Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:17 PM
Winston Wolf
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Greetings!

Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a second to introduce myself. My name is Mychael, and I live in Houston, Texas. Currently I'm daily driving a Golf GTI. I love it, but have longed for a Cayman for a few years now as a weekend/casual driver. Initially I'd pretty much decided that 981 S was the only thing I wanted, but have started to look at older cars.

Seems like technology took a huge jump in 2013, but the appeal of the more "analog" cars is definitely keeping the 987.1/2 in the back of my mind.

I've read some issues like bore score and IMS, and I'll definitely be scouring the forum for details on these. What's the overall perception of a car like this? Low miles, seemingly well cared for, but 1st gen? My only experience driving one was a 987.1 S, so I can't really comment on how power feels. I want something that definitely feels stronger than my GTI, so I'm scared that a base won't satisfy that? Can anyone comment on the difference power delivery feel in the 2.9 H6 versus my 2.0 turbocharged I4?

Thanks a lot everyone! Looking forward to the journey!

Lastly, quick shot of my 2016 MK7 GTI

Last edited by Winston Wolf; 09-10-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:28 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 739 Posts

H6 not F6
Old 09-10-2020, 09:29 PM
Winston Wolf
AutoX

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
H6 not F6
lol...sorry...corrected.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:40 PM
braunkx
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

IMS and bore scoring only exists for the 987.1 generation, albeit in quite small numbers. 987.2 and up do not have these issues. I personally believe the 987.2 is the sweet spot in value for a Cayman. 981 CS are hard to come by and get snatched up quick, especially manuals. Find the one you want and buy it because if you wait it’ll be gone.

I have a 987.2 2.9 and my previous car was an e92 335. The power delivery between the two is stark, being a turbo i6 the BMW had loads of power at any RPM. This is very different from any Cayman. The power doesn’t come on until 5k rpm so you need to wind it out, otherwise it feels sluggish at low rpm. I don’t believe there will be as big of a difference coming from your VW but it will take some getting used to of not having power readily available.

the 2.9 has more power and weighs about the same maybe a bit less than your GTI so I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Plus makes way better noises 😁

Last edited by braunkx; 09-10-2020 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Winston Wolf (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:49 PM
Winston Wolf
AutoX

Originally Posted by braunkx
IMS and bore scoring only exists for the 987.1 generation, albeit in quite small numbers. 987.2 and up do not have these issues. I personally believe the 987.2 is the sweet spot in value for a Cayman. 981 CS are hard to come by and get snatched up quick, especially manuals. Find the one you want and buy it because if you wait it’ll be gone.
Definitely looking for a PDK car. I'm kinda thinking maybe I should drive a 981 base as well. My max budget is $40,000, but would prefer to be in the mid 30s pocket.

I have a 987.2 2.9 and my previous car was an e92 335. The power delivery between the two is stark, being a turbo i6 the BMW had loads of power at any RPM. This is very different from any Cayman. The power doesn’t come on until 5k rpm so you need to wind it out, otherwise it feels sluggish at low rpm. I don’t believe there will be as big of a difference coming from your VW but it will take some getting used to of not having power readily available.
That's pretty much what I was expecting to hear. Also, I'm kinda looking for Guards Red, which I'm finding particularly challenging to find, unless I'm ready to buy a Cayman R.

the 2.9 has more power and weighs about the same maybe a bit less than your GTI so I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Plus makes way better noises 😁
I know thats for sure. As much as I love my GTI, it's not great for engine noises. I think driving a base Cayman should be added to my to-do list.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:52 PM
Winston Wolf
AutoX

Also...I had another question. I saw recently that Porsche is doing updated stereos for the older cars. Looks like it ends at 986. Any chances that works in the 987 cars as well?
Old 09-10-2020, 10:20 PM
hsattley
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome (and love your username)!

I went through a similar situation, as I had a 6-speed Mk7 GTI and switched to a PDK 981 Boxster (base). The 2.7L in the 981 and the 2.9L in the 987.2 are pretty close in feel. As braunkx said, IMS and bore scoring is only for the 987.1 (and is pretty rare). The 987.2 and 981 are rock solid mechanically.

The biggest thing imo is you have to set your expectations when comparing the two. If you expect to have the same low-down grunt as the GTI, you probably won't be happy with the base. The 981's 2.7L feels slower at lower revs, but it builds power linearly and really comes alive above 4000 rpm, where it does its best work. I was nervous about pushing the 981's engine that hard continuously since it felt abusive, but the 2.7L loves to rev. The GTI, on the other hand, has a strong pull lower down, but the engine feels a little out of breath at higher rpm comparatively.

Overall, the GTI felt stronger when daily driving, since you're not revving the 2.7L out. I honestly didn't mind, though, because what I gave up in straight-line speed I more than got back in terms of feel, driving enjoyment, and sound. That being said, since you want something that feels stronger than the GTI, I would recommend going for an S. The S cars in the 987.2 and 981 had noticeably more low-down torque compared to the base cars.

If you want automatic, I would definitely go for either a 987.2 or 981, which both have PDK, since the 987.1's automatic will feel quite dated in comparison. If you want a manual, I preferred the 981's shifter and clutch pedal feel to the 987.2's (more direct/tight). Both the 987.2 and 981 will definitely have shorter throws than the GTI.

Last edited by hsattley; 09-10-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:25 PM
hsattley
Instructor

For mid-$30k-$40k, you could get a nice 987.2 CS. 981 CS's are a bit out of your budget, even with PDK, unless they are high-mileage.

The stereo updates don't apply to the 987+ cars. If tech is a big thing for you, I would at a minimum get a 987.2.

Regardless of what you go for, make sure to get a PPI, look at the build sheet (use vinanalytics.com - has build sheets for pretty much all US Porsches), and get as much service history as you can. RL'ers are also more than happy to help out and offer advice/opinions, so feel free to post links to any cars you find!

Last edited by hsattley; 09-10-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Winston Wolf
Also...I had another question. I saw recently that Porsche is doing updated stereos for the older cars. Looks like it ends at 986. Any chances that works in the 987 cars as well?
While the 987 isn’t getting the update I’m 100% certain that when it falls into the classic category it will get an updated infotainment option. Several years ago Porsche figured out that the classic cars are a good source of income which is why they created the classic centers. I believe they fall into the classic category either at the 15 or 20 year mark so eventually we’ll see whatever the latest and greatest infotainment options for these cars. Honestly though, infotainment is the last thing on my mind when I’m driving mine. As long as I can play music I could care less about the other stuff.
The following users liked this post:
scootr (05-25-2021)
Old 09-11-2020, 10:00 AM
KrisA
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 129 Posts

I've got both a 987.2 2.9L Cayman and a 2019 Golf R. I know the R isn't a perfect comparison to your GTI, but it's pretty close. I've driven MK7 GTI's and the biggest difference from between them an the R isn't speed, but rather that the R can put the power down all the time where the GTI can light up the fronts. Anyways, between my R and Cayman there is either no difference in speed, or a massive difference in speed, depending how you drive them. Above 5000rpm, foot to the floor boards, 7400rpm shifts, the Cayman is feels about equal to my R. Around town, in the mid range power band, the R is just a complete animal compared to the Cayman. In the Cayman you have to work for the power, but boy are you rewarded for it! The 2-3 shift at WOT makes me giggle everytime I do it in the Cayman, in the R it feels like I'm abusing the car. So long as you are OK with not having big mid range, are OK with wringing out the engine, and have zero interest in stop light drag racing I don't think you could possibly be disappointed with a base Cayman.

If you are considering a 987.2 the biggest change will be going from a very modern, very comfortable, practical and capable car to a fairly raw, old school feeling, sports car. My R feels like a spaceship compared to my Cayman, the Cayman feels like something that was designed in the 90's (it was, an evolution of the 986 it is), wheras the MK7 feels decades newer in comparison. I've never driven a 981, I'm guessing it's a lot closer to the MK7 in feel, that may or may not be a good thing depending on ones perspective.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:11 AM
Winston Wolf
AutoX

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Especially the MK7 Golf owners. I think 987.2 S is my target after talking to everyone, with a really clean 2.9L as a potential.

I feel like the perfect two Porsche collection would be a 978.2 Cayman S and 991 911? Comfort and technology in my touring car with a raw sports?

As long as I can play music I could care less about the other stuff.
I agree honestly. My only real thing was being able to play music via bluetooth, but I think I can live with it.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:41 PM
hsattley
Instructor

Why stop with 2 Porsches for your ideal collection?
Old 09-14-2020, 10:46 PM
Winston Wolf
AutoX

Originally Posted by hsattley
Why stop with 2 Porsches for your ideal collection?
lol fair point.

Thanks a lot everyone.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:16 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

I had an 09 Boxster PDK for six years, tracked it for four. Bought a 2013 Boxster S last November. You can feel the extra 50 HP in the S. If you get a PDK Sport Chrono is a must have IMO. A dealer can add Sport Sport+ to a 987.2, but not a 981. As already stated the 981 cabin is updated compared to the 987.2. You need to drive a base and an S back to back.

Right now the used car market is a bit crazy and prices are up. Mint 987.2 have been in high depend for the last couple of years. You need to decide which options are must haves and be prepared to pull the trigger with a PPI. Early 981s can be found in the low 40s. The one I bought had a dirty CARFAX with a rear end collision when it was six months old. The original owner kept the car for another six years. Bumper and left quarter were resprayed, but no evidence of any structural damage.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:58 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

I think a lot of us on here had similiar paths

2009 MKV GTI > 2010 e92 335i > 2011 Cayman S

I would say they all offer different things and deliver power differently. My 335i had loads more torque than the Cayman S but was way less exciting to drive. You will also be coming from a FWD Hot Hatch to a Mid Engine RWD Purpose Built "Sports" Car.

Good luck on your search!

Quick Reply: Greetings!