Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return Radio to Stock

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 10:57 AM
bcoffin23
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Return Radio to Stock

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a 2010 Cayman with an aftermarket radio. I’d like to return the radio back to the oem Unit.

Is this as simple as installing a oem unit and entering the code, or is there a “gotcha” somewhere in the process?

-Bobby
Old 02-09-2020, 03:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

It depends on how the aftermarket radio was installed. If it was done the usual way that aftermarket installers like to do - slash and burn (they hack the wiring harness, removing the factory radio connectors and direct wire to the wires coming out of the back of the aftermarket radio) - it's a rather large project since the Porsche connectors aren't readily available and you'd have to connect all of them to the stub of the existing wiring harness. IF they did it the right way - using an adapter harness that plugs into the factory radio connectors and then is connected to the aftermarket radio - it's a plug and play. If the factory one you're installing is a PCM - I'd guess you'll need help from a dealer since these are usually internally married to the original car they were fitted in using the VIN#. If it's doable - I'd guess the PIWIS is the tool that can remarry it to a new vehicle.

Quick Reply: Return Radio to Stock