Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking.. but not finding

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 01:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,145 Likes on 760 Posts
Default Looking.. but not finding

I posted this over in the 9897-981 forum, hasn't gained a lot of traction there. And I'm puzzled (as a moderator) why there are two top-level Cayman forums (even if one includes the boxster - which also has it's own forum..) I think this might get rearranged if I actually find one and get active in these forums. See the Cayenne forum for an idea of what I'm talking about..

So here is what I posted:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm kinda casually looking for a toy car. A 2009-2011 Cayman or Cayman S would probably be suitable, but I have only found one that even came close to what I want - and that one was in California.

1. I'm looking for a color other than black. Whites good. Yellow is fine. Blues are OK. Silver is sorta OK. Gray is OK. Black is NOT OK. I learned that lesson after the last 3-4 cars I bought that were black. They look good for about 50 seconds after you're done polishing them..

2. Prefer an interior other than black but could live with one I guess.

3. Want PDK (I'm old and NJ traffic isn't getting any better, the thrill of clutches left me when my last BMW M-Coupe left the garage) and here are the tough ones:

4. Want power seats. Apparently, they will move up a bit higher than the pump-up seat, which I found left me feeling like I was sitting in a deep bathtub. Also because I'm old and creaky - power seats let me move my position around a bit when on longer drives (like from NJ to CA back to NJ - which I do way too often). The early 987.2 power seats seem a rarity.

5. I want a PCM at least as new as the one in my CTT - and it looks like 2010 is when they started putting something reasonable in.

6. I need a backup camera and/or distance beepers for the rear. I can manage the front without aids (although I do like them on my Cayenne) - but old and creaky make it difficult to figure out exactly where the rear of the Cayman is, especially when sitting in a deep bathtub. I can't see the end of it (I didn't try putting the spoiler up, that might help a bit..) It looks like about 2 cars were ordered with the "parking assist" option, and only one is for sale and it's in California (and I think it's a 6 speed) and I dunno where the other one is. Probably Florida. It seems all Caymans on EBAY come from Florida or end up there sometime. Wonder what's up with that?

Oh - and I'd' like all this for around $30k. I'm not afraid of miles as long as there is evidence of service.

Anyone know where a unicorn like this might be found? Wonder how much it would cost to wrap a black one in a lighter color...?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm seriously thinking about the wrap idea. I have found a 2011 black one locally - no backup camera or beepers, but it has a PCM that would take a backup camera.. The reason initially I didn't pursue it more was (1) it's black (2) the salesman wouldn't shutup (3) manual seats (4) no backup assist.

Anyone know where the "aftermarket" manual is hanging out? In particular wiring diagrams? Wonder what would be involved adding the beepers and the camera to it.

Other question - these came with run-flat tires? I was rather disappointed in the ride quality of the one I tried. I'm wondering if (1) it has run-flats on it (2) if so - if they're OLD run-flats (3) if the suspension was changed.... so my question is - did these come from the factory with run-flats?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:34 PM
colnago1331
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.usedcarspowelloh.com/det...ayman/56944965

This one has everything you need except the power seats.

2011 base Cayman
1. Guards Red
2. Sand beige
3. PDK
4. Manual seats w power recline
5. PCM w/ navigation
6. Rear park assist system
7. $28,981
8. ~55,xxx miles

The selling dealer (Auto Assets) has a pretty good reputation, especially among Porsche owners. When I got my '11 base Cayman I called around to a couple places for a PPI, and one of them actually told me to take it to Auto Assets, which I did.
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 09:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by colnago1331
https://www.usedcarspowelloh.com/det...ayman/56944965

This one has everything you need except the power seats.

2011 base Cayman
1. Guards Red
2. Sand beige
3. PDK
4. Manual seats w power recline
5. PCM w/ navigation
6. Rear park assist system
7. $28,981
8. ~55,xxx miles

The selling dealer (Auto Assets) has a pretty good reputation, especially among Porsche owners. When I got my '11 base Cayman I called around to a couple places for a PPI, and one of them actually told me to take it to Auto Assets, which I did.
Wow.

Almost perfect. I love red cars. My license doesn't so much. The last red car I had - an E46/M3 convertible - I got pulled over on an average of every month or so. Got pulled over for doing 54 in a 50 zone. Got pulled over because a cop heard me accelerate from a turn, and thought I was coming straight from a light and I had to be going over 50 (speed limit..) I pointed out to him that (1) I'm old - that was pretty obvious (2) I'd stopped and done a right turn on red at that light and what he caught on radar was the car behind me who was coming straight through the intersection like a bat outta hell... Didn't get any tickets, but "license and registration" that often becomes really tiresome. My last speeding ticket was 48 years ago.. and even that one was bogus.

Damn. This is very tempting. Another wrap of a color I actually really thinks looks great on the Cayman.. 8.5 hours from my house..
Old 08-25-2019, 09:47 PM
colnago1331
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
<snip>
My last speeding ticket was 48 years ago.. and even that one was bogus.
That' what they we all say....

Damn. This is very tempting. Another wrap of a color I actually really thinks looks great on the Cayman.. 8.5 hours from my house..
If it helps, I'd be happy to bring it to you if you pay for the car, the gas, and a plane ticket back to Ohio.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:33 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Re: Item #4. I'm 'short-ish' & felt like I was a 'lowrider' in my 981 with pump up seats. I put about 1" of washers under the rail that the seat slides on, and now I feel like a grown up. You don't even have to take the seats out, but you will probably need longer bolts. I painted the washers black, and if you ain't lookin', you ain't seein'. Happy hunting; it's a great car.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:44 PM
777AIA
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you find something older than 2010 that peaks your interest… I have found the need to replace the radio and Nav systems pretty regularly in the older models, and there are many options which include adding a back up camera. The older Navs stop being supported (2012 typically) and the radios don’t have options we need now: bluetooth, etc.
I’m in an ‘07 Cayman S And have it set up just the way I want it with similar options...
Old 08-26-2019, 07:11 PM
-Silvius-
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you find what you are looking for. It looks like the power seats requirement will make it a tougher find.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I visited a 2011 today for the 2nd time. It, of course, is missing power seats, park assist and it's black. The first time I drove it I was unimpressed. That probably had something to do with the temperature being unbearable (95F and about 90% humidity - it was a mini-Florida summer day in NJ). It seemed to handle OK, but nothing really special.. the ride quality was hard - harder than I would have expected. And acceleration was strange and the PDK seemed to be working oddly. And it's black (straw interior as usual.) Oh - no HID/Xenon, at least no headlight washers so I assume no HID/Xenon. Has a PCM that should have video camera input.

I went back today, I'd contacted the salesman and asked him to look at the DOT dates on the tires. The rears were 2014, had about 1/32" to go to the wear bars. The fronts had similar wear, but they were from 2011 and 2012. They're Michelin PS2's. I think that explains the hard ride and not too impressive handling feel. It might also explain what seems like somewhat high effort required on the steering - the steering had no play and would happily go dead straight hands-off at 80MPH.

The strange acceleration was caused by a winter (genuine Porsche) floor mat being stuffed in the front so it covered the accelerator pedal. Pressing the pedal through the mat was singularly unsatisfying. Acceleration and transmission behavior seemed as they should be. PDK was quite responsive to manual input - and very smooth even on higher speed downshifts. In other words - it went OK.

I brought along my iCarScan X431 Launch dongle - and did a read on the car while I was there.. I didn't think to check the RPM ranges - but with PDK these are really unlikely to be an issue..

The results of the scan:
=================================================================
Air conditioning 1 problems exist
1.8023 Outside air/recirc. air flap motor

TPM (Tyre pressure monitoring system) 2 problems exist
1.8003 System disturbance
2.8024 Wheel electronics, rear right

PAS (Porsche Access System) 1 problems exist
1.8001 Power supply

The following systems are OK:
1.DME (Digital engine electronics)
2.Tiptronic transmission control
3.PSM (Porsche Stability Management)
4.Instrument cluster
5.Gateway
6.VEH.ELECTRICAL.SYS
7.STEERING COL.SWITCH
8.POSIP (Porsche Supplement Impact Protection)
9.AWS (Advanced Weight System)
10.Driver's door
11.Passenger's door
12.Front-end electronics
13.Rear-end electronics
=================================================================

The first one apparently is rather common. It's common enough that my '11 Cayenne CTT has that one. On the CTT - all it means is that the damper is a bit slow. It expects full travel in XX seconds - it sometimes does it in XX +5 seconds, which triggers the error code. The CTT has been doing this for about 3 years now. Hasn't changed. System works fine. The flap does move, I've checked it.

The 2nd code about the TPMS was already known since there is a warning message on the dashboard. My WAG - the sensor is kaput due to old sensor battery. Other possibility could be a bad antenna in that wheel-well, but doubtful. More likely to be an old sensor - meaning all of them should be replaced.

Third one - the PAS error - is one I haven't seen before. Perhaps the car battery got discharged? Dunno. I left it there - didn't reset it - but the obvious first try would be to reset it and hope it goes away.

So we've got a decent Cayman (non-S), wrong color (but maybe I could stand it until I could afford getting it wrapped), needs 4 tires, needs for TPMS sensors, might need a stepper-actuator for the HVAC (or not) and I'd have to add a backup camera (prices from $29 - $800) and it still wouldn't have HID/Xenons.

Thing is - for what it is - the price is almost right. Tires=$1,100 installed; TPMS = $125/eachx4=$500, get them installed when tires are being done; HVAC I'd ignore until I figured out what was wrong; Backup camera - maybe $150. So maybe an additional $2k after-purchase expenses. This starts bringing it up close to the Guards-Red, which really looked almost perfect. https://www.usedcarspowelloh.com/det...ayman/56944965

Gotta find out what additional fees each of these dealers have, and if the local one would be willing to split some of the after-purchase expenses with me. Tires at wholesale - they do the mounting/balance? And the TPMS's. I think I'll ask.

Thanks all! Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:25 PM
OLY-S
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I just purchased a '15 S with only 6500 miles on the clock... and added a good 60 month bumper to bumper warranty for peace of mind... I'm betting I'll at least break even over duration of ownership. Nicely optioned with power seats, A/C seats, heated steering wheel, PDK, Bi-Xenon Dynamic Lights, Premium Package Plus... buying "new-used" saved a tad over 30%..

Last edited by OLY-S; 09-16-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:27 PM
colnago1331
Intermediate

Thing is - for what it is - the price is almost right. Tires=$1,100 installed; TPMS = $125/eachx4=$500, get them installed when tires are being done; HVAC I'd ignore until I figured out what was wrong; Backup camera - maybe $150. So maybe an additional $2k after-purchase expenses. This starts bringing it up close to the Guards-Red, which really looked almost perfect. https://www.usedcarspowelloh.com/det...ayman/56944965

Gotta find out what additional fees each of these dealers have, and if the local one would be willing to split some of the after-purchase expenses with me. Tires at wholesale - they do the mounting/balance? And the TPMS's. I think I'll ask.

Thanks all! Any thoughts are welcome.
FWIW - you can get TPMS sensors for way less than $125 each. Tire Rack has them for $69 a pop, and Auto Rim Shop has them for $49 a pop. They're probably not OEM, but I'm not sure that matters all that much.

On the A/C, I get the same error on my Durametric, but like you I know the flap works. When I run the "live" numbers on the flap, there's a definite change when I push the recirc button.

Finally - if you have the VIN for the close one, just type it out or paste it at the end of this URL: http://dealer-site.com/admin/build_s...print.php?vin= and it'll tell you what options the car has. Here are the options on the Guards Red one near me.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by colnago1331
FWIW - you can get TPMS sensors for way less than $125 each. Tire Rack has them for $69 a pop, and Auto Rim Shop has them for $49 a pop. They're probably not OEM, but I'm not sure that matters all that much.

On the A/C, I get the same error on my Durametric, but like you I know the flap works. When I run the "live" numbers on the flap, there's a definite change when I push the recirc button.

Finally - if you have the VIN for the close one, just type it out or paste it at the end of this URL: http://dealer-site.com/admin/build_s...print.php?vin= and it'll tell you what options the car has. Here are the options on the Guards Red one near me.
Kinda figured the TPMS can be found way cheaper. Found ones listed for it - $50/set of 4... dunno if I'd use those..

Here are the two Build Sheets.. strangely - the local one may have more stuff.. and for sure - less miles. It has 33,000, Ohio 55,000.

Ohio Cayman

NJ Cayman

NJ Cayman
NJ has Satellite Radio
Convenience Package (no idea of what that includes...)
Infotainment Package w/Snd Pkg Plus (Sound Package Plus?) - more speakers or something? It's sorta listed twice.
And surprisingly to me - the Xenon headlights with PDLS (which I assume the other one has too..)
And Auto-Climate control (which I've dearly loved on my Cayennes.. I just set the temp and the car takes care of the rest.)
Plus embossed head-rests. Dunno how I've survived - none of my Cayennes have had embossed head-rests.

Ohio Cayman
Park Assist

I think I have to talk to the salesman, mebbe he can convince his boss, who seems anxious to see the thing leave their lot - to cut a deal of some sort. Perhaps a Labor-Day special deal.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Just a follow up.. apparently right after my last visit, where I found out why it didn't accelerate well - someone else came in, drove it, bought it, took it away 2 days later.

That teaches me about being a good guy and not putting the floor matt back in position over the accelerator. Bummer. After I wrote it up like I did above, I realized it was actually a pretty good deal, even if it needed tires.

SO - still looking.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I wonder if the characterization of "toy car" is hampering things on this part of the forum?

What do you mean by this? Occasional use?

I believe these cars especially the S versions are probably the most fun nimble sports car to drive I've ever owned. I don't think Porsche had in mind that description especially the 987.2's

Some comments about colors. I've got a Lapis Blue on mine and if you don't like black I wouldn't suggest this color. They were a premium cost later and they are especially rare in a 987.2. I think Sapphire Blue is stunning and a bit easier to keep looking clean.

The 981's are more option heavy as you want and the price will command that if it is no object, so better luck from 2011 on up. I've found that the market has tightened up recently with these cars especially and the demise of the 718 and the four banger it came with. Why not a 718?

My thought's about availability.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by shus2006croc
I wonder if the characterization of "toy car" is hampering things on this part of the forum?

What do you mean by this? Occasional use?

I believe these cars especially the S versions are probably the most fun nimble sports car to drive I've ever owned. I don't think Porsche had in mind that description especially the 987.2's
Porsche really has one primary goal - selling cars. If it requires supporting racing, well Sunday wins = Monday sales.

As far as "toy cars" many people here are taking cars racing. The Cayman seems quite the popular platform for all sorts of race shenanigans. That's a serious use for one of these cars, but I'd also consider it a toy use - you don't HAVE to take it racing, and anyone of sound mind knows it's insanity.. IMHO, racing is a good thing and improves the breed (or as with the 966's exposes the weaknesses) It's just not my thing,.

Other people are buying factory ready race-cars - apparently to polish. GT3? How many ever see the track? Or R's? Or Spyders? Owning and enjoying caring for a nice shiny car - that's also a good thing. Those people are really buying pretty shiny baubles for themselves to be seen in. That pretty much makes it a toy car. the fact that they frequently increase in value just makes this ownership sweeter.

Buying a Porsche to impress others? Aren't most of us guilty at least to a small extent of this? It's certainly not difficult to identify cars costing a fraction of a Porsche that provide 100% of the utility of a Porsche, and 90% of the comfort and styling. KIA with the Genesis is pressing this line right now. Most Porsche owners wouldn't agree - but I have a long time ex-Boxster owner/enthusiast who will tell you all about it. He grew tired of being raped by the dealers. He loves his Genesis.

And finally some people - but very few I bet - buy a Cayman for day to day daily driver use. I did that for some years when I was young and poor, and the only way to justify a Volvo P1800, or a Jag XKE was to drive the thing to work, to the store, library, dinner out - ie - a daily driver. That greatly lessens the toy aspect of car ownership. It almost makes owning it make sense.

My own goal. Have something in the garage I can tinker with, wax and occasionally take on a semi-spirited ride somewhere. Pretty much what I wish I could have done with my XKE many-many decades ago, and did do with a number of BMW M-Cars, back when that meant something (M3 convertibles, several M-coupes - the original Z3 based one.) I had been doing this sort of thing with motorcycles for the past 40 years - and doing silly long rides (back and forth the US a few times) on them just because I could once I retired, but age has caught up with me, and some health issues are making the likelihood of that happening again slim - at least on a bike.

So my definition of a "toy" car is "one I do non-serious things with." I have a Cayenne Turbo for serious rides (my wife refuses to fly, and our son daughter-in-law and granddaughter live in LA.. the turbo almost knows the way by itself.)

AS a toy - my fun cash has a limit.. since besides buying it, one must pay tax when buying it, maintain it, insure it, pay registration on it - all those things that come along with a motor-vehicle in NJ.

Originally Posted by shus2006croc

Some comments about colors. I've got a Lapis Blue on mine and if you don't like black I wouldn't suggest this color. They were a premium cost later and they are especially rare in a 987.2. I think Sapphire Blue is stunning and a bit easier to keep looking clean.

The 981's are more option heavy as you want and the price will command that if it is no object, so better luck from 2011 on up. I've found that the market has tightened up recently with these cars especially and the demise of the 718 and the four banger it came with. Why not a 718?

My thought's about availability.
Thanks for your thoughts. My budget is topping out at $30k or so all in, that puts the 981 and 718 out of reach at this time (I am fond of both.) I'm married. I've owned something like 52-53 cars since we got married almost 50 years ago. As you can imagine, that becomes a topic of "discussion" when I think of buying another one, especially a "toy" one that's really totally unneeded. A sane logical person would say two expensive cars (my wife has the Lexus) for two people is probably enough. I make no claim to sanity or logic like that. I generally agree with them entirely. I buy what I like because (1) I like them (2) I can sort of afford them (3) I'm not getting any younger - and that's becoming painfully obvious to me (4) and you meet interesting people this way. The social aspects are part of the fun of a toy car.

I have two friends who were much better off than I am - who had the same lust. They both satisfied it by buying or creating high-end performance used car dealerships. No new cars (most of us with this obsession have very little interest in a new car - and owning a dealership lets you go to Manheim!) - that seemed to satisfy them for several years, but eventually they did sell the dealerships - at a profit. Turned out they were pretty good running that sort of business. They made no pretense of really being interested in selling cars - they had employees who handled that. They just wanted to be able to buy "interesting" cars, drive them around for a month or two, then move on to something else. I don't have that kind of money, nor do I want the headaches that come with running that sort of business - but it certainly was fun for my friends for a few years. I never knew what they'd turn up in next. BTW - how many small used car dealers do you know who have a car "on the lot" that really isn't - it's their toy.. until they get bored with it and find another. Guys can be quite fickle this way..

I saw Sapphire Blue - I think on a 911 - and indeed the color is stunning. It shows off the curves to great advantage. Thanks a lot for you input. I probably over-explained everything.. I suspect a lot of guys here are just like me, but perhaps at a different stage of the obsession.

I also like having a car where I'm compelled to park it in the outer reaches of any parking lot - and the Cayenne Turbo just isn't doing that anymore.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:54 PM
777AIA
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Problem with those ‘Tire Rack’ TPS’ is that they are not compatible with the Porsche software... you will get failures constantly.
Anybody had luck?

Quick Reply: Looking.. but not finding