.
Kattman (06-19-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 11:00 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The 2.7 base Cayman has effectively identical power and similar specs (weight etc) to the BMW E36 M3 as well as the Porsche 964. Both cars were/are plenty fast in their day. With the 2.7 being smaller obviously than a 3.0/3.2 and a 3.6, to put out similar power, you have to rev it…… and that’s fun 🤩

You can definitely definitely definitely go fast enough quickly enough in a 964 to get a speeding ticket…… I guess it depends on what exactly you’re looking for.
Kattman (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 12:13 PM
Kattman
Instructor

After driving the Base on Friday, I've concluded it's PLENTY enough for me. I'm quite sure there are a lot of 'petrel heads' here, with greater experiences of fine automobiles. And there was a time when my 'parking lot' had slightly nicer vehicles. But for perspective....I've been mostly driving basic SUV's for the past decade. Most notably, my current '03 Nissan Xterra - which could not be a more gutless vehicle...haha! But it's great in its 'utility' role..

The '07 Base that I drove on Friday, was virtually flawless. Other than the front bumper cover. Which had a number of paint flakes, and the (factory?) PPF was peeling at the bottom. The underside of the front bumper cover also had a few scuffs. Oh....and the passenger side fog light had a rock chip in it. Other than that...the rest of this car was absolutely flawless! Like....not a mark. Not even the paint on the underside, behind the back wheels. Or the underside of the rear end. I crawled under this car, everywhere...and couldn't even find a small scratch. The interior was equally flawless. Everything worked perfectly. and it was like new. Including the headliner.

As I mentioned. The car is at a 'corner Lot' style dealership. And their tactics where somewhat silly. For example...the car was inside their showroom. And when I showed up to see the car, they wanted me to put down a 10% deposit, for them to take it outside for me to test drive (this was after making an appointment, the day prior, to see the car....and test it). I flat out told them, I was NOT giving them 3 grand for a test drive!! hahaha
A few other 'high pressure' tactics, as well. But I left it....for now.
I'm definitely in love with the Cayman (even more so now). But not in love with that one, specifically. They're all (more or less) going to be about the same. So if a deal can be struck....fine. If not, I'll simply wait until the time (and deal) is right, for whichever car is destined to be mine..

Here's the front end blemishes...

Quick Reply: First Post - looking for advice...