Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carvana - looking for tips/advice as I pre-ordered "my?" car

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 12:42 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Just to update everyone. The week to return the car has passed and the vehicle has performed perfectly to this point. I had a mechanic give it a quick look to make sure. No PPI was performed. Just a look for glaring issues. If anything major comes up I have the warranty til September to fall back on. I've had my PDR guy come to the house and remove all minor dings so the body is now good as new. Next up will be respraying the rear bumper cap that was fixed poorly in the past and replacement of the PPF on the rockers as well as ceramic coating the paint. Hopefully the ceramic coating will make it easier for me to live with a black car. I can't stand looking at a dirty car.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 05:10 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by nesposito
Just to update everyone. The week to return the car has passed and the vehicle has performed perfectly to this point. I had a mechanic give it a quick look to make sure. No PPI was performed. Just a look for glaring issues. If anything major comes up I have the warranty til September to fall back on. I've had my PDR guy come to the house and remove all minor dings so the body is now good as new. Next up will be respraying the rear bumper cap that was fixed poorly in the past and replacement of the PPF on the rockers as well as ceramic coating the paint. Hopefully the ceramic coating will make it easier for me to live with a black car. I can't stand looking at a dirty car.
Congratulations! Would love to see some before / after photos of the rear bumper.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:27 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Duke
Congratulations! Would love to see some before / after photos of the rear bumper.

The following 2 users liked this post by nesposito:
Snakebit (05-20-2021), The Duke (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 11:55 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 140 Posts

Back to MY car... (hey, this is MY thread! Haha, just kidding, I don't care about the other Carvana related posts, so don't worry!)

Had my oil change done, just in case. Did a UOA on it as well, results are below. I expect there's only about 1500 miles on the oil (assuming they did an oil change, as they claim to do before they send you the car) and we don't know which oil it is either, but overall the results seem to agree it could have gone longer. Bottom line, nothing looks out of whack here, which is great to see, but I'd love to hear any other opinions.

The replacement oil is M1 0w40, as that's what the shop had available for it. In the future I may do my own changes, but for $135 having the shop do it isn't bad either.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:12 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Schwinn glad to hear it's all going well still. I have had no problems in the first couple weeks. My check was delivered for the refund of the tax I had to pay so Carvana has kept their word thus far. Getting re acquainted with the perils of owning a black car.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:44 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Some of you asked for before and after pics. I've already posted the before. Here are some shots today after the rear bumper was resprayed, PPF on divers side fender and door sill replaced to correct major scuffing, and then bit of paint correction and a detail with ceramic wax. Looking a bit better than the Carvana detail.

The following 3 users liked this post by nesposito:
Schwinn (06-06-2021), Snakebit (06-04-2021), The Duke (06-07-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:32 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

I had my first experience yesterday with Silver Rock (warranty company). I noticed a drip of oil on my garage floor so brought it to one of their recommended repair shops that deals with European cars. They said it was a slight drip from the oil pan gasket. Ordered the part and put it in. No charge. So far so good. No complaints with Carvana although it seems they may now understand that they were pricing Porsches too cheap. I haven't seen any that seem like a great deal lately on their site.
The following users liked this post:
The Duke (07-21-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 05:42 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Now that my 100-day warranty is up, I feel like I can report more "safely". Bottom line, SilverRock did a great job for me, and went above and beyond. The replaced the headlights (old ones had microcracks and oxidation). Even though they say they won't do cosmetic stuff, they replaced both without any questions. In addition, they covered every other repair I needed and wanted - overall I had about $6k in repairs done (including a MAF sensor) that was all covered by them. They really went above and beyond, for sure.

Carvana has been great overall as well. The only issue I had (and continue to have) is that they messed up the registration on the car: instead of transferring plates, they got me new ones. They told me they would refund me the cost of the plates if I go to the DMV and complete the transfer, which I did... but they still haven't refunded me that cost. So, that's annoying, but in the grand scheme of things it's a small amount. I'm still pursuing it, of course - after all, they promised multiple times that they'd give me the refund, so they really have no excuse.

I am VERY happy with Carvana overall... I can highly recommend it for anyone!
Old 07-22-2021, 05:48 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 127 Posts

It sounds like you got the best of them.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scootr
It sounds like you got the best of them.
Yeah I guess so... but it really didn't take a lot of effort. Fact is, the shop owner that I was working with kept resisting even asking them to cover anything, and was surprised when they did. He actually asked them how they can even consider doing this, because it's costing them so much money. (I was like, why bother... just take what they are offering... don't call attention to it, haha!) But the guy he talked to on the phone said it's not worth them fighting - they want happy customers. Plus, they sell like 800k cars a year, so this is a drop in the bucket for them. My guess is, they probably know it's a premium car, so they're willing to let a little more go... and/or most car owners don't pay enough attention to their cars anyway, so they may not get that many claims from such people.

Honestly, there are a few other things that I could have chased down (trim pieces with a little more sun damage on one side than the other, etc) but I think I got enough out of the deal... so I'm fine with it. I drive my cars, so nicks, etc are not a big deal to me... it's not a trailer queen and I will drive it any chance I get, rain (or probably even snow).

In the end, I paid $24k (round numbers) for my car... got $15k for my trade, and still got $6k in repairs covered. That's a great deal that I don't mind telling anyone about! And I got a car that I really like... so I certainly can't complain!
Old 07-28-2021, 02:30 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Final update on the Carvana process - I finally got my refund check for the registration messup. It took me being consistent every day with texts, to ensure they get it done, and they finally did it. They also sent the check FexEx next-day and it arrived today. This was the only part that was annoying with them - they screwed up the registration, they made me fix it myself at the DMV, and they took far-too-long to refund it. I heard that their registration process is not quite accurate, so I kinda expected this.

Still, all that said, I'm very happy with my Carvana experience. And I love my Boxster! I would definitely do another car through Carvana.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:59 PM
Possible981boxst
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwinn
Now that my 100-day warranty is up, I feel like I can report more "safely". Bottom line, SilverRock did a great job for me, and went above and beyond. The replaced the headlights (old ones had microcracks and oxidation). Even though they say they won't do cosmetic stuff, they replaced both without any questions. In addition, they covered every other repair I needed and wanted - overall I had about $6k in repairs done (including a MAF sensor) that was all covered by them. They really went above and beyond, for sure.

Carvana has been great overall as well. The only issue I had (and continue to have) is that they messed up the registration on the car: instead of transferring plates, they got me new ones. They told me they would refund me the cost of the plates if I go to the DMV and complete the transfer, which I did... but they still haven't refunded me that cost. So, that's annoying, but in the grand scheme of things it's a small amount. I'm still pursuing it, of course - after all, they promised multiple times that they'd give me the refund, so they really have no excuse.

I am VERY happy with Carvana overall... I can highly recommend it for anyone!
That's great to hear about your experience. I just did a preorder on a 987.2 myself. I'm wondering about the 100 day warranty, etc. Did you all purchase the extended warranty on top of your car through Carvana? Or was the Silverlake/Carvana warranty all provided by the 100 day warranty?
Old 08-01-2021, 10:25 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Possible981boxst
That's great to hear about your experience. I just did a preorder on a 987.2 myself. I'm wondering about the 100 day warranty, etc. Did you all purchase the extended warranty on top of your car through Carvana? Or was the Silverlake/Carvana warranty all provided by the 100 day warranty?
I did not purchase the extended warranty. This was all under the 100 day coverage. The warranty company is SilverRock, and they did a great job covering everything, even things they said they wouldn't (cosmetics like the headlights). Can't say enough good stuff about it!
Old 08-01-2021, 03:35 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

I have about 20 days left on my 100 day Silver Rock warranty and the one claim I had they covered no problem. I think it helps if you use their approved repair facilities. I wasn't even aware that it was possible to purchase an additional warranty but I doubt I'll do that as I've had little to no trouble with the car. The 987.2 cars are pretty bullet proof when it comes to major items and I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:41 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I used NO "approved" facility. First off, they wanted me to go to Maaco for the body stuff. I mean, I have used Maaco for my old cars, but I would not consider them for a newer car that I care about.

For the mechanical stuff, they may have suggested a shop, but I went to a well regarded Porsche shop in the area instead. I would go to the dealer, otherwise. In the end, I don't think they are allowed to choose or force a choice (just like with your personal auto insurance)... but they didn't complain or even question it, so I didn't bother to look any further.

Quick Reply: Carvana - looking for tips/advice as I pre-ordered "my?" car