Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tire for Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 05:21 AM
higlesias
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE!

Tirerack was kind enough to take back the PS4S and I bought my PS2 N4 again.
WOW!!!! I am happy again.

not sure if anyone has seen any of my driving videos. I'm not a racer but I do like to drive somewhat fast in what I would call a controlled fashion. Long story short, my wife, who has been with me since I was hitting backroads at the age of 17 (I'm now 38), even said; "i don't know what is up with these tires but the car just doesn't feel "put"". That's what she calls it, lol, "put". My last car, the BMW M4 was a drifting machine. Any corner I could steer with the rear. The Cayman though is more of a understeer controlled type of car. It is very stable. The PS4S felt floaty and horrible. To the point where the passenger could feel it.

I installed the PS2's and the car felt instantly stable and predictable again. Back was the slot car feel, the stability I was used to. Granted, I only have a 987.2 S all stock but it feels pretty decent nonetheless. I don't know about wet weather handling and I just don't care. I want them to be street tires that grip well and are not R compound. I guess the "N" rating really does mean something in the end.

Back to the PS4S's. I don't doubt that the rubber is sticky. I'm sure it is. But they just don't feel right. Especially for canyon stuff. As I mentioned, I kept having to change my driving style to account for the slop in the tire. I felt like I was trying to go fast in a minivan, always having to wait for the rear or front to settle before i could make another input. I cannot understand why people love them so much. Then again, I'm no racer, just some random dude. YMMV
The following 2 users liked this post by higlesias:
CaymanCarver (05-10-2020), M. Schneider (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 10:21 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by higlesias
UPDATE!
Tirerack was kind enough to take back the PS4S and I bought my PS2 N4 again.
WOW!!!! I am happy again.

...The PS4S felt floaty and horrible. To the point where the passenger could feel it.

I installed the PS2's and the car felt instantly stable and predictable again. Back was the slot car feel, the stability I was used to.
I want them to be street tires that grip well and are not R compound. I guess the "N" rating really does mean something in the end.

Back to the PS4S's. I don't doubt that the rubber is sticky. I'm sure it is. But they just don't feel right. Especially for canyon stuff.
Thanks for the review.

Quick Reply: Best Tire for Cayman