Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight delamination?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 08:23 PM
cjrhoades
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Headlight delamination?

I was filling my '14 Cayman up at the gas station the other night when I looked down and noticed the headlights appeared to be full of dust or something. It isn't something I notice when they're turned off but I left the car running as it was rather cold out and with the headlights on it's extremely noticeable. Is it normal for dust to get inside them? Upon further inspection I saw a few areas, mostly at the top of both headlights but also in the middle of the right one that looks and feels like some sort of film peeling off. Is this the famous headlight delamination I've heard about? If so is there anything that can be done to slow or stop it from getting worse?

Old 01-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Nick Stea
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

This does look concerning for delimitation.
does anyone know if PPF is protective against this or make it worse?
Old 01-06-2020, 10:00 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by cjrhoades
Is this the famous headlight delamination I've heard about? If so is there anything that can be done to slow or stop it from getting worse?
Yes and not that I know of. My dealer replaced mine under warranty. Will it happen again? No idea.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

PPF is not recommended for the original 981/991.1 headlights, I understand that these headlights have a coating that’s will come off when the PPF is removed. I believe Porsche has changed the coating along the way but I don’t know what the cutoff is for the corrective coating.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Nick Stea
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
PPF is not recommended for the original 981/991.1 headlights, I understand that these headlights have a coating that’s will come off when the PPF is removed. I believe Porsche has changed the coating along the way but I don’t know what the cutoff is for the corrective coating.
interesting, just as I was about to get it applied.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:39 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

If this is on the outside I don’t see why a really good body shop couldn’t sand and spray clear coat over this.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:33 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

Regarding PPF on the headlights...yes there is a risk that if the film has to be removed it could damage the oem coating. My installer warned me of this. I opted to have the film installed since there is a higher probability of the lenses being damaged by road debris than the PPF in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:20 PM
cjrhoades
Instructor

Originally Posted by saabin
Yes and not that I know of. My dealer replaced mine under warranty. Will it happen again? No idea.
Sad news, especially since replacement PDLS headlights cost a small fortune. Guess if it gets bad enough I could do what @n3rd said and have a body shop buff the rest off and get PPF or some other coating applied.

Anyone know what the deal is with all the dust intrusion?
Old 01-07-2020, 07:46 PM
Jacob Sami
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Same issue here on a 15S, I have the PDLS Plus headlight minus the GTS black housing ones, but the highest they had. I replaced both and bought brand new Headlights. here is the Part Number for the latest revision, and i did install PPF i used Stek since it is not that thick and was tested before with no issues.

Name:  jh8zaDk.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  80.3 KB
Name:  7hrExMC.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  UYiHBUq.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  1.39 MB

Old 01-08-2020, 11:53 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by cjrhoades
Anyone know what the deal is with all the dust intrusion?
You sure that's dust on the inside? Looks more like pits on the outside from road grit.

Anyway, haven't tried it on the 981 headlights, but you can almost always sand off the old headlight coating and then polish and recoat. The key to making it last is to use a good UV-resistant coating, I like this UV-cure stuff called Light Right. Did this process on my clouding 987 headlights and they came out like new.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Cs981dc
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15 CS, I had suntek PPF applied to both headlights. When installer had to redo one of them due to bubbles that didn't go away, peeling off the PPF caused delamination. They had to resurface and re-coat the headlight. Fortunately, only one headlight was affected when peeling off PPF.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:39 PM
cjrhoades
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrMoose
You sure that's dust on the inside? Looks more like pits on the outside from road grit.
You may be right. I took a very close look at them last night and at certain angles it does look like it may be on the outside. It's strange though because the surface feels very smooth and I can't feel any of the pits if that's what they are.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I am going through this now. I. purchased my 15 boxster GTS CPO'd. I had no issues with the lights initially but they started showing signs of delamination within the past year or so. I brought it in for some recall and showed them the lights and they said they would look into it. They claimed they found glue although I am 1000% positive there was no glue and I never had film on them. They honestly weren't that bad and had some rock chips which is to be expected. They did not inform me of what they were doing and tried polishing them. The end result is far worse than when I brought it to them. Looks like someon clawed at the lenses.

I complained and they said they spoke with Porsche and that Porsche would cover 75% of the replacement cost and installation fee. Book time to R&I headlights is 2.4 hours I can do it in under and hour or less. So nearly $500 in labor. Each light is list of $2774 I can get from sunset for $2013.77 each. These are the black accent lights which is standard on the GTS. So at $6k in replacement costs they want me to cover 25%. I think not. At nearly $1500 I can have them stripped down and recoated for a lot less.

Not sure how much of a stink I should make. What good is a bumper to bumper CPO warranty if I have to cover 25%? Sounds like they screwed the pooch and Porsche is making the dealership eat it and they are trying to get me to cover a large portion of their cost.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-03-2020, 11:11 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I really do not like how the dealer tries to sell you on how great a CPO is, then you find out they did not do all the things on the list, and now screw you on things that are not right that should be covered, I would call them out on it.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by schell
I really do not like how the dealer tries to sell you on how great a CPO is, then you find out they did not do all the things on the list, and now screw you on things that are not right that should be covered, I would call them out on it.

I think you're right and plan to do so. Lets eee what happens as soon as I get back from Werks.