Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Dash Clock Options...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 09:09 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,695 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by av8bpilot
I'm having a hell of a time finding the pre-terminated leads, as the links in the original posts are dead. Anybody who has done this have updated links/ideas? Looking to tackle this soon. Thanks!
A quick look on eBay shows the pins, preterminated pins, more preterminated pins, and the connectors (I think).
Search terms for off eBay can include AMP, TE, MQS, Tyco, automotive, 6-way, 1.25mm, and stuff like that...
As noted above, if you buy the right connector body, the preterminated pins simply push in and lock, as opposed to my work, which needed them to be aligned then epoxied in place.

It took me ages to resolve the BMW part number on the Sport Chrono connector!

Heat shrink, and '356' cloth loom tape can then be used to tidy-up and avoid that high-school project look.

Good luck!
Neko

The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (07-22-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:05 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 227 Posts

here is an eBay link to a bundle with 10 of the pins: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-BM...53.m1438.l2649
Old 07-22-2020, 01:15 PM
av8bpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got around to doing this little mod and it turned out nicely; happy with the result. I need to check if the chrono function still operates in the cluster or not - forgot to verify. EDIT: It does not. It still appears on the menu, but pushing the stalk does nothing. Oh well, it's not like I used it anyhow.

I have enough material to fab up another harness if another user is interested. I'll let it go for $20 shipped CONUS like Hatzenbach. Just hit me up with a DM and I can assemble it for you. If you want to go the DIY route, here are the sources for parts I used. These are US suppliers with consistent links. My ebay searches kept running into dead ends.

Snap-in Connector: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rrencycode=USD
Pre-terminated leads: https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/437...130005198.html

Last edited by av8bpilot; 07-23-2020 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Chrono function
Old 07-22-2020, 10:25 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

I finally got around to doing this little mod and it turned out nicely; happy with the result. I need to check if the chrono function still operates in the cluster or not - forgot to verify.

I have enough material to fab up another harness if another user is interested. I'll let it go for $20 shipped CONUS like Hatzenbach. Just hit me up with a DM and I can assemble it for you. If you want to go the DIY route, here are the sources for parts I used. These are US suppliers with consistent links. My ebay searches kept running into dead ends.
That's some seriously deep searching there, impressed!
Pics of the install?

Old 07-22-2020, 10:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Has anyone added a dash instrument to a 987 that didn't have the instrument pod? I'm curious how you aligned and made the cutouts and the hole.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:18 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I finally got around to doing this little mod and it turned out nicely; happy with the result. I need to check if the chrono function still operates in the cluster or not - forgot to verify.

Hi,

I've sent you a PM on the spare harness. I'm interested.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:23 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Has anyone added a dash instrument to a 987 that didn't have the instrument pod? I'm curious how you aligned and made the cutouts and the hole.
Hi,
YES! I can;t find the link know but someone actually cut a hole in the dash to do this. Ballsy!
Old 08-19-2020, 05:28 AM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Decided to not trouble myself with a rewiring job and added this cheap China made analog clock instead. Serves the purpose and doesn't look too bad to me.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:57 PM
av8bpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Snapped a pic showing the lighting.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:11 PM
6ixof1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just thinking today to replace the useless sport chrono and a little internet search later found this page. I initially thought of getting a digital gauge to plug into the OBD port but the VDO analog clock is a nice semi retro touch. thanks to the others that have done the legwork and shred the links I will soon follow in your Giant Steps. Thank you all!
Old 11-22-2020, 05:09 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 6ixof1
I was just thinking today to replace the useless sport chrono and a little internet search later found this page. I initially thought of getting a digital gauge to plug into the OBD port but the VDO analog clock is a nice semi retro touch. thanks to the others that have done the legwork and shred the links I will soon follow in your Giant Steps. Thank you all!
Neato...
Someone should make the pig-tail / adapter and sell, bundled with the VDO clock!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
6ixof1 (11-23-2020), SoCalDan (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 05:03 PM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 70 Posts

I'll take a premade connector if anyone has one for sale. Saves me the trouble.
The following users liked this post:
6ixof1 (11-23-2020)
Old 01-06-2024, 02:56 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
When I took out the Sport Chrono unit, the protective glass didn't come out.
But yes, I used the 4 adjustment screws and it swivels just like the Sport Chrono did
@Hatzenbach with my trim removal tools out, and my auto-lights-on module in one hand, I took the op to remount my VDO clock from the rear instead of the front.
I wrapped a single layer of Tesa tape around the ferrule, and the 1.5mm hex head grub screws tighten up on it perfectly snug.
Looks tidier now for sure... thanks for the tip!

Old 01-08-2024, 05:33 PM
akirasan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going in the opposite direction, has anyone found a block plate when removing the bump entirely? When I was running a turbo I had my boost gauge there but that I'm back to atmo I'd rather just have it gone.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:46 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by akirasan
Going in the opposite direction, has anyone found a block plate when removing the bump entirely? When I was running a turbo I had my boost gauge there but that I'm back to atmo I'd rather just have it gone.
The hole is ugly, and any plate would just have to sit over, perhaps matching the shape of the OEM sport chrono housing?
Race car fitting though, covered in race-tex or mouse fur might look OK...

Quick Reply: Cayman Dash Clock Options...