Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking.. but not finding

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,145 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by 777AIA
Problem with those ‘Tire Rack’ TPS’ is that they are not compatible with the Porsche software... you will get failures constantly.
Anybody had luck?
Sorry - is this a prelude to spam, or simply a post out of place? It has nothing to do with the topic being discussed...

Ah - now I see it - you were adding onto a bit of discussion that took place a bit earlier in the thread. As a suggestion to avoid confusing old pharts like me - use the "Quote" button and leave a bit of what you're replying to in your new reply. Then people can see what it refers to.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Porsche really has one primary goal - selling cars. If it requires supporting racing, well Sunday wins = Monday sales.

As far as "toy cars" many people here are taking cars racing. The Cayman seems quite the popular platform for all sorts of race shenanigans. That's a serious use for one of these cars, but I'd also consider it a toy use - you don't HAVE to take it racing, and anyone of sound mind knows it's insanity.. IMHO, racing is a good thing and improves the breed (or as with the 966's exposes the weaknesses) It's just not my thing,.

Other people are buying factory ready race-cars - apparently to polish. GT3? How many ever see the track? Or R's? Or Spyders? Owning and enjoying caring for a nice shiny car - that's also a good thing. Those people are really buying pretty shiny baubles for themselves to be seen in. That pretty much makes it a toy car. the fact that they frequently increase in value just makes this ownership sweeter.

Buying a Porsche to impress others? Aren't most of us guilty at least to a small extent of this? It's certainly not difficult to identify cars costing a fraction of a Porsche that provide 100% of the utility of a Porsche, and 90% of the comfort and styling. KIA with the Genesis is pressing this line right now. Most Porsche owners wouldn't agree - but I have a long time ex-Boxster owner/enthusiast who will tell you all about it. He grew tired of being raped by the dealers. He loves his Genesis.

And finally some people - but very few I bet - buy a Cayman for day to day daily driver use. I did that for some years when I was young and poor, and the only way to justify a Volvo P1800, or a Jag XKE was to drive the thing to work, to the store, library, dinner out - ie - a daily driver. That greatly lessens the toy aspect of car ownership. It almost makes owning it make sense.

My own goal. Have something in the garage I can tinker with, wax and occasionally take on a semi-spirited ride somewhere. Pretty much what I wish I could have done with my XKE many-many decades ago, and did do with a number of BMW M-Cars, back when that meant something (M3 convertibles, several M-coupes - the original Z3 based one.) I had been doing this sort of thing with motorcycles for the past 40 years - and doing silly long rides (back and forth the US a few times) on them just because I could once I retired, but age has caught up with me, and some health issues are making the likelihood of that happening again slim - at least on a bike.

So my definition of a "toy" car is "one I do non-serious things with." I have a Cayenne Turbo for serious rides (my wife refuses to fly, and our son daughter-in-law and granddaughter live in LA.. the turbo almost knows the way by itself.)

AS a toy - my fun cash has a limit.. since besides buying it, one must pay tax when buying it, maintain it, insure it, pay registration on it - all those things that come along with a motor-vehicle in NJ.

Thanks for your thoughts. My budget is topping out at $30k or so all in, that puts the 981 and 718 out of reach at this time (I am fond of both.) I'm married. I've owned something like 52-53 cars since we got married almost 50 years ago. As you can imagine, that becomes a topic of "discussion" when I think of buying another one, especially a "toy" one that's really totally unneeded. A sane logical person would say two expensive cars (my wife has the Lexus) for two people is probably enough. I make no claim to sanity or logic like that. I generally agree with them entirely. I buy what I like because (1) I like them (2) I can sort of afford them (3) I'm not getting any younger - and that's becoming painfully obvious to me (4) and you meet interesting people this way. The social aspects are part of the fun of a toy car.

I have two friends who were much better off than I am - who had the same lust. They both satisfied it by buying or creating high-end performance used car dealerships. No new cars (most of us with this obsession have very little interest in a new car - and owning a dealership lets you go to Manheim!) - that seemed to satisfy them for several years, but eventually they did sell the dealerships - at a profit. Turned out they were pretty good running that sort of business. They made no pretense of really being interested in selling cars - they had employees who handled that. They just wanted to be able to buy "interesting" cars, drive them around for a month or two, then move on to something else. I don't have that kind of money, nor do I want the headaches that come with running that sort of business - but it certainly was fun for my friends for a few years. I never knew what they'd turn up in next. BTW - how many small used car dealers do you know who have a car "on the lot" that really isn't - it's their toy.. until they get bored with it and find another. Guys can be quite fickle this way..

I saw Sapphire Blue - I think on a 911 - and indeed the color is stunning. It shows off the curves to great advantage. Thanks a lot for you input. I probably over-explained everything.. I suspect a lot of guys here are just like me, but perhaps at a different stage of the obsession.

I also like having a car where I'm compelled to park it in the outer reaches of any parking lot - and the Cayenne Turbo just isn't doing that anymore.

Great post. Yes....sounds actually that you are a lot like me. Kids all moved away. My wife has gotten into leasing any car. She is the type of person like your friends who just like changing cars every three years.

I love my Cayman and in your context, it is a great toy.

I'm an engineer so I've always loved Porsche and admired the engineering that goes into it.

In regards to your search, I've found the later model 987.2 are getting difficult to find. There are a lot of silver ones out here...California...and I don't know why but the other colors tend to be other places in the country. I looked for a blue one....just like the color....and looked for more than a year.

Good luck with your search, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Quick Reply: Looking.. but not finding