Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 11:10 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Love this thread!
I lived in Tokyo from 69 to 71, great place for a 12 yr old boy to grow up! I loved my time there!
Here's my first car, 1968 Toyota Sports 800. My Dad bought it in Japan and when we came back to the U.S. he had it shipped. So I was driving this around as a teenager in San Antonio Texas!

The following 5 users liked this post by sasilverbullet:
BWJones (12-29-2022), Dupla (12-31-2022), nzskater (12-29-2022), Racer Boy (12-29-2022), SCMike (12-31-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 11:24 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Indeed, and agreed.
I guess the general acceptance of speed limits, and respect for authority suggests active policing of such is less of a need in Japan.
In other words, the percentage of hoons willing to take exception to limits is a lot lower here than in other countries?
Only a few Monaro and no bogan-donk here for example (but a guy in Shibuya does have a Maloo).

Four weeks!
Dreamy... feel free to post pics here accordingly as I am sure a Golf R still makes the cut, especially as that route includes some amazing places.
Shikoku alone could consume as many weeks...
Haven't seen a full bogan wagon yet, though you could count Camaro's etc and there are a few around. Would love to see a Maloo hooning through Ginza.

I didn't take many (good) photos on our trip, and they're all digital so won't inflict too many on this thread. Most places we visited were super quiet as it was pre borders opening, and still not warm enough to entice locals out - w often had scenic spots and beaches to ourselves.

VW workshop in Ise

Old Honda slowly decaying in Onomichi, Hiroshima, think it is owned by the local shrine

An Ojiisan contemplating life in Onomichi, Hiroshima

A narrow coastal road in Etajima, Hiroshima

Fukutoku Inari Sarina on the coast, Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi

Group of old boys looking like they're doing a road trip around Kyushu on postie bikes, Sasebo, Kyushu - there were 4-5 of them in total. Couldn't imagine a better retirement mission.

Switch backs from Yufuin up to Mt Yufu - this road was so good I did 3 runs up it...

Always impressed by the level of prep Japanese people do when camping - expect these guys were only here for one night, but they had enough equipment to last a month. Saikai, Nagasaki

Local fisherman enjoying a quiet ciggy on the lake, Arita, Saga

Graveyards get the best sunset views, Saikai, Nagasaki

Rice fields, Takachiho, Miyazaki

Interesting mix of accessories. The weed leaf air freshener and seat covers work really well together...
Attached Images             

Last edited by nzskater; 01-03-2023 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Racer Boy (01-05-2023)
Old 12-30-2022, 07:42 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,744 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Love this thread!
I lived in Tokyo from 69 to 71, great place for a 12 yr old boy to grow up! I loved my time there!
Here's my first car, 1968 Toyota Sports 800. My Dad bought it in Japan and when we came back to the U.S. he had it shipped. So I was driving this around as a teenager in San Antonio Texas!
That's an awesome story!
There's a lot to like about a Sports 800; aircraft-like construction, extensive use of aluminum panels, lift-out roof, and most importantly, that thrummy air-cooled flat twin that sounds like half a 356.
San Antonio must have been an interesting place for one?
A friend drives an S600 in Oklahoma City, and describes it as challenging sometimes.

Originally Posted by nzskater
Haven't seen a full bogan wagon yet, though you could count Camaro's etc and there are a few around. Would love to see a Maloo hooning through Ginza.
I didn't take many (good) photos on our trip, and they're all digital so won't inflict too many on this thread. Most places we visited were super quiet as it was pre borders opening, and still not warm enough to entice locals out - w often had scenic spots and beaches to ourselves.
Gah!
Pics did not load?
Touring Japan under Covid-19 restrictions has certainly been nice, with no crowds for sure.

Hopefully, these photographs will load...

Our primary destination for this trip was the fishing village of Ine in Kyoto-ken.

Built down to the water, the funeya (boathouse) have the living quarters above.
That seagull saw my camera, and jumped on a bollard - I was expecting a request for food after.

Many kura have been restored, or in some cases reformed into bed-and-breakfast accommodations.
The heron and tortoise kamon was common in the area.

The views out over the quiet bays are very nice.
Boat excursions over the crystal clear water are available too, and are recommended for the tourists.

While many funeya and kura have been restored or reformed, many buildings remain in their original state and form (no showers, TVs, or mini bars).

With kura being an essential part of rural life, the small plots from the road to the water were often crammed with a kura and funeya.

The non-bay side of the streets have conventional houses.
A good demonstration too, as to why kei truck are necessary in Japan.

The streets and houses are all nicely kept.

There are three or four consecutive bays that make up the whole still-active fishing community.

There's still plenty of opportunity in the area.

The main street of a nearby town, and the building above on the left.
Western style coffee shops already infiltrating a bit further down.

In many places the wangan (bayside) routes are as great to drive as the touge!

(Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Portra 160.)

The following 7 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (12-30-2022), Dupla (12-31-2022), Muni (12-31-2022), nzskater (01-03-2023), sasilverbullet (12-31-2022), SCMike (12-31-2022), TMc993 (12-31-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-31-2022, 12:02 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

That's an awesome story!
There's a lot to like about a Sports 800; aircraft-like construction, extensive use of aluminum panels, lift-out roof, and most importantly, that thrummy air-cooled flat twin that sounds like half a 356.
San Antonio must have been an interesting place for one?
A friend drives an S600 in Oklahoma City, and describes it as challenging sometimes.

(Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Portra 160.)
72 to 75 is when I was driving it. Unfortunately I was sitting at a light and was rear ended, that ended that car!

Another note, while in Japan we used to vacation often in the town called Toi. It's on the coast, I remember it was about a 3-4 hour drive from Tokyo. We always stayed at a traditional hotel. I looked it up on google maps and it's still there! My Dad became friends with the owners. I loved walking down to the beach and seeing/smelling all the fish drying on racks. Good thing I'm a sea food fan! Anyone, I miss it, would love to return for a lengthy visit. My wife is award winning quilter and she would love to quilt with some folks in Japan. The Japanese women make the most beautiful quilts in the world! We've seen quite a few of them at the International Quilt Show in Houston, Texas.
The following 2 users liked this post by sasilverbullet:
BWJones (01-02-2023), forestial (01-01-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 03:04 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
72 to 75 is when I was driving it. Unfortunately I was sitting at a light and was rear ended, that ended that car!

Another note, while in Japan we used to vacation often in the town called Toi. It's on the coast, I remember it was about a 3-4 hour drive from Tokyo. We always stayed at a traditional hotel. I looked it up on google maps and it's still there! My Dad became friends with the owners. I loved walking down to the beach and seeing/smelling all the fish drying on racks. Good thing I'm a sea food fan! Anyone, I miss it, would love to return for a lengthy visit. My wife is award winning quilter and she would love to quilt with some folks in Japan. The Japanese women make the most beautiful quilts in the world! We've seen quite a few of them at the International Quilt Show in Houston, Texas.
Sorry to hear about the rear-ending!
It does not surprise me about the quilting either, as that's a typical Japanese response to many things; pizza, bagels, cakes, there's always a world winning expert of some sort here.

Toi, on Izu Hanto is in a great area:

The West Izu Skyline is a great touge, and well worth the trip from Tokyo.
Just avoid the summer beach crowds I guess...

Curiously, the last time I drove the Skyline was in the company of a few Yota-Hachi:

It was a few years ago now, so a return visit should be made!

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 01-02-2023 at 03:07 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (01-02-2023), nzskater (01-03-2023), Oileater (01-02-2023), Racer Boy (01-08-2023), sasilverbullet (01-11-2024)
Old 01-03-2023, 06:43 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Gah!
Pics did not load?
Touring Japan under Covid-19 restrictions has certainly been nice, with no crowds for sure.

Hopefully, these photographs will load...
I have a lot of dislike for the way this forum works... The pictures were there for me on my laptop, but not on my mobile. Attached again, working now though no longer have titles in line.

The roads down to and around Izu are great fun. Rented a 997.2 for a week on a birthday trip to Japan (was still living in NZ at the time) and spent a few days staying in Shimoda. Immediately wanted to live there as a result. Slightly confused with why Hawaii is so popular with Japanese people given how stunning the beaches are here.

Last edited by nzskater; 01-03-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:13 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

I have a lot of dislike for the way this forum works... The pictures were there for me on my laptop, but not on my mobile. Attached again, working now though no longer have titles in line.
The roads down to and around Izu are great fun. Rented a 997.2 for a week on a birthday trip to Japan (was still living in NZ at the time) and spent a few days staying in Shimoda. Immediately wanted to live there as a result. Slightly confused with why Hawaii is so popular with Japanese people given how stunning the beaches are here.
It took me a while to resolve how to reliably make in-line photographs work... and still mess it up sometimes.
Thanks for correcting though, as there's some great pics there!

Shimoda and Izu Hanto are indeed great; that is if you can avoid the summer crowds.
Living there would be a lot easier, especially with work-from-home allowances these days!

Old 01-07-2023, 02:56 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

We had a bit of distance to travel, so jumped on the expressway for a quick run South.

Once again though, getting off early to do some exploring of less driven roads.

Our accommodation for the night was a reformed Meiji-era shop house.

Walking the local streets.

Our destination the next day, was the Ise Shima Skyline.
We've driven it a few times before, and were keen to get the Cayman out again for both the fantastic views, and some great driving.

The road itself has an excellent surface, is safe, with plenty places to support passing, bursts of speed, and some great corners to enjoy the PDK second to third bark.
By the end of the run, the Cayman was smelling heavily of brakes, exhaust was popping regularly, and the passenger was suggesting she was glad we had finished.

Unlike our previous runs though, we had the time to turn West and not back to Tokyo in the East.
This allowed us to do some more exploring, and drive the Pearl Road too, another excellent touge in the area.
I love Showa Modern architecture, and particularly this house style.

Some quick snaps from the area.

After lunch overlooking one of the bays, we again went off onto some of the smaller roads.

The views though, continued to entertain...

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 01-07-2023 at 02:59 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (01-07-2023), Cayman292 (01-07-2023), likethebossiam (01-07-2023), Muni (01-07-2023), nzskater (01-07-2023), Racer Boy (01-08-2023), SCMike (01-07-2023), TMc993 (01-07-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2023, 04:36 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

How great is the Ise Shima Skyline! We stayed in Ise one night, toured the shrines and town, then took an evening hoon west to east - sublime. Road was very empty, with only 6 cars parked at the viewpoint on the top. I expect there are many great drives around that peninsula, and the area itself was beautiful. One of the many places in Japan I could spend a lot of time in.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:27 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

How great is the Ise Shima Skyline! We stayed in Ise one night, toured the shrines and town, then took an evening hoon west to east - sublime. Road was very empty, with only 6 cars parked at the viewpoint on the top. I expect there are many great drives around that peninsula, and the area itself was beautiful. One of the many places in Japan I could spend a lot of time in.
Yes!
We need to go back yet again, as though we did the circuit below over two days, and stayed at the Miyako highlighted, there are indeed many more roads we were not able to explore.
Plus, there's a lot more further West on the way to Wakayama.

Little mountain inns, onsen, food, touge, views, locals to talk to, it just keeps going...

Old 01-13-2023, 09:36 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

The last series of photographs from our recent tour West...

As per the above maps, we took a bit of extra time after promising ourselves we would come back to the area and do some more exploring.
We were not disappointed; with more good driving roads and interesting things to explore.
The colors were lovely.

Once again (as per well above) a disused school with another variation of a Sontoku statue.
I imagined the Showa-era school committee discussing the need and costs of building a new portico on the Taisho-era building.

Some of the roads were completely empty, allowing us to stop anywhere for pics.

As we often find, the wangan (bayshore) routes are as nice as the touge.

Great views from many vantage points.

Peak Showa-era house design.
Suitably fortress-like on a cliff top overlooking the bays.
With ever-present typhoon threat, this still makes great sense.

Hotels of the similar era, now disused, if not actually abandoned.

The final leg of our journey used the Ise Wan Ferry, for the run back East to Tokyo.

Packed into the car deck.
Even the motorcycles get their wheels chocked by diligent attendants scurrying about as you unload for the upper passenger decks.

East side of the Ise Wan and the expressway run back to Tokyo.

Even though it was a weekend, the run was relatively clear and we could again open the Cayman up.
See ya!

(Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Kodak Portra 160.)

The following 8 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (01-14-2023), GeoJoe (01-14-2023), kiznarsh (01-15-2023), Muni (01-14-2023), nzskater (01-14-2023), Racer Boy (01-14-2023), SCMike (01-14-2023), TMc993 (01-14-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-20-2023, 08:01 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Boring, boring, boring... back to routine life.
No touge here.

Back home, and tanking up for a quick run to the garage to get the Cayman's number plate updated.

Usually, it's a dump-and-run but with only an hour or so to kill, I took a walk around the local area, looking for a morning coffee.
This parts store appeared to be more a collector's hoard, than a going concern.

Sunday morning, closed pachiniko parlor looking like something in the wide open spaces of Texas.
No bullet holes anywhere though.

Peak 1990s' sled.
Tinted tail lights, mobile phone antenna AND TV antenna, bloated aero kit, small wooden handle, oji-san door guards, illuminated license plate, rear sunshade, and gold trimmed badges and wheels.
I could smell the Brylcreem on the seat doily from this distance.

Dis-used gas station.

Winter skies.

The coffee house I found, looked like it had closed in the 1960s.
Though, I am not quite sure what 'Canadian Coffee' is exactly.
But, reasonably sure it would contain maple syrup or some facsimile of?

A yard of US army, fire department, and other utility vehicle surplus.

Forward control Land Rover from the UK and Chev truck.

With a nearby SDF base, I sat and watched an Osprey squadron do touch-and-goes.
Fortunately, none crashed.
This day at least...

Regardless of how dodgy their air-frame and avionics are, watching them transition from vertical to level flight is pretty awesome.
Damn, they are many times louder than conventional rotaries though.

New number, the next day...
The following 4 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (01-20-2023), Cayman292 (01-21-2023), Muni (01-20-2023), TMc993 (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 05:02 AM
Goonfather
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

As always, your stories are nothing short of interesting and a fascinating insight into the country - Do you plan your trips in advance and know points of interest that you will come across or do you also stumble across sites and garner off local knowledge?
Old 01-21-2023, 07:48 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

What happened to the “9-87” plate?
Old 01-21-2023, 09:09 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Goonfather
As always, your stories are nothing short of interesting and a fascinating insight into the country - Do you plan your trips in advance and know points of interest that you will come across or do you also stumble across sites and garner off local knowledge?
Good question!
We generally choose one main objective - this last one, the fishing town of Ine - then simply plot the number of days drive to get there and back.
Along the way, we use this map to determine an appropriate route via as many touge as we can fit in, adding in any local attractions we can find.
With each day we try to limit to three or four hours' driving, to allow us to explore whatever we discover or other locations we may be aware of.

Early arrival at ryokan sometimes to allow us to walk the town, or sit in an onsen and relax...
Nothing better!

Originally Posted by SCMike
What happened to the “9-87” plate?
They have to get returned to the registration authority, as otherwise I would have kept one...

If you're asking why?
In which case the Shinagawa plates get a lot of looks and comments across Japan, especially on a Porsche.
The Sodegaura plates, are more stealthy.

Plus, we took the op to match the 41-22 ('good couple') on the CX.
We could have had a Sodegaura 9-87, but where's the fun in that?

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 01-21-2023 at 09:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
Goonfather (01-26-2023), joliver3 (01-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.