Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oily engine/underbody parts after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 05:55 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Oily engine/underbody parts after oil change

Just got my car back from the dealership and was curios and looked under. It was pretty oily down there. The area right under the filter was pretty wet and also the area under the left rear passenger side where part of the suspension is (actually right under where you fill the oil in), was pretty oily. Car was absolutely dry before taking it to the dealership. Any ideas what this could be? did they just forget to clean or can it be an issue with the filter and overfill? I am bringing it back anyway to check.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:01 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 512 Likes on 326 Posts

Sloppy oil changer.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

For the prices we pay, that's very dissappointing. Blast them on the survey, you're sure to be getting.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Even after doing a dozen or so oil changes on my own Cayman I still find ways to make a mess sometimes. And that’s with a two post lift. Nonetheless, it doesn’t take that long to clean things up. Find a good Indy shop would be my advice.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:56 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 658 Posts

Also have them check the filter cover tightness (and maybe the o-ring).
Old 10-24-2018, 09:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Agreed, whoever did the change didn’t bother to wipe it clean. It’s impossible not to get oil on some of the crossmembers and it should be routine to wipe the area clean when the oil has drained.

Note that if you get an oil drip then it’s very possible that the cover wasn’t torqued properly, I learned that on my first oil change when I didn’t have the correct hex tool to reinstall the cover.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:11 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts

I am super pissed, they charged me more than 10 times of a regular oil change and don't clean or don't do the job properly. It is really not about having an oily underbody, it is about concern of some other leaks or more major issues. Now I have to drive almost 1 hour to have them check what they messed up. Is a great example that dealership is not always the better choice. The indy I know, is a one man show, super reliable and super professional, does the oil change for 200 dollars and I can watch him while he does the job. Question is really, why should I bring the car to a dealership for an oil change again? Multipoint inspection? The indy does the same and explain it to me while I am with him. The special treatment at the dealership? Thank you, don't need that. Quality job? You see what I got here. Free car wash? Even their car wash was bad, don't need that. Anyway, I will go and see what they have to say. BTW, on top of the dirty work, I have also noticed a new ticking engine noise while the car is rolling (driving and taking my foot away from the gas pedal), they have to check that too. Keep you posted.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:27 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
The indy I know, is a one man show, super reliable and super professional, does the oil change for 200 dollars and I can watch him while he does the job. Multipoint inspection? The indy does the same and explain it to me while I am with him.
I'll do all that for $100.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:54 AM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

This actually happened to me this past oil change. I accidentally overfilled the oil because I failed to factor in adding oil to the filter housing before putting it back. After running the car a day or two, I had to remove the oil filter housing to drain the excess oil and when I did, oil was dripping all over the cross bars from the filter even though I had a drip pan. I had to wipe down all those nooks and crannies and I'm sure I missed some spots. I'm betting the Porsche mechanic was not as thorough.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don’t take my Spyder to the dealer anymore, my Indy is far more meticulous and does a thorough job inspecting the car from underneath. He also charges less.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:50 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 512 Likes on 326 Posts

Just DIY. It's a lot more easier than you think. Hardest part is wait for the oil to drain.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:13 AM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I learned that on my first oil change when I didn’t have the correct hex tool to reinstall the cover.
Same here. I had an issue removing the hex tool off the cover since you cannot remove both of them attached together. The hex tool was a hair bigger than the cover, so it gets stuck when turning. So annoying.

Did you get the correct size tool eventually?

Old 10-25-2018, 01:25 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Just DIY. It's a lot more easier than you think. Hardest part is wait for the oil to drain.
haha, I would say jacking the car on 4 stands is probably more time consuming. I've got to get me some Quick Jacks.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:55 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9~factor
Same here. I had an issue removing the hex tool off the cover since you cannot remove both of them attached together. The hex tool was a hair bigger than the cover, so it gets stuck when turning. So annoying.

Did you get the correct size tool eventually?
I purchased the correct tool about a week after doing the oil change and didn’t have any issues since.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:44 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

You might consider whether the leak is from the filler tube assembly. I had leaks from that assembly twice and it has now been fixed a second time. The tell tale signs of this assembly leaking are CLEAN oil dripping directly under the motor just left of the centerline. The dripping will occur only when oil is added to the motor either when the motor is refilled after an oil change or when you top off the oil level. The dripping oil will get on the cross member as well and it is impossible to see where the leak is coming from because the filler tube terminates at the top of the motor. The fix is replacing the assembly. If you are seeing oil seeping from the filter housing then that is a different and unrelated issue. My filter housing was bone dry and so was the drain plug.

Quick Reply: Oily engine/underbody parts after oil change