Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here running Braum S8 seats? Looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 01:00 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Question Anyone here running Braum S8 seats? Looking for feedback

Hey Guys, Since my 987 sees mostly track use I'm looking to replace my stock seats for something with a bit more bolstering. Not ready to go full out race seat quite yet, but I feel these are a good intermediary step. I'm curious to know if any of you have experience with Braum seats, and even more specifically the S8. All the reviews I've read so far have been great,but wanted to check here first before I buy them. Also, any recommendation on mounting brackets would be great as well. I'll also be installing a bolt in roll bar and 5 point harnesses.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm using the Recaro Sportster CS which I picked up from Cantrell Motorsports. They're setup with a sub belt mount and then I use their cage for the shoulders, they work great on the track, nice compromise seat for a great seat on the street while still having some good holding. Mine also have heat which is nice.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:07 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ramans
I'm using the Recaro Sportster CS which I picked up from Cantrell Motorsports. They're setup with a sub belt mount and then I use their cage for the shoulders, they work great on the track, nice compromise seat for a great seat on the street while still having some good holding. Mine also have heat which is nice.
Those are great seats! I pulled the trigger on the Braums' last night. Also ordered their custom mounting brackets, hardware, and 5 point harnesses. All should arrive in the next 2 weeks. Going to pick up a harness bar to use for now until I get a cage. I'll post a video of the install and initial review once they arrive.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Hey Guys. I spent a few hours yesterday installing the new seats. Full install vid will be posted to Youtube in the next few days. I'm satisfied with the feel and quality of the seats thus far, and the microfiber suede grips nicely. The seats sit about 2" lower that stock. Total weight savings combined was 49.5 lbs (including all hardware). I used the Planted Technology seat brackets which were a perfect fit, except for the bolts that connect the sliders to the bracket. There was about 1/8" thread sticking out past the lock nut on the bottom of the mount which prevented it from sitting flush on the tub, so I cut off the excess threads and viola! I also took the time to remove the plug and wiring in the main harness for the seat belts, and re-used them on the new seats so that the seat belt warning light wouldn't be on all the time. Pretty happy over all, so we'll see how they feel on the track. Next up is a roll bar and racing harnesses.

Braum S8 Racing Seat in Porsche Cayman 987.1

Braum S8 Racing Seat in Porsche Cayman 987.1

Planted Seat Bracket for Cayman 987
Old 03-13-2019, 09:15 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The seats look great! What roll bar are you planning on using?
Old 03-13-2019, 02:48 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HalV
The seats look great! What roll bar are you planning on using?
Thanks! Originally was going to go with a GMG roll bar, but I dont think they make them anymore, so looking at the one from Tarrett.

https://www.tarett.com/items/986-987...130-detail.htm

Old 03-13-2019, 04:45 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

I am also thinking about going with GMG so I contacted them last week and they said that they still make them.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

I am also thinking about going with GMG so I contacted them last week and they said that they still make them.
Good to know! I'll have to give them a call then. I was simply browsing their website and didn't see them on there anymore.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:04 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Here is the video I made during the install.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:54 PM
higlesias
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Good job on the video. It's not easy working on the car AND documenting what you are doing. A thankless job really, but it matters to us. Kudos.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by higlesias
Good job on the video. It's not easy working on the car AND documenting what you are doing. A thankless job really, but it matters to us. Kudos.
Thanks! My hope is that the video may help others someday.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:25 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the video. It'll definitely help me install my seats. I'm looking forward to your rollbar install video. Did you decide which one you'll be installing?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the video. It'll definitely help me install my seats. I'm looking forward to your rollbar install video. Did you decide which one you'll be installing?
I'm going with GMG, although I have not purchased it yet. Will most likely place the order in the beginning of May. I've got my fun money tied up in more track wheels/tires at the moment.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:48 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Cantrell Motorsport also makes a very clean installing bar. I've seen it on a friends 987 and it's beautiful, I have their 981 piece and it's also a work of art. Only thing you can see int he rear view mirror is the cross piece.

Quick Reply: Anyone here running Braum S8 seats? Looking for feedback