Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To N or not to N?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 AM
dhc3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To N or not to N?

That is my question.

Looking for tires for Summer performance tires, as we have a set of winter wheels and tires.
18" wheels.

Porsche N spec vs non N spec. Are the N spec really worth the extra $$? What do you guys usually go with?

Old 04-11-2019, 09:55 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

What is your driving style?

Of the tires I have bought for my P-cars over the past 6 years, I have gone with either MPSS or MP4S, and I didn't get the N-spec version (not sure N spec is available for my sizes (19 and 20).. At about $30 extra per tire, I'm not sure it's worth it. The 4S is a fantastic tire, N-spec or not.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

Search is your friend. There have been threads on this in the last two months. Bottom line, read the test results and buy what you think is best for you. Unless of course if your butt dyno is set exactly the same as another poster's butt dyno.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:11 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 152 Posts

It's a split camp like pretty much everything. Bottom line, if money wasn't a factor, everyone would opt for N spec since it's universally accepted that N spec tires are the result of a collaborative effort between Porsche and the tire maker to optimize road performance. Because money is a factor you'll get many who don't want to pay the marginal premium and swear they can't tell any difference which they can't because who gets the chance to try both tires at the same time? Up to you. I've never had any issue with N spec tires. The only non-N spec tires I've had success with are extreme performance tires like Bridgestone RE series tires for which there is no N spec option. I did try Michelin Pilot Super Sports (non N spec) twice on 997s and really didn't like them. Hate making the same mistake twice, which I did.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:04 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I personally think the concept that Michelin makes a different tire in 18" vs. 19", branded as the same MPSS#, with a different compound or specs to qualify for an "N" stamp doesn't make sense to me from a development, design, or manufacturing perspective.

The PS4 development was a major effort with massive amounts of research. It then results in a major tooling of a production line, complicated processes around the tire production, mixing of specific compounds, etc. To get an N spec tire to be different - there would have to be parallel development, different compounds, research, different production line, etc. It just doesn't add-up. I'd be shocked if there was any difference at all, and even more shocked if that difference was noticeable.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 721 Likes on 394 Posts

I use predominantly extreme performance tires, so no N spec. Never had an issue.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

You have my 2 cents, dhc3. Posted here for the discussion:

• Get the tire you want, first and foremost, regardless of N-spec availability
  • If it’s available in both N-spec and non-N-spec + premium = less than 10% or so… go N-spec - why not?
I’ve actually seen the same tire (believe it was the PS2’s) in both and they were different. So tuned to Porsche specs? I suppose they are.

That said, I had a set of N-spec PS2’s on the Boxster and loved them. Made for the best wet weather car I’ve ever driven.

Then, I spoke with the Micheline boys at Parade in Vermont about the, then, upcoming PS4S’s. “So, what’s gonna be better about this tire?” to which they replied without blinking “everything, absolutely everything...”. So, when the PS2’s wore down, I saddled up non-N-spec PS4S’s. And, in my opinion, they were right. Flippin’ tire does everything better. Ride, dry grip, wet grip, road noise. Very impressed.

Your mileage may vary, but that’s my experience so far. My reference is for stock sizes on factory 19” wheels, stock pressures.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:39 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
The PS4 development was a major effort with massive amounts of research. It then results in a major tooling of a production line, complicated processes around the tire production, mixing of specific compounds, etc. To get an N spec tire to be different - there would have to be parallel development, different compounds, research, different production line, etc. It just doesn't add-up. I'd be shocked if there was any difference at all, and even more shocked if that difference was noticeable.
It may not add up, but that's exactly what they do. Companies like Porsche and Michelin have enormous resources and capital and are willing to influence products for mutual benefit. So if you're Michelin and Porsche wants a unique product that helps them separate themselves via their competition, and you want their business by producing hundreds of thousands of tires for factory fitment, you're going to do it. For F1 Michelin used to produce a different tire for every circuit they visited. That may be apples to oranges but they wouldn't do it unless their was benefit to the company, and money to be made.

If you've been to Nurburgring you'll notice every major performance car manufacturer and accompanying industry support companies (i.e., performance tire companies) have facilities there. It's almost F1 like in that everyone is constantly pushing technology forward to push performance forward. You sit still in this industry you'll falter. Tire companies are willing to make spec tires for far more than just Porsche. They aren't losing money by doing so.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:03 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
It may not add up, but that's exactly what they do. Companies like Porsche and Michelin have enormous resources and capital and are willing to influence products for mutual benefit. So if you're Michelin and Porsche wants a unique product that helps them separate themselves via their competition, and you want their business by producing hundreds of thousands of tires for factory fitment, you're going to do it. For F1 Michelin used to produce a different tire for every circuit they visited. That may be apples to oranges but they wouldn't do it unless their was benefit to the company, and money to be made.

If you've been to Nurburgring you'll notice every major performance car manufacturer and accompanying industry support companies (i.e., performance tire companies) have facilities there. It's almost F1 like in that everyone is constantly pushing technology forward to push performance forward. You sit still in this industry you'll falter. Tire companies are willing to make spec tires for far more than just Porsche. They aren't losing money by doing so.
I still don't buy it. I think it all comes down to marketing - which clearly is working btw! But yes, if N-spec is reasonably close in price, why not.

This isn't unique to the industry - every gear industry has the same marketing strategy from boats to tennis racquets to fishing poles to downhill skis - put an ounce of carbon in it, a different top sheet, or logo on it and it now is different in the eyes of the consumer, can be branded differently, and command a premium. I get why they do it, just not sure I buy into it.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

Will a N spec designed for a later model Porsche perform better than a Non N on my earlier model Porsche?
Will my wife notice the difference between the worn down Michelin xIce on her XC90 and new Goodyear winter tires rated "best" by discount tire (just like the Michelins are) that are $25 bucks a tire cheaper? Which will wear longer? The Michelins get us three winters and a summer.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:06 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
I personally think the concept that Michelin makes a different tire in 18" vs. 19", branded as the same MPSS#, with a different compound or specs to qualify for an "N" stamp doesn't make sense to me from a development, design, or manufacturing perspective.

Tire Rack isn't influenced by N rated tires. I used their Decision Guide for a 981S with 19" wheels, and they recommended 3 tires, none of which had the N rating. Bottom line Tire Rack favors Michelin PS 4S with or without N rating.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:56 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

I'm going K-spec for mine btw... That is the Ferrari spec. I hear it adds at least 40hp.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:04 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
...N spec tires are the result of a collaborative effort between Porsche and the tire maker to optimize road performance.
And that is the only verifiable statement regarding N-spec tires for your Porsche.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:37 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 435 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by billwot
And that is the only verifiable statement regarding N-spec tires for your Porsche.
From Porsche: "Porsche has detailed guidelines for the properties of tires fitted as original equipment, defining precise criteria for their development and specification. The result is tires that are specifically developed to guarantee the excellent driving characteristics every Porsche is built for."

From Michelin: I've spoken with a Michelin development engineer who confirmed that they work closely with a number of auto manufacturers (including Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, etc.) to develop tires specifically to their requirements that result in a design that will differ from the "generic" model. He did indicate that the use of a "generic" tire would certainly work on any car, however the tires designed for the manufacturers will bring out the best in the car it's designed for.

So, I guess the decision is really up to you the buyer to decide if the premium is worth it to you.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:02 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 575 Posts

I'll offer a comment on Porsche dealerships and N-rated tires. I had looked sometime back at a new Carrera T and had the dealership give me a quote on trading my Gen-1 Spyder in. When I purchased the Spyder a year and a half earlier I had the dealer, some provinces away, pre-shipping put new PS4s on and it thought all was good. On inspection for the trade in it was discovered the PS4's were not N-rated and they decreased their offer. So for trade in purposes, if one is considering a Porsche dealer, then perhaps sourcing N-rated tires would be the way to go.

In the end, I agree with the sentiments of others here. The PS4's are EXCELLENT tires and who would ever be able to tell the difference between a non-N or N-rated? Reminds me of the Bausch & Lomb contact lens scandal a couple of years ago where they were selling the same lens, marketed as different, for vastly different sums of money. The only differnece was the marketing materials.

Quick Reply: To N or not to N?