Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between these Bosch spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Clickbeast
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Difference between these Bosch spark plugs?

Pardon my ignorance, I don't understand the difference between these identical spark plugs:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...ELIGNT_pg1.htm

I guess one is "Porsche Genuine Parts" - but.... Bosch IS the supplier of the genuine part, as indicated by the almost identical serial #'s:

999-170-151-90-M14 vs 999-170-151-90-OEM

Is it really because one says Porsche or something? It's nearly triple the price....

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2019, 11:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Clickbeast
Is it really because one says Porsche or something? It's nearly triple the price....

Thanks!
The expensive one - the plug will still say Bosch on it - but the nice little box it comes in will say Porsche. Your decision if that's worth triple the price. I know I would go for the cheaper ones since they are the same.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:06 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 155 Posts

I actually have one of the Porsche plugs and as our colleague just indicated, these are exactly the same as the cheap ones. See below the picture I just took.

If you want to replace the plugs, keep one thing in mind, what you almost never hear about in the DIY reports:

These spark plugs are super sensitive. When you install them, make sure that the tip is not touching any metal or anything else. I heard it about this for the first time from one of the forum members here and it was confirmed by one of the service advisors at my local dealership.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:09 AM
Clickbeast
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all! That's exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully this post helps someone else down the road.

I also appreciate the tips about the sensitivity - I plan to have a mechanic install them, while showing me how. I'd like to learn the routine maintenance on my 981 but will take an expert help for the 1st try haha.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:13 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

I have heard but have no way of backing it up with data that the Porsche boxed plugs made by Bosch pass a tighter production tolerance for electrical specifications and that each one is tested instead of random sample test for the non-Porsche boxed plugs.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:52 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
I have heard but have no way of backing it up with data that the Porsche boxed plugs made by Bosch pass a tighter production tolerance for electrical specifications and that each one is tested instead of random sample test for the non-Porsche boxed plugs.
You heard this from someone selling the Porsche plugs?
Old 11-10-2019, 07:32 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

No, I read it somewhere on Rennlist. Search is your friend. Several threads on the topic.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:48 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

No, I read it somewhere on Rennlist. Search is your friend. Several threads on the topic.
I've read that too.. a couple of places.
Here was my response to an earlier thread on the same issue - LINK

So I contacted Bosch and they responded with a lot of published info. about their manufacturing and Quality Control process (mostly marketing materials).
Nowhere do they ever come close to indicating certain plugs they manufacture are of a higher quality than all the others.
In fact it was more about maintaining high standards of quality across their product spectrum.
They run checks at multiple points through the manufacturing process to guarantee every plug meets a standard threshold of high quality.

Also, I think this has been thoroughly tested by a huge collection of DIY'rs on this Forum.. those results withstanding the test of time.
Any issues would've been sussed out a long time ago with real user experiences.

I recently changed my plugs with ones bought from Pelican ($7.25) and they've worked great from the first start without a single issue.
Also just had my dealer run a PIWIS scan and they reported "No Codes / No Issues".
I would think if there was any subtle thing wrong with those OEM replacement plugs, PIWIS would've caught it.

Also you could easily bench test this yourself with a multi-meter and a pulse generator to get some hard data.
Pull a plug from a Porsche branded box ($19 from Pelican), a Bosch box ($7.25 from Pelican) and one from a Bosch box ($3.82 RockAuto).
I bet the results would be very close.

But at this point, I think its moot.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:32 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought the cheaper ones looked exact same as the OEM ones pulled out, just like the coil packs I used Buru looked like the Porsche ones same brand and stamping, I would change the coil packs if you remove the plugs.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:30 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

OEM Porsche plugs are $14.67 each at Sonnen.
The following users liked this post:
MrMoose (11-10-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 12:25 AM
TEF
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

In a age of automated manufacturing, it's hard to believe something as elementary as the testing of spark plugs would be done on a random basis. A production line capable of assembling and packaging a standardize product like spark plugs, would likely have a station where each and every plug is tested in all ways (short of installing them in an engine). Therefore, it's hard to believe that the added cost for the production of Porsche-branded Bosch plugs is the result of individual testing of each. I suspect that like other European car manufacturers, the sale of branded consumable parts is highly profitable.
The following 2 users liked this post by TEF:
CaymanCarver (11-12-2019), deilenberger (11-12-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 10:29 PM
John D. S.
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
These spark plugs are super sensitive. When you install them, make sure that the tip is not touching any metal or anything else.
We are lucky the plugs are so easy to get to.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:46 PM
Thacker
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Would you just buy the damn plugs!
Old 11-17-2019, 12:40 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TEF
In a age of automated manufacturing, it's hard to believe something as elementary as the testing of spark plugs would be done on a random basis. A production line capable of assembling and packaging a standardize product like spark plugs, would likely have a station where each and every plug is tested in all ways (short of installing them in an engine). Therefore, it's hard to believe that the added cost for the production of Porsche-branded Bosch plugs is the result of individual testing of each. I suspect that like other European car manufacturers, the sale of branded consumable parts is highly profitable.
Yes, but accountants rule public companies.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:05 PM
Mike Dodd
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got a set of Bosch ones from FCP. One plug was bad out of the box. First time for everything I guess. Confirmed with moving it between cylinders and different coils.

they were on sale for $6 a plug! I assume Bosch knows they have some bad ones.

the only difference I found was ones coming out at 60k were green and the new ones were blue writing. Color must indicate if they are each tested or just batch spot tested. Not the first I heard all Porsche ones go through individual testing. Could have saved me some burned forearms!

Last edited by Mike Dodd; 02-25-2023 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Difference between these Bosch spark plugs?