Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM Help! *URGENT*

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 03:21 PM
cbaker23
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM Help! *URGENT*

So, I replaced the stock springs/ struts last night in my Boxster 987. Everything bolted down properly, etc but the steering wheel is at about a 20 degree angle to go straight. Assuming it just needs an alignment, which I was getting done this week.

However, once I hit 30 MPH I received a "PSM failure" warning. Turned the car off, light went off. Hit 30 again, it came up again. I guess my question is, could it be because a sensor isn't hooked up right in one of the wheel wells? Or is it just because the akignalig is really screwed up right now? If you have any suggestions (and maybe a recommendation as to where to look), let me know!

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2018, 03:52 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Once the alignment is done they will calibrate the steering angle sensor and that will solve the issue. You are freaking out the PSM because the steering sensor is telling it that the car is turning when the other sensors are not indicating that same thing.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:36 PM
cbaker23
Rennlist Member

That mamss sense. However, I planned on taking it to an Indy mechanic for the alignment; they won't have the software for the steering angle hookup. Is that going to be a problem, or will it figure itself out once the alignment is fixed?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2018, 05:00 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Requires a scan tool capable of running the calibration routine as far as I know. But if the alignment brings it back into spec it may be a non-issue.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I once had rear camber slip which caused massive toe on one wheel and required significant steering "correction" and resultant PSM warning. Once the alignment was fixed, quick and dirty toe correction at the track, the PSM was happy. No steering calibration required.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:39 PM
cbaker23
Rennlist Member

So here's an interesting one for ya-- they performed the alignment, but they couldn't get the passenger side rear to be in alignment (the driver's side is in the green). They noted that the rear passenger side of the car is sitting about 1/2" higher than the drivers side rear, and the unmounted bracket, as you can see in the photo. The unmounted bracket is hanging about 1.5" too high to bolt into the knuckle of the suspension, as required. Either way, I don't think that the bracket is a problem, but what is the problem is that it's so lopsided and out of alignment. Even with fixing the alignment all the way to the opposite direction to fix the alignment, it was still out of alignment. Anyone got any suggestions as to what to look at, or what could have been done wrong on the rear suspension?

Driver's side

Passenger (problem) side
Old 10-31-2018, 04:48 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Post more pics from various angles. That bracket is just to keep stuff out of the way, and is not your problem. Are you sure the strut is seated all the way? It would be very odd to suddenly have a large delta L/R.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 PM
cbaker23
Rennlist Member

Once I get the car back in my garage I will-- probably tomorrow. It's so frustrating. I'm getting worried that I bent something that shouldn't be bent, but I guess I'll just have to take the wheel off and do some investigating. I suppose it may not be seated all the way, but that seems like it would have been difficult to not catch when putting back together.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:04 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Doesn't take much of a burr or something to stop that strut from sliding down and seating fully in the knuckle. It would be worth it to go back and revisit it.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:15 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by cbaker23
Once I get the car back in my garage I will-- probably tomorrow. It's so frustrating. I'm getting worried that I bent something that shouldn't be bent, but I guess I'll just have to take the wheel off and do some investigating. I suppose it may not be seated all the way, but that seems like it would have been difficult to not catch when putting back together.
You didn't bend anything unless you wailed away on something with a sledge hammer or massive pry bar. Likely something just didn't seat all the way. And put that bracket back where it belongs!
Old 11-01-2018, 11:24 PM
cbaker23
Rennlist Member

Need to get a new bolt for the bracket. Just examined everything-- strut looks seated properly, everything is tight and nothing looks out of the ordinary or damaged.

I found out today the alignment problem was too positive of camber, and since that side is about 1/2" higher than the other, from what I've read that will cause the camber to be pretty out of whack.

The whole reason I believe the one side is higher than the other is because the lower side has an older strut (I have not had the opoopportunity to replace it, but I do have it).

Think replacing the old strut will level the car out and thus give the ability to properly align. Please tell me I'm on the right track. Lol
Old 11-02-2018, 04:59 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

That is very odd. 1/2" ride height change won't affect camber a whole lot, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 degrees at most. If everything really is seated properly, I'd guess either something is bent or the strut is the wrong part #.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:13 PM
cbaker23
Rennlist Member

So when putting the bracket back, I may or may not have broken the small metal tube coming from the caliper to the rubber brake hose. From my reading, I think this is the "brake tube"? It's the about 5" metal tube carrying brake fluid into thr caliper. Unfortunately the brake is just at the entrance of the caliper. I'm just wanting to confirm that this is the "brake tube".

On the bright side though, I got the bracket fastened 😂
Old 11-05-2018, 04:16 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Dude, if you broke the metal tube connecting the brake caliper to the rubber hose, which does indeed carry brake fluid, do not attempt to drive the car until you fix it and bleed the brakes. When you go to press the brakes that corner will shoot brake fluid everywhere and you'll have no brakes.

Also, that bracket has no impact on whatever is causing your height issue and alignment issue.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:25 PM
cbaker23
Rennlist Member

Oh no, definitely not driving it. I just need to make sure that's the name of the part before I order one! I knew that wouldn't solve anything issues with my alignment, but it was driving my OCD nuts.

Quick Reply: PSM Help! *URGENT*