Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads : Brembo and Textar

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 11:27 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Brake Pads : Brembo and Textar

I'm about to change my front brakes rotors and pads as part of the refresh for my 2010 Cayman 3.4S PDK Non-PASM.

ECS has a tuning kit with Sebro rotors and textar pads which I'm considering. I'm reading sebro rotors are good and they used to OEM for Porsche? Same with Textar?

Here's the question... the stock calipers are Brembo OEMs I think? If so, would going with Brembo pads as opposed to Textar make more sense? Is one better than the other in terms of stopping power, brake dust and wear?

NO tracking just some occasional spirited driving, maybe aggressive B-road 4 times a year and 85 to 90% daily street use.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:30 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're not tracking the car then stick with the OEM pads, which are going to be the Textar ones. Just because Brembo makes the caliper doesn't mean a Brembo branded pad is the better option, or even a good option. It all boils down to pad shapes and Brembo isn't the only brake pad brand to fit a Brembo caliper. You could choose Hawk, Carbotech, Ferodo, Porterfield, and a number of other options as well. But if you don't want to put too much time into evaluating compound choices and noise / dust properties then stick with the OEM pads and be content in the fact that they work exactly as Porsche wanted.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:39 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Liongolfer
I'm about to change my front brakes rotors and pads as part of the refresh for my 2010 Cayman 3.4S PDK Non-PASM.

ECS has a tuning kit with Sebro rotors and textar pads which I'm considering. I'm reading sebro rotors are good and they used to OEM for Porsche? Same with Textar?

Here's the question... the stock calipers are Brembo OEMs I think? If so, would going with Brembo pads as opposed to Textar make more sense? Is one better than the other in terms of stopping power, brake dust and wear?

NO tracking just some occasional spirited driving, maybe aggressive B-road 4 times a year and 85 to 90% daily street use.

Thanks in advance.
There is an upgraded over the S pads btw... The stock Spyder/R pads should fit, and you can get the Textar brand rather than the Porsche-stamped. They are inexpensive and perform very, very well on street and even on light track usage (i.e. an HPDE day). IMHO they are the best-kept secret in pads for these cars.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:21 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I am not claiming that Brembo pads are better than Textar's, but the Brembo's are ceramic and put out a lot less dust than the OE semi metallics. I recently installed the Brembos and noticed that they grab very well and provide a linear feel when braking. Of course, mine is just daily driving and not track use. I'd rather avoid cleaning the wheels on my Boxster S after a trip to the store.
The following users liked this post:
Mansu944 (08-11-2022)
Old 10-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by TEF
I am not claiming that Brembo pads are better than Textar's, but the Brembo's are ceramic and put out a lot less dust than the OE semi metallics. I recently installed the Brembos and noticed that they grab very well and provide a linear feel when braking. Of course, mine is just daily driving and not track use. I'd rather avoid cleaning the wheels on my Boxster S after a trip to the store.
Thanks. I'm looking at these pads for my 2010 987.2S...

https://m.autozone.com/brakes-and-tr...rchText=Brembo

I have stock non ceramic brakes now. It says these are semi metallic. Any experience with these?
Old 10-28-2019, 04:40 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by daylorb
There is an upgraded over the S pads btw... The stock Spyder/R pads should fit, and you can get the Textar brand rather than the Porsche-stamped. They are inexpensive and perform very, very well on street and even on light track usage (i.e. an HPDE day). IMHO they are the best-kept secret in pads for these cars.

Thanks. Will look into these. These will fit a stock 2010 987.2S caliper? I'm thinking of brembo rotors as well.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:36 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TEF
I don't get much dust at all from the Textars, but I'm sure the Brembo's are absolutely fine as well. I don't have a dog in the hunt, I was surprised how well Textar worked. I literally bought them when I got the car just to verify how stock worked before I wound up going with something more elaborate. 1 HPDE day at COTA and I realized they worked well enough I wasn't going with more elaborate!
Old 10-28-2019, 07:36 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Will look into these. These will fit a stock 2010 987.2S caliper? I'm thinking of brembo rotors as well.
Yes, they fit in the same caliper.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:23 PM
Rip Van Winkle
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In January I put Sebro discs and Textar pads on my 987.1 BS and I really like them for street use. Yes there is dust but I have never had any squeals, squawks, chatter or ill performance whatsoever, hot or cold. Stopping has been very smooth and uneventful and with plenty of feel. I have been on them hard a couple of times and I can keep them right at the limit of the all season tires without triggering the ABS. I don't know what the car felt like when it was new, but this is a huge improvement over the brakes when I bought it.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:42 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by daylorb
Yes, they fit in the same caliper.
Cool.

I guess this is the part you're referring to which is for a 2010 Cayman R?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-textar-p...735193906~tex/

The right side of the Brembo rotors is out of stock so I may have to go with Sebro. Still toying between Brembo pads and now the R Textar pads you have suggested. I'm guessing the R pads being for the R may have better stopping power for whatever reasons despite rotor size being the same?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:14 AM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Anyone tried the Brembo LOW MET pads?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:44 AM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Found this. Not sure if factually true.

Textar makes Brembo brake pads?

And then he goes on to push Ferodo LOL
Old 10-29-2019, 12:48 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Would not surprise me - hard to track where anything is made these days. I thought I read Brembo rotors were made in China now?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:38 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Found this. Not sure if factually true.

Textar makes Brembo brake pads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6_ag_XXUO8

And then he goes on to push Ferodo LOL
Most all of Brembo brake pads are actually made by Ferodo. Some are made by Pagid ( a subsidiary of Textar).

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
Most all of Brembo brake pads are actually made by Ferodo. Some are made by Pagid ( a subsidiary of Textar).
Thanks for this insight! Confuses me even more.

Seems like there are perhaps only a small number of parts makers maybe with many just badge labelling their products.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads : Brembo and Textar