Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire sealant exploded in frunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 12:14 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
As many here already stated, no one needs this stuff.
Considering the car doesn't have a spare, you kind of do.

No idea if the original stuff really stops working after a few years, but like the above poster I just replaced mine with a bottle of Slime. It's a lot cheaper than the Porsche stuff. It's in a big ziploc bag to avoid potential leakage issues.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 164 Posts

i replaced mine with what appears to be the OEM product.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192389664868
Old 08-21-2019, 02:54 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts

I also carry a tire plug kit with me at all times. Not sure that I would trust the goo. Maybe I ought to just yank it out of the trunk completely.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:29 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jg (atl)
I also carry a tire plug kit with me at all times. Not sure that I would trust the goo. Maybe I ought to just yank it out of the trunk completely.
Ditto, plug kit is in my boot as well.

I have two tire failures in the Boxster and neither would be fixed with plug or goo. Both were "big hole" events. No damage, just time and an expensive tire replacement.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:56 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I can't really imagine a situation where I'd use the sealer, but feel marginally safer knowing I have some, because Porsche must know what they're doing . The vast majority of tire issues I've had over my 50 years of driving has been picking up nails, but usually the leak is slow enough you don't need sealer. And I do carry a plug kit. The one issue I had with my Cayman was on 10-hour drive home - had apparently picked up the nail the day before. I stopped every couple hours to top off the pressure. TPMS was very handy to have that day.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:41 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Today I finally had some time to look back at my frunk mess and it turned out to be a much bigger mess than anticipated. I had to remove the emergency trunk release handle to see how much more mess was caused and this stuff had ran behind the carpet all the way down into the inner part of the frunk. I also removed the entire carpet in the frunk, much easier than expected. I have for tomorrow my Saturday project to clean all the area behind the carpet and on the plastic parts. One positive side effect of this adventure is that I could remove the frunk carpet and find the part number behind it (until now I could not find any where neither the official name nor the part number of this frunk carpet). I just googled the part number and it costs much less than expected (around 150 dollars). Since I already had the issue with the loose frunk carpet, I am just going to order a new carpet and not bother cleaning the carpet portion.
The following 2 users liked this post by john981:
kiznarsh (08-25-2019), Marine Blue (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 03:05 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 69 Posts

Really sorry to hear what a PIA and mess this turned out to be.
Thanks for warning us all about this potential hazard.
Good luck sorting it out.
The following users liked this post:
john981 (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 03:30 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

BTW, this is the loose frunk carpet issue I was referring to: https://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-problems-and-complaints/144313-whats-story-frunk-lining.html

Mine is even more severe than shown on some of this pictures.

It seem that this is more common than one would think. I have seen it on several cars offered for sale and it is all across from 2013 until 2019 for 981/718 cayman and boxsters. I still haven't figure out what causes this issue but it is for sure not fixable (except when you use permanent glue!). The only fix is to install a new carpet. If anyone has this issue, here is the current part number 981.551.045.03 A31. The frunk carpet is a two component carpet, this is the part number for the bigger component which has the issues. The average price online is around 150-160 dollars (plus shipping, since quite bulky, around 50 dollars). I called my local dealer and ask him to match with the average online price, what they did, this way I don't pay the high shipping price. Hope after cleaning, the carpet installation will be as easy as its removal.

So now we turned the tire sealant thread to frunk carpet thread :-) Anyway, just wanted to share everything associated with this issue, so in case anyone faces similar problems, can benefit from it.
The following 2 users liked this post by john981:
Jerry in Canada (08-26-2019), JPMD (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 05:01 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Attached some before and after pictures. It is really important to remove all the stuff around the cables, each cable individually! The sealant material is pretty aggressive and greasy and I am quite sure, if not removed, it will damage over time the isolation of the cables. On top of that it smell pretty strongly, so you want to remove all of it.You have to be very patient and carefully around the cables - Just take your time. I am not fully done yet but the most painful work is done now. Hope no one has to go through this, but if it happens make sure that you look behind the carpet! Will post next pictures after the carpet installation.

Last edited by john981; 08-24-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:46 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

John, what a huge PIA! Very sorry for your trouble and I hope it works out okay. Thanks for the heads up as my goo is approaching 7 years old and I am now going out to remove it from my frunk. I, like others have been carrying around some Slime and plug kit in a sealed plastic box in the frunk. Have yet to need to fix a flat, knock on wood.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:11 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meteor10
John, what a huge PIA! Very sorry for your trouble and I hope it works out okay. Thanks for the heads up as my goo is approaching 7 years old and I am now going out to remove it from my frunk. I, like others have been carrying around some Slime and plug kit in a sealed plastic box in the frunk. Have yet to need to fix a flat, knock on wood.
Thank you meteor10, appreciate it. This stuff is made to go inside smallest gaps and it is indeed a huge PIA to clean up. Even after the last (clean)picture I posted, I had to go back and go around each cable individually to remove all the residuals. Good lesson learned, wont replace the stuff and I hope with this post I could help others preventing to face the same issue.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:02 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Update on my Frunk mess: After lots of clean up work and 200 dollars later, new carpet is installed and everything is clean and looks like new. Installing the new carpet is super simple, just make sure that you place the smaller of the two carpet components first and than the bigger one. One question: Since I dont want to use the porsche tire sealant anymore, what would you recommend (if possible with link) to have as emergency solutions to fix flat tires. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-17-2019, 05:19 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Slime has a TPMS-safe sealant that doesn't ruin the tyre either (or so they say) and is non-toxic. That's what I've put in my froot (US english: frunk).

I got it at my local auto store (link not much good unless you're in Australia!)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I keep this in the car - Slime 60189 Eco-Friendly Formula. There are numerous threads on this topic, and this sealant has apparently been used and cleaned off easily without damaging TPMS. I've not tried it - just quoting what others have said.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:01 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I've had good luck with Dynaplugs. While driving home from a DE a few years ago, I came across a GT3 on the side of the road with a long stream of factory tire goop running down the road. He had a big hole in the rear tire. It took 3 Dynaplugs to seal the hole. He contacted me later and told me he drove on the plugged tire for three days before he made it to a tire shop and it held pressure the entire time.

Amazon sells different Dynaplug kits, which mostly just vary by the size of the tool (for bike vs motorcycle vs car) and the number of plugs. I'm sure other places sell the kits too.

Quick Reply: tire sealant exploded in frunk