Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Exhaust hack - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 05:37 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Zero drone. Amazing from that perspective.
I would have expected (hearing mainly clips of the 987.1 - my mistake) a much stronger effect.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:48 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,708 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Ale_72
Zero drone. Amazing from that perspective.
I would have expected (hearing mainly clips of the 987.1 - my mistake) a much stronger effect.
That's good to start.
I have a wife and neighbors, so provided high rpm sings a bit (and maybe a few pops on over-run), that might keep me happy.

Compared to my friend's C4 with a full Ruf system, the Cayman sounds anemic!
This is what my previous car sounded like (stock), so you can imagine my disappointment with the non-PSE Cayman:

Vielen dank!
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (02-17-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 06:27 AM
Ale_72
Pro

No, definitely it will be different (obviously) and much much, and much, more quiet. But I have to say that in the higher rev part the carnewal one make a very nice metallic note. Too few pops, though.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:26 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ale_72
No, definitely it will be different (obviously) and much much, and much, more quiet. But I have to say that in the higher rev part the carnewal one make a very nice metallic note. Too few pops, though.
Thanks again for the comments, as agree with your observations - subtle, and could be louder, with more popping and crackles, but this suits me fine.
It also means I am able to pass shaken later this year without having to swap back to an OEM system.
Notably too, shaken looks at obvious mods with extra scrutiny and the Carnewal passes that test straight out of the box!

Installation details here.

See ya!

The following users liked this post:
Ale_72 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 08:28 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I've got the Fister mod on my 987.2 2.9 Cayman. Sounds good but still neighborhood friendly. I have the Fister on my 986 boxster, similar but the 986 is louder at idle.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:38 AM
Ale_72
Pro

@Kuro Neko yes. I still think it’s a good product (and for the MFK passed with no hassle it’s a big advantage). The important is to know what to expect.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by steved0x
I've got the Fister mod on my 987.2 2.9 Cayman. Sounds good but still neighborhood friendly. I have the Fister on my 986 boxster, similar but the 986 is louder at idle.

https://youtu.be/el8HglQGNzw
I also have the Fister mod'd exhaust on my '09 987.2 - the difference between how yours sounds and mine sounds is when you downshift. With PCM - it does it immediately (on request or as part of the transmissions anticipation of your needs) - there isn't any popping or burbling since there really isn't any time in neutral - it just goes from higher gear to lower gear immediately (and very smoothly.) Interesting difference. If I was ambitious I'd tie a microphone to the back of my car and try recording it - but aside from my phone I have no recorders anymore, and the only microphone I have (which won't plug into the phone) is a fairly large studio electrostatic. I also sort of lack the ambition. I know what mine sounds like, I've purposely driven through tunnels with the top down just to hear it, but I can't recall that sort of sound on downshifting.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:13 AM
FlyinAg
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I recently did the Carnewal on my 987.2. Word on the street is the Gert changed the magic formula in 2018 to make it better. Mine is the first I have heard in person, so I cannot verify any difference between current and previous mod. HOWEVER, I can verify that the current GT mod sounds a heck of a lot better than stock. It is definitely louder and more aggressive, especially when you get on it. You can actually hear an exhaust not in the cabin now, but it is not drone. Ripping through canyon walls or past barricades is such a treat with the sweet reverberations of the GT exhaust filling the air
Old 02-17-2020, 04:56 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlyinAg
I recently did the Carnewal on my 987.2. Word on the street is the Gert changed the magic formula in 2018 to make it better. Mine is the first I have heard in person, so I cannot verify any difference between current and previous mod. HOWEVER, I can verify that the current GT mod sounds a heck of a lot better than stock. It is definitely louder and more aggressive, especially when you get on it. You can actually hear an exhaust not in the cabin now, but it is not drone. Ripping through canyon walls or past barricades is such a treat with the sweet reverberations of the GT exhaust filling the air
Confirmed!
Out for a blast around the Shuto-ko, through its many tunnels, and down the Wangan for just that tonight...
Old 02-17-2020, 02:35 PM
FlyinAg
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Confirmed!
Out for a blast around the Shuto-ko, through its many tunnels, and down the Wangan for just that tonight...

Just like in the movies? 😛

I keep telling my wife I want to take her to Japan after going to Nagoya and Kyoto for work... There is no way I can go back without doing a cross country tour in a Porsche now after your thread lol.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:48 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Just like in the movies? 😛
Just like IRL...

I keep telling my wife I want to take her to Japan after going to Nagoya and Kyoto for work... There is no way I can go back without doing a cross country tour in a Porsche now after your thread lol.
Do it.
I am sure Fun2Drive will be more than pleased to take your cash for a 964.

See ya!
Neko

Quick Reply: 987.2 Exhaust hack - possible?