Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Driver Headlight has gone out during road trip and internals are not stock!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 11:12 AM
alex harber
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default HELP! Driver Headlight has gone out during road trip and internals are not stock!

hello all! Please help! I am on a road trip and my driver side bulb has burnt out. This is what the internals look like and I'm willing to bet this is not stock Porsche. What bulb can I replace with?! Does anyone recognize this kit?

If you have a link to the new bulb I'll even buy you a beer if we are close enough!! Haha

Old 06-11-2021, 11:37 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,698 Likes on 935 Posts

I believe the OE ballasts for the Bi-Xenon headlamps are manufactured by Kioto/Denso. That's definitely not OEM.

Did your car come from the factory with the P74 option (bi-xenon headlights)?
Old 06-11-2021, 11:51 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Just get a H7 bulb from a local automotive store and that will at least get you going...
Old 06-11-2021, 12:07 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Just get a H7 bulb from a local automotive store and that will at least get you going...
This ^ ... Don't ruin your road trip obsessing over the exact part. Just get an H7 and plug it up. If it works, buy a second one just like it and put it in your tool kit. It'll make a good "road trip" story later on...

Old 06-11-2021, 12:13 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,698 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
This ^ ... Don't ruin your road trip obsessing over the exact part. Just get an H7 and plug it up. If it works, buy a second one just like it and put it in your tool kit. It'll make a good "road trip" story later on...
I agree with these two comments. Get a bulb replacement and worry about the other when you return home.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,144 Likes on 759 Posts

The problem there is connecting it - it has to be plugged into the 12V wiring powering the HID ballast. The photo looks as if the wiring has been hacked, and it isn't clear to me if this might have been an HID headlight assembly to begin with or not. The photos - with the round thing showing in the upper left corner make me think it might have been a factory HID housing retrofitted with an aftermarket HID kit. The round thing looks like a leveling motor (arrow pointing to it) - something a standard halogen housing wouldn't have. I'm also wondering what's hiding under the mess of electrical tape (red box)...

I guess there isn't any documentation that came with the car showing what was done?

The two connections shown in the blue circles - not sure which is which.. one of them might be a 12V source. This is something that would be lots easier to figure out in person..
Old 06-11-2021, 12:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

For some reason your photo over on 6-Speed seemed a lot clearer to me (go figure..) so here is what I figured out:

In the blue box - the black connector goes to the H7 (?) bulb. Disconnect and put away all the other crappola. Someone extended the halogen connector (the messy electrical tape splice) to reach to the HID ballast. Check your owners manual to make sure the halogen bulb is an H7 (my memory says H9, but I haven't looked it up, and dunno the year of your 987, so..)

Good luck!

The light output will look different
Old 06-11-2021, 01:05 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 340 Posts

[QUOTE=deilenberger;17485707]Check your owners manual to make sure the halogen bulb is an H7 (my memory says H9, but I haven't looked it up, and dunno the year of your 987, so..)/QUOTE]

The image in the original post showed the bulb that blew was an H7 (PL H7 6000K). You may want to compare it to what's in the other side just to be sure the problem isn't caused by having an incorrect bulb. If you can find a 6000K bulb, you can avoid the dissimilar light color.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:18 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 230 Posts

It looks like this bulb at the link would be the correct replacement: xenon H7 6000K bulb.

Amazon Amazon

I suspect you're going to have trouble finding one locally but Amazon has several types.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Are we assuming the rest of the aftermarket HID setup is working? I wouldn't. It's more common for the ballast to fail than the HID capsule to suddenly fail. The typical failure of an HID capsule is the light turns toward violet and greatly reduced output as it starts up.

My suggestion was to eliminate ALL the aftermarket crappola and go back to a halogen bulb - which is powered directly by the 12V feed (which is now powering the HID ballast..)
Old 06-11-2021, 06:59 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

True. I've never heard of any HID bulbs "blow", they just get dimmer over time. It's likely the ballast that went.

He can test the bulb by swapping it over to the other side.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

True. I've never heard of any HID bulbs "blow", they just get dimmer over time. It's likely the ballast that went.

He can test the bulb by swapping it over to the other side.
I believe he's looking for a quick solution since he's on a trip in the car. The quick solution is to unplug all that crapola and put a normal halogen bulb back in. If he's on a trip it's unlikely that ordering replacement parts via the web is really gonna work for him. My solution he could do in the parking lot of an Autozone.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

@alex harber - the rest of the story is?

Quick Reply: HELP! Driver Headlight has gone out during road trip and internals are not stock!