Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 08:52 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Good question!
We generally choose one main objective - this last one, the fishing town of Ine - then simply plot the number of days drive to get there and back.
Along the way, we use this map to determine an appropriate route via as many touge as we can fit in, adding in any local attractions we can find.
With each day we try to limit to three or four hours' driving, to allow us to explore whatever we discover or other locations we may be aware of.

Early arrival at ryokan sometimes to allow us to walk the town, or sit in an onsen and relax...
Nothing better!

They have to get returned to the registration authority, as otherwise I would have kept one...

If you're asking why?
In which case the Shinagawa plates get a lot of looks and comments across Japan, especially on a Porsche.
The Sodegaura plates, are more stealthy.

Plus, we took the op to match the 41-22 ('good couple') on the CX.
We could have had a Sodegaura 9-87, but where's the fun in that?
Ahhh, the most sensible pairing of a 987 with a CX-5. Me too! Just got a new CX-5 Signature to share the garage with the 987. That Mazda makes for a great handling, brilliantly executed, practical daily driver.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:09 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,692 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
Ahhh, the most sensible pairing of a 987 with a CX-5. Me too! Just got a new CX-5 Signature to share the garage with the 987. That Mazda makes for a great handling, brilliantly executed, practical daily driver.
Indeed!
After many years' of Honda, their latest models are way too chintzy and over-styled.
The Mazda is Porsche-like in its materials and design, plus the functionality is awesome tech - the HUD, adaptive LED headlights, AWD system, info, and navi - so, it was an easy choice.
We put +1 Geolandar on it for a bit more bite off road.

This is a local Market variation Black Tone, and no idea how that equates with Western models... We love it though.

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 01-23-2023 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:04 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Recent(-ish) run to the Tokyo Bayside Classic Cup.
Parked with the 50 Jahr, and had a C2 too on return.

After the TBCC, the circuit was booked for an Abarth afternoon.

Full report, with some interviews in Issue 20 of Classic. Retro. Modern. magazine, on sale from tomorrow.

Kenmeri in the car park.

Strange faded poster on sign on the way home.

Hayashi wheels on a 2002!

Beat vs. Pious.

Trick of the perspective I think, as Hachi-Roku aren't that big...
The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (01-30-2023), joliver3 (01-30-2023), Muni (02-02-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 10:17 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Not much touring happening lately, just work and some light house maintenance...

We did get out for a lunch down the coast, and as noted previously, with so many nice roads in the area most weekends have groups of friends out - either bikes or cars.
Here, a loose group of friends collates after a suitable clear winter day top-down drive.

The same Crystal Red as our CX.
Rendered a bit flat on film.

Over-exposed white companions in the harsh winter light.
First serious comments too on having a local number plate received.

Random S660 passes a Cappuccino and more Roadster.
Hot coffee and the open road in the background...

The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (02-24-2023), Muni (02-26-2023), Racer Boy (02-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 10:49 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

I was thinking today that you haven't posted in a while...Glad to see you back.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:10 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TMc993
I was thinking today that you haven't posted in a while...Glad to see you back.
Thanks... lurking, if not posting...
Old 03-17-2023, 10:58 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

High-speed film, on a really sunny day, and fully closed aperture giving a rather heavy vignette...
The joy of film!

We took a drive down the coast for a sushi lunch.

Cape Nojima has a great little harbor, and is filled with fresh fish restaurants accordingly.
It is a popular weekend destination for bikes and cars out for a drive.

There's a few quiet walks after lunch too, including a shrine to the ***** and vagina, and a lighthouse you can climb.
(Camera: Nikon 28Ti. Film: Kodak Portra 400.)

I forgot to cross-post this too, but more pics from Japan (some from this thread too) in the latest copy of Classic. Retro. Modern. magazine.

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 03-17-2023 at 11:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (03-19-2023), Muni (03-18-2023), nzskater (03-18-2023), Racer Boy (03-26-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 10:24 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Cold, gray day at the track...

'Does this Beat make my Seven look big?'

It might have been stock, but this GT4 sounded phantasmagorically great flat-out, down the main straight!

One of Michelotti's greatest hits; the canted quad lamps, first used on the Skyline Sport, then here on the Vitesse.
With Spitfire under-pinnings, in this form it makes a great little machine for the twisties...

Healey Sprite.

AMG rubs shoulders with classic Datsun.

Not quite accurate plate.

I know it looks like an AZ-1, but this is the lesser-known M2 1015.
It could carry quite a lot of speed into the corners, but just took a long time to get it up there.

Fairladys transition from white machines to red.

How to make your Alfa Spider look tough!

A lot of aero on this NSX, which at least on the day, did not translate into anything too impressive.
I was however impressed it was using similarly massive fender flares to my old S800.

1930s' MG, and I forget which year exactly...

Suitably matching pit garage mates; 2.0L S and S600.
Both making an equally spine-tingling noise on full throttle.

A classic of the Japanese car scene - as Lancia made a Japanese market Integrale, and their take-up here was very high.
With typical Japanese care, they are now being discovered on the market outside of Japan, bringing many times their usual price here.

The Ami 6 has always intrigued me, and Citroen are popular in Japan.
If you're looking for a small diversion, here's a great clip on similar:

With mostly Fairlady running gear (I think, do not quote me), the first Silvia is a real classic, yet to be discovered outside of Japan.
Restomodding (gasp!) one might have been on my agenda if I had the garage space, and a desire to own a Datsun.

A great selection of track-day fun.
I try not to dispense advice to other drivers, but one day I was compelled to advise an M-series BMW driving friend to not try and catch a Europa through the tight twisties, as they can really move (if you can get in one that is)!

This Bug-Eye also looked suitably track-prepped and I still recall the singularly most terrifying ride I've ever had in my short life; in the passenger seat of similar, hanging on for dear life, as the driver attempted to show me why his car was better than my 911.
I quickly concurred...

(Camera: Nikon 28Ti. Film: Fuji 400.)
The following 6 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (03-25-2023), dcsjc (03-25-2023), Muni (03-25-2023), Racer Boy (03-26-2023), SCMike (03-25-2023), TMc993 (03-24-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-31-2023, 10:34 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

I forget what our destination was, but a few weeks ago we went exploring...

This huge nagaya-mon (long-gate) had been reformed, and although the kura has lost some of its lime render, was also in good condition.

Another nagaya-mon in Boso Hanto in good condition.
With domestic tourism still increasing, the price of rural homes has increased nearly 10% across the country since the onset of COVID-19.
Citi prices have remained very much the same, increasing just the typical one, or two percent.

More over-nighters, bed-and-breakfasts, cafe, and restaurants are popping up all over Boso Hanto, and old-style minka, kura, and mon are a popular starting place.

This shop truck has seen better days.

Another Showa-era barber.

We stopped for hand-drawn coffee at an old train station.
On the Kominato-sen, it is a popular destination for weekend tourists and train otaku.

The station and nearby taxi rank embracing the wabi-sabi ethos.

The diesel, one-man car is a great trip, trundling through the rice fields and valleys.

The coffee too is excellent, and if journeys are your thing, a trip from Tokyo for the coffee would make a great day out.
Here is the coffee shop, and continuing down the line to the coast would be a good idea too.

Many stations across Japan have resident cats.
At a few stations, because the traffic is low, and because there is no one to manage the station after hours, the cats have been appointed as station-masters (hats, caps, and uniforms included).
It is not known if sleepy-head here has aspirations of taking over...

We were home mid-afternoon, for the last shot on the roll...
The following 5 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (04-01-2023), forestial (04-09-2023), Muni (04-01-2023), Racer Boy (04-01-2023), TMc993 (04-01-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 09:54 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

At the 1968 Tokyo Motor Show, Isuzu displayed their Giugiaro-penned 117 Coupe.
The most luxurious personal coupe from any Japanese manufacturer...

For the next issue of Classic. Retro. Modern. a friend of a friend kindly drove their matching Series 1 ('Handmade') 117 Coupe out to our minka for a photo session.

Of the three series and the 85,000 made, the first Handmades are the most valuable.

I managed to sneak the Cayman into one of the published pics.

The yellow, factory option Cromodora wheels, Nardi steering wheel, and full wood interior really give the car an elegant Italian feel.

After the take-over of Isuzu by GM, someone in the marketing department thought a Screaming Chicken-style (actually an Okinawan shisa, the cars' emblem mascot) hood decal was a good idea.
These 'Square Eye' versions are not as popular as the earlier 'Round Eye' and 'Handmade' series for some reason.
Perhaps popular for an entry in those 1980s' themed car meets though?

The 117 Coupe marked the start of the golden-age for the personal luxury coupe, Italian design, and innovation.
Mazda's Luce RX-87, and Familia coupes from Bertone Design fitting into the segment similarly... to be taken over by the Leopard, Soarer, and later triple-rotor Luce.

More on those to follow perhaps too.

See ya!
The following 5 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (04-22-2023), Cayman292 (04-22-2023), Jonathan_987 (04-22-2023), Racer Boy (04-21-2023), tomhartzell (04-22-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 10:06 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 121 Posts

The lines on the Isuzu trunk lid are fantastic. Great flowing design.
Old 04-21-2023, 11:47 PM
Racer Boy
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I agree!
Old 04-22-2023, 02:49 PM
Jonathan_987
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

There are two threads that are absolutely fantastic at RL: picture of your garage and this one. An insight into another world. Thank you so much!!!
Old 04-24-2023, 05:03 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Originally Posted by Racer Boy
I agree!
Yeah, a really elegant solution with the trunk lid closing over the trailing edge of the rear window.
The hand-formed stainless trims across the greenhouse also form the rain gutters, and the way the tail lights take the form of the body avoiding that tacked-on look, are just great.

Luxury items included headlight washers, rear wiper, air-heated rear window, tilt / slide electric sunroof, glass embedded radio antenna, and many more.
They really went all out!

Originally Posted by Jonathan_987
There are two threads that are absolutely fantastic at RL: picture of your garage and this one. An insight into another world. Thank you so much!!!
Thanks, as a few friends enjoy my internet freeloading from pics and stories too...

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 04-24-2023 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:51 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Nice weather, with enough light after work to sit outside and do some upgrades...

The Cayman's OEM Clarion navi was over 14 years old, and due to map format changes, no longer has updates available.
In touring wide and far, too many road options are not available - everything from complete new towns in and around Sendai and the tsunami zone, to new expressways and similar (nothing worse than being told to take an exit, only to find the expressway continues for many km instead).

Newer, full function navi start at 150,000 yen.
Android option - at least here in Japan - start at 5000 yen.

The Atoto S8 Ultra was about 50,000 yen, sold on Amazon with a guarantee seemed to make a good sense.

As the OEM Clarion was shipped in Cayman, Boxster, and 911 of the era, full plug-and-play adapter kits are available.
Needed as both the OEM wiring and navi cage are not standard double-DIN.

Tear down of the Cayman center console is easy.

OEM Clarion, now for the e-trash we suppose.

It was however, fully featured.
Multiple input ports, VICS (road traffic integration), CAN bus reading, One Seg and normal free to air TV, non-Bose speaker direct driving, AM / FM radio, telephone, iPod, aux in, Bluetooth audio, and I am sure a few more things I forgot.

The adapter kit including speaker driver converter, and Wi-Fi and new GPS antenna.

New cage installed, and powering up to attach to Wi-Fi for software updates and map downloads.

Time will tell if the Android OS has benefits over conventional navi, but it is already missing One Seg TV (internet streaming instead), and VICS (Google Maps or Waze, or Car Navitime congestion instead).
I hope to install a skin or launcher to provide Cayman-style, simple widget access for essentially only; navi, telephone, BT music, and maybe NHK+ streaming.

Tips and comments from the Android navi users welcome!

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 04-29-2023 at 08:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
kiznarsh (04-29-2023), Muni (04-29-2023)

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.