Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tire for Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 02:03 AM
higlesias
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

hey guys, just though i'd post some feedback
i put on a set of PS4S on my 987.2, 18" variant.

this may be unpopular opinion, but...... these tires are absolute trash. i hate them. I should have known better.
I guess if you care about wet weather performance, then maybe. but the PS2's are far superior.
my cayman now feels like a Corolla. The car basically feels like it's riding on a bubble of air. jello on my rims. a fluff ball of hopes and dreams on my wheels.
feedback is reduced. i have to drive the car and plan for the roll of the tires as i enter a turn. so if there are quick switchbacks, forget it.

i think it's the treadblocks. there are too many of them compared to the PS2's. my F250 has about as many tread block as these 4S's.

Needless to say, it was a waste of money. I'll now have to order again from Tire Rack and do this whole deal again. /end rant lol
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (04-27-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 03:39 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 248 Posts

Search the web for “new tire squirm”: that’s probably what you’re feeling. Your old tires were worn down and hardened, your new tires have tall, soft tread blocks. They’ll feel a bit more loose until you break them in.

Ref:

https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...with-new-tires

M. Schneider (05-09-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 10:06 AM
Schroedinger
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you played with tire pressure? +/- 2 psi can make a world of difference.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:05 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by higlesias

this may be unpopular opinion, but...... these tires are absolute trash. i hate them. I should have known better.
I guess if you care about wet weather performance, then maybe. but the PS2's are far superior.
my cayman now feels like a Corolla. The car basically feels like it's riding on a bubble of air. jello on my rims. a fluff ball of hopes and dreams on my wheels.
feedback is reduced. i have to drive the car and plan for the roll of the tires as i enter a turn. so if there are quick switchbacks, forget it.

i think it's the treadblocks. there are too many of them compared to the PS2's. my F250 has about as many tread block as these 4S's.

Needless to say, it was a waste of money. I'll now have to order again from Tire Rack and do this whole deal again. /end rant lol
Hey thanks for that perspective.. I've been wondering about softness and road communication of the PS4S's.
The PS4S's came in with a huge amount of marketing and hype and then they just kinda fell flat.

I definitely lean more towards performance, road communication and feel.
I think the Cayman is SO WELL BALANCED, just about any tire will perform decently.

As soon as my PZeros get rubbed out from carving up the canyons, plan to replace 'em with a more performance centric tire.
Toyo's are high on the list, but I'm curious about the Continental Performance line.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:13 PM
CrisTSC
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

It might be worthwhile giving Hankook S1 evo2/3 a try. I have previously used on my former cars quite a few brands and models, including Michelin PilotSport 4 and Continetal SportContact 5 and while I do consider the Michelins the best performance street tire you can buy, I have comed to the conclusion that the Hankooks are by far the best price/performance tire on the market. Similar in the dry and not far off in wet and comfort, while being only two thirds of the price of a Michelin set.

In fact, I have just ordered a set for my new (to me) Cayman 987.2.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:20 PM
higlesias
Advanced

i drove up hwy 1 to fort bragg and did some side roads a couple days ago. put about 300 miles on them and some decent pace too.
while i cannot deny that the tires might improve, i just don't see it happening. i've ran PSS and they felt much better right out of the box.
the only issue for me is my 987 has the 18's and there aren't too many options.

since i have to stay with michelin, i'm going back to the PS2. that tire just felt so much better. kinda sucks though because i'm out labor for the job twice now. but hey, now I know.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:03 PM
charlesr
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had PS2's on my 987 and loved them. I have PS4's on my 981 and they are better. ride is better and handle great. cheap tires on a good car = rough ride, bad handling, etc. my view
Old 04-27-2020, 06:42 PM
chp5
4th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my PZeros with PS4Ss on my 16 CS. What tire pressures are you guys running with the PS4Ss?
Old 04-27-2020, 10:08 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by six sons
I am happy with the RE-71R as well.
Thinking about these shoes next time around. Are they noisy?
Old 04-27-2020, 11:40 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by higlesias

Have you considered an alignment? That wear looks like either an alignment issue plain-and-simple, or you are aligned properly for regular driving running neutral camber while pushing the car hard - and I mean hard - on corners or the track. You get that wear from heavy, hot cornering - any tire will do that at neutral camber after 3-4 days at COTA even with a relatively light car like a Cayman.

PS4's better than PS2's based on several sets on 987.1/2 and E46, both great rides. If the new Conti Extreme Contacts are on sale, and you can save several hundred, they are another contender. At the same price IMHO no-brainer to go with a PS4. Every metric and most reviews say PS4 is the choice over PS2.
chp5 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 04:41 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

s soon as my PZeros get rubbed out from carving up the canyons, plan to replace 'em with a more performance centric tire.
Toyo's are high on the list, but I'm curious about the Continental Performance line.

CC,
The Contis were on my car when I bought it, and they still had plenty of life. Although my new PS4S are not completely broken in yet, I think they are a definite improvement.
chp5 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 09:57 PM
higlesias
Advanced

i messed with tire pressures quite a bit. still don't like the tires. called tire rack and ordered a set of PS2's. they don't cover sales tax and the PS2's are more expensive but I think it'll be worth it. I really want the car to handle the way it did.
maybe i'm just in a camp of my own with this one. overwhelming majority is that people love this tire too. maybe after my new PS2's wear, I'll switch to something closer to R compound and see how it goes
Old 04-30-2020, 10:41 PM
qwe
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

higlesias, my Indy mechanic is a former racer and former head mechanic at a major Porsche dealership. We recently had a long conversation about tires and the "N" rating that Porsche has for certain tires. He told me that there is a difference between an "N" spec and a non-"N" spec tire. Amongst other things, the N spec has a stiffer sidewall. I wonder if that is what you are feeling in the PS2's.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:15 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Good ole Michelin PS-2 vs new kid on the block Michelin PS 4S

The super champ Michelin PS-2 is long in the tooth. For decades, I've fitted the Carrera 993 S almost exclusively with PS-2s however the new kid on the block is the so-called improved Michelin PS 4S... Fellow forum member Higlesias says not so fast ..

What to do? .. The historic PS 2s wear for she-it on the rear of the 911 coupe, but hey what ya going to do. The PS 2 has been a killer performing tire, so has the Pilot Super Sports for that matter; As fitted to my GTI MkV daily driver. (225/45/17")
For my money, more info is needed from real-world mid-engine chassis Porsche owners wearing the new PS 4S.
higlesias (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 12:45 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

From what I've watched/read, PS2s are 1-2 seconds a lap quicker than PS4s, depending on which track, for a few laps, then tail off a good deal. Where the PS4s are consistent for "longer".

Quick Reply: Best Tire for Cayman