Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 ticking noise (possible bore score?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 01:37 AM
imtherealgusbus
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 ticking noise (possible bore score?)

Hello!

I've recently purchased a 2007 Boxster S and as a new Porsche owner, I am getting accustomed to the noises that come from the vehicle. However, I want to make sure this ticking sound that I hear from the car when it is at idle isn't a bore score symptom. I do not have smoke coming out of my exhaust from cold starts nor do I have excess soot from my tailpipes. The previous owner changed the oil every 5000 miles with Motul 8100. There are no signs of excessive oil consumption. The sound is heard loudest from the driver's side rear wheel.

The sound produced is rhythmic and seems to go away when the engine is revved (possibly because I cannot hear over the exhaust).
Below I have 2 videos to the noise. The first one is just me capturing the noise and the 2nd is when I rev the engine (around 2000 RPM).

https://imgur.com/gallery/5C11BJp
https://imgur.com/gallery/IXWBjKW

If anyone can please provide some insight into the origin of this sound, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for helping!
Old 12-22-2020, 05:37 AM
NAMR6MT
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

@Flat6 Innovations
Old 12-22-2020, 08:16 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,449 Likes on 914 Posts

Major symptom of bore score is oil consumption. If no increase in oil consumption, no worries. If not convinced then do bore scope from plug hole AND from sump. Jake Raby has a YouTube video on the latter.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:09 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by imtherealgusbus
Hello!

I've recently purchased a 2007 Boxster S and as a new Porsche owner, I am getting accustomed to the noises that come from the vehicle. However, I want to make sure this ticking sound that I hear from the car when it is at idle isn't a bore score symptom. I do not have smoke coming out of my exhaust from cold starts nor do I have excess soot from my tailpipes. The previous owner changed the oil every 5000 miles with Motul 8100. There are no signs of excessive oil consumption. The sound is heard loudest from the driver's side rear wheel.

The sound produced is rhythmic and seems to go away when the engine is revved (possibly because I cannot hear over the exhaust).
Below I have 2 videos to the noise. The first one is just me capturing the noise and the 2nd is when I rev the engine (around 2000 RPM).

If anyone can please provide some insight into the origin of this sound, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for helping!
The bore scoring problem usually occurs the most on the thrust portion of the M9X engine which is Bank#2. Watch Jake Raby's videos on the subject. Follow the steps in Part #4 to help diagnose and confirm cylinder bore scoring.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 11-04-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:18 PM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 70 Posts

Hi,

Such sounds are fairly typical with these cars and are usually associated with the hydraulic lifters. Try adding an additive to your oil to see if the noise subsides, as this is a fairly simple and inexpensive approach with no downside. The
 Liqui Moly additive Liqui Moly additive
works fairly well.

-Daniel
Old 12-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I hear 3 sounds very definitively.
-One sounds like as loose spark plug.
-One sounds like a belt roller/ alternator
-One sounds like early onset bore scoring

These engines do not make lifter noises. They will throw misfire codes for sticking lifters, but they do not make noises due to excess lash. The noises that are associated with a lifter issue is followed by an interrupted exhaust note that occurs due to a lack of cylinder pressure when the lifter sticks open, and keeps the valve from closing. I don't hear any of that.

I would perform a bore scope inspection through the sump the next time you do an oil service. I would also check the spark plugs and while you are at it do the BDC bore scope check.
All of what you need tom know about this can be found at www.rennvision.tv
Specifically the "Focus on Bore Scoring Part 4" is a must watch.

You must rule this out before you start throwing other things at the issue, or worrying about it. You can do this work yourself with a few tools and a 40.00 bore scope from Amazon. Assume nothing, and quantify everything. DSo this sooner than later, and you'll save money, stress, and anguish.
The following users liked this post:
Anthonyr105 (11-04-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 11:44 PM
imtherealgusbus
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I hear 3 sounds very definitively.
-One sounds like as loose spark plug.
-One sounds like a belt roller/ alternator
-One sounds like early onset bore scoring

These engines do not make lifter noises. They will throw misfire codes for sticking lifters, but they do not make noises due to excess lash. The noises that are associated with a lifter issue is followed by an interrupted exhaust note that occurs due to a lack of cylinder pressure when the lifter sticks open, and keeps the valve from closing. I don't hear any of that.

I would perform a bore scope inspection through the sump the next time you do an oil service. I would also check the spark plugs and while you are at it do the BDC bore scope check.
All of what you need tom know about this can be found at www.rennvision.tv
Specifically the "Focus on Bore Scoring Part 4" is a must watch.

You must rule this out before you start throwing other things at the issue, or worrying about it. You can do this work yourself with a few tools and a 40.00 bore scope from Amazon. Assume nothing, and quantify everything. DSo this sooner than later, and you'll save money, stress, and anguish.
Hi Jake, thank you for your detailed reply. I plan on taking a look at the cylinders when I perform my next oil change but I am curious if there are any preventative measures that could be done to slow down the process of bore scoring? Aside from the obvious oil change and letting the engine properly warm up. Also, do you recommend an oil sample analysis for my next oil change? thanks!
Old 11-03-2021, 11:55 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by imtherealgusbus
Hi Jake, thank you for your detailed reply. I plan on taking a look at the cylinders when I perform my next oil change but I am curious if there are any preventative measures that could be done to slow down the process of bore scoring? Aside from the obvious oil change and letting the engine properly warm up. Also, do you recommend an oil sample analysis for my next oil change? thanks!
You need to watch the Rennvision Bode Scoring series. The 7th part of this series "A Focus on bore scoring" addresses your exact questions.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:55 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

No clue if this would be the case with our cars, but we had an F150 that had a bad ticking sound and it turned out to be a cracked manifold/header. Maybe check to make sure its not a crack in the header or exhaust system that is making the noise? At least it would an easy fix...

Quick Reply: 987 ticking noise (possible bore score?)