Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads : Brembo and Textar

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 12:23 AM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like I'll be settling for this kit

Brembo Front Brake Kit Low-Met Pads Sensors Disc Rotors for Porsche 911 Boxster

Brembo Front Brake Kit Low-Met Pads Sensors Disc Rotors for Porsche 911 Boxster
www.newparts.com

Thanks for all the advice and time guys. Much appreciated.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:51 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
The rotor wear with yellows is excellent and generally you'll see rotor replacement needed due to heat cycles vs. wear thickness on the track.

Changing to slotted rotors like Sebro for track work will help with the hole to hole cracking of stock rotors.

The main downside of yellows is they're loud on the street as you slow to a stop. Also they're capable of getting more heat in the brakes so going to a high temp fluid is recommended.

Some people feel that SRF is overkill, but if you track often and are in a hot climate, imho it's worth it because I've boiled Motul 600 before on 100F track days and the SRF requires less bleeding/flushing.

That said, if you're only going to the track a couple times a year, the yellows are a bit of overkill vs. the R fronts and the street squeal will probably bug most unless you swap them in/out for track days.
Thanks for the advise, year one I did two track days, year two I have done five, I am probably doing seven or eight next year, It gets more fun every time I go out, I am sure I will have to go with better pads and rotors next year , I am using Motul 600, maybe I will switch to srf in the spring, I have heard Road America is hard on brakes, I plan on being there a couple of times in the summer.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:51 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Liongolfer
Found this. Not sure if factually true.

Textar makes Brembo brake pads?

And then he goes on to push Ferodo LOL
https://tmdfriction.com/
Textar, Mintex, Pagid, etc. not Brembo
Textar is factory on non M BMWs
Pagid is factory on M BMWs.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:46 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Thanks for that. My Pagid’s were very inexpensive.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:24 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Good info. Thanks. I was quite surprised the Brembo rotors are priced slightly less than the Sebros. The Low met pads are about the same as the textars.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:41 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

My advice is you stick with OEM everything. Been down so many aftermarket roads and you get what you pay for. Unless you’re tracking and upgrading, stick to what’s recommended.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:20 AM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
My advice is you stick with OEM everything. Been down so many aftermarket roads and you get what you pay for. Unless you’re tracking and upgrading, stick to what’s recommended.
Does make sense but suerly Brembo can;t be bad right... I hope... I'm giving a lot of equity to the Brembo brand and their online customer service has been first rate!
Old 11-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

That's like saying buy a Camry or all season tires. They don't do anything bad, and they don't do anything good. You also ignore the fact that bean counters had a say in the decision making process. Brembo supplied/supplies many parts to Porsche. The brochure for the S2, and 951 I had boasted about four pot Brembo calipers. Now they are junk because Nissan and other manufacturers offer them as an option?
Old 11-03-2019, 12:05 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Same part number, same pad..............99735193906
What is the part # for the front and, do these pads cross over/up to the 981 and how about dust? TIA dlb
Old 11-04-2019, 09:10 AM
TEF
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

It's not clear to me what the magic is in OE parts. Clearly, no car manufacturer makes every part of its vehicles, so other parts manufacturers are used for reasons of cost. Since economies of scale come into play for all manufacturing, it is less expensive to utilize existing suppliers and parts whenever possible. Therefore Porsche, like others, go to the same companies (for brake parts as an example) as VW, Audi and maybe BMW. As noted in this thread, it seems like Brembo doesn't even make its pads and rotors in some instances. Therefore, aside from the Porsche branding, items like pads and rotors shouldn't vary that much from OEM replacements - especially name brands like Brembo. My experience with Brembo pads on my 2008 BS, have be positive and they came from (dare I say it) Rockauto. Other than putting out less dust per mile, they perform the same as the OE pads they replaced.
The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (11-05-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 01:59 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I've had a pretty different experience. The rotors are a prime example - almost no way to convince me the OE drilled rotors are a better option than aftermarket slotted, at any price.

Sure there are plenty of times OE makes sense, but seems like a case-by-case basis that requires a bit of research each time.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:34 AM
nb1234
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Brake pads are definitely an area one can improve over OE - but each person's definition of improvement is highly unique. For street, I want far less dust and less bite (yes, less) than OE. For track, I don't care one bit about noise or dust, just good performance, durability and resistance to fade. OE didn't really satisfy my requirements, so I swapped them out. Somebody else's requirements are undoubtedly going to be different, and maybe OE suits those needs.
The following users liked this post:
Liongolfer (11-07-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 07:43 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
I've had a pretty different experience. The rotors are a prime example - almost no way to convince me the OE drilled rotors are a better option than aftermarket slotted, at any price.

Sure there are plenty of times OE makes sense, but seems like a case-by-case basis that requires a bit of research each time.
FWIW for the average driver who doesn't track their car, the OE rotors can be resurfaced at any brake shop. I've done it for 40 years. thinking you have to switch out your rotors every time your pads are done is nonsense. Most repair shops, be it indi or dealer make money on selling you parts you don't need.
I would like to find a low dust pad that doesn't sacrifice brake feel. Some say Hawk, some say Textar, Brembo, The discussion goes on ad nauseum. Does anyone have a brand name and part numbers? TIA dlb
Old 08-10-2022, 11:12 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm disappointed in my Brembo pads and I'm replacing them.

When I bought my car (used) I put on 4 ATE rotors and textar pads. I used RBF 600. I had a great experience. Street use was great. Rallies were great.

Fast forward a few years, and several rallies, and it was time to replace the fronts. I went with ATE rotors again, but I spent a little extra to get Brembo pads. The brembo packaging was exceptional and I was so excited to try them out.

I Went to my first rally and the brakes were MUCH less effective than the textars. Less initial bite. Less bit when hot. Just overall worse. They also have less initial bite when cold on the street.

Textars are cheap, they don't seem fancy, and they're not great on the track. But for street use and canyon carving they're definitely better than Brembo pads

Quick Reply: Brake Pads : Brembo and Textar