Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To N or not to N?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 07:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Tire Rack's primary function in life is to make money. They aren't in business to decide for you what tire to buy and only offer those. They know people pinch pennies and are happy to take advantage of a lower cost option. I'm a mere mortal. Am I going to tell any difference between a tire optimized for my car versus the generic version? Probably not. But if I buy the generic version and if it ever gives me feedback like it's not behaving the way I think it should, or it doesn't last as long as I think it should, I'll wonder if the optimized version was better in those regards and if so was probably worth the price difference. My bottom line is if there's an N version of the tire I want for my application, then I'll buy it. If there isn't I won't care.
On Tire Rack's decision guide, I listed every performance category as most important and price as least important. Nevertheless Tire Rack selected PS 4S without the N rating. The N rated P zeros which I replaced were noisy, handled poorly in the rain, and wore quickly. So I wasn't about to order them again, despite the N rating. BTW the non N rated PS 4S cost about $100 more than the N rated P zeros.

Quick Reply: To N or not to N?